Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs to give us more music options like Spotify

Are you satisfied w the current options for music/entertainment?

• Yes

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 218 91.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been about 2 weeks since I got my model 3 and ever since I find it sooo annoying that we dont get Spotify or other apps in our cars... Or cant they just toss in Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?

We have these beautiful displays in our cars and we cant use em as much..

Reasons why I hate the music service that Tesla's currently using is because it keeps bringing the same tracks over and over again and when you get tired of that and want to lookup an artist.. Then it plays one song from that artist and then starts to play some random tracks that no-one even listens to anymore........ Do y'all agree? Or have any suggestions how I can at least create my own playlists?
I agree...a few artists recycled. Love that Bloomberg is free.

You are beating a dead horse asking for CarPlay and Android Auto. Model S and X owners have asked for this feature since they were released by Apple and Google. Elon was asked about it and he replied that they would not support them.

Further, Tesla has hinted (within (I believe) the past 6 months), at developing their own (presumably paid) music subscription service for the cars.

Reactions: Don TLR
You are beating a dead horse asking for CarPlay and Android Auto. Model S and X owners have asked for this feature since they were released by Apple and Google. Elon was asked about it and he replied that they would not support them.

Further, Tesla has hinted (within (I believe) the past 6 months), at developing their own (presumably paid) music subscription service for the cars.

That's just stupid. They need to concentrate on what they do best, and leave this ancillary stuff to others.

Reactions: corlaandstan
It's good that you're not giving them advice. I agree they need to open things up for other apps but at the end of the day, I believe a lot of things they're good at is because they took it on instead of relying on other companies.

Well, 15 years later and their infotainment system is still a kludgy mess. So I'd say this is one of those areas they should just give up on. Android and Apple have this down. They should just put a radio receiver in the car, give the rest to CarPlay and Android Auto and call it a day.

I have added a couple of albums to my list (using premium Slacker on my account) and although it shows the albums in the car, it only lists them as a station (Thriller album added - shows Thriller album station).... When it's selected, it plays like a station.... Not the album.

My understanding is you can have custom playlists and full album play in slacker if you upgrade the subscription tesla pays for-which is why there is a login button albeit hidden from plain view. S and X with UHFS you can request your login credentials and change to high bit rate streaming

Slacker does not allow custom playlists even with an upgraded account. You can create a custom channel but it operates the same as the free Tesla account.

At the very least they need to make bluetooth/USB navigation of your music playlist on your apple/android device. My 5 year old Mini Cooper could do that - it was horrible, but it could do it.

I’d love to have access to Sirius, Spotify or Apple Music, but have come to terms with the omission and the fact that Tesla doesn’t want to or can’t strike a deal with them. I also know CarPlay is a dream that’ll never come true. The above is what really drives me nuts though! Every car I’ve owned for the last 6 years does this, as do all cheaper rentals I’ve had in the past few years. It’s ridiculous I can’t navigate by artist/genre/whatever for the music on my phone, when playing over Bluetooth.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Slacker does not allow custom playlists even with an upgraded account. You can create a custom channel but it operates the same as the free Tesla account.

At least in the S it does. I'm logged in with a premium account and any custom playlists I've created show up in their own section - you just can't create them from the car. The 3 doesn't have a premium account set up for it but I assume it's the same.

I would really like to see Spotify added, they have it in Europe so it shouldn’t even take time to program. Why can’t I just use my own Spotify premium account?
Years ago, Tesla entered into an agreement with Slacker that gave them exclusive rights to Tesla vehicles in North America. We do not know the duration of this agreement nor do we know whether Tesla will add Spotify once the agreement expires. I have decided not to buy another Tesla until the company integrates touchscreen support for Spotify (or Apple Music or Google Music) using my phone’s LTE or the built-in LTE.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarryMcAwkiner
Can confirm Tesla has an exclusivity deal with Slacker Radio.
"We are unlocking the value in the combination of LiveXLive and Slacker Radio and successfully expanding our reachable audience. We are excited by the subscriber growth we are already seeing and expect to continue to accelerate Slacker through strategic expansion. Slacker's exclusive partnership with Tesla in North America is proving to be a valuable customer acquisition channel and a model that we plan to replicate," said Ellin.

Looks like LiveXLive acquired Slacker radio back in '17 and it has been doing well. So it looks like we're going to have to wait until their contract is over...

Source: LiveXLive Fiscal Press Release

Reactions: 9erDog