Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Needs to Up Their Service Game - Dismal Experience with HVAC Failure On My Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me start by saying that the people at the service center were very nice. That being said, the rest of my experience totally sucked.
  • AC broke on 07/02. System would no longer blow hot and cold air.
  • The next available appointment was on 07/14, almost two weeks out.
  • Brought the car in for repair on 07/14 with expectations it would be fixed.
  • After the car being there for the day, I was told that they do not have the parts and thus, I would have to bring it back on 07/28.
  • I‘m driving a new $55k car with a broken AC for nearly a month because Tesla can’t get a part.
  • At no point was I offered any loaner, so I am rolling with no AC during a heatwave.
I’ve never experienced a failure on a new car that wasn’t remedied within 5 days, so this dismal experience is new to me (Even VW provided me better service on my crappy golf, I never had AC issues in that crappy little car either). Driving a car without AC in a heatwave is no bueno!

What I don’t understand is why Tesla didn’t try to ensure all the parts that may potentially be needed to fix an AC issue weren’t onsite for my initial appointment. They’ve got all the data they need from the vehicle sensors and logs to make such decisions.

They have logs to my car (which they allegedly said they’d pull), my appointment request was quite specific as I included clear pictures of the error message (along with date and time).

When Tesla replied back to my service request, they asked if I could provide date and time of the errors (which, again were in the original request), after pointing them to my original message, (and providing additional dates and times when the error kept popping up) Tesla said they’d pull the logs to ensure they could identify the issue as hardware or software. It feels like they never did.

I don’t know why Tesla couldn’t just ensure that parts are on hand when a car comes in for a specific issue. If all the parts that my be needed aren’t there, reschedule the appointment. Personally, I’d rather cancel an appointment and have my car fixed right the first time rather than bring it back.

Going by this scenario, if the part doesn’t get used, it can be used on the next car with the same (or similar issue). I am sure these parts wouldn’t sit for a long time as AC failure seems to be pretty common in the Y.

Tesla needs to update the app as it sucks for reporting issues. They need to provide a more detailed breakdown of vehicle systems the end user can select. so that your issue can be more easily routed. In my case, I’ve had to select “other” for my previous issue. AC / Climate control / HVAC was not an issue for me to select this time either.

Tesla should also be triaging the data for repairs and stocking service centers with parts to cover the top 10 Issues so that customers who’ve already purchased cars are not left withering on the vine like were were when we were waiting for our cars.

My next EV will be one with a solid climate control system and service turnaround that’s not a freaking month. This has been a dreadful experience that has soured my taste for Tesla. Also nothing like showing up to a meeting with physicians drenched In sweat. Tesla‘s Service is WORSE than a dealership from my experience. Way worse.

I was at a Tesla SC waiting for my car yesterday for about 4 hours and let me tell you, the 9 or 10 different customers that waited in there with me were all disgruntled to varying degrees at the whole experience. When you’re too busy doing important things like posting memes on Twitter or riding the endless cycle of the echo chamber on Twitter, I guess there’s no time for petty things like having satisfied customers.

Just like the OP, the whole debacle of a 70k dollar car without functioning AC is laughable, much less a 150k car with panels that don’t line up. I don’t know how long their gravity defying business model of crap service will hold up.

I’m in the same boat. My AC would only blow hot air, took it to service, they kept the car for a month. I did finally get a loaner after consistently being a Karen about their lack of communication. Well, less than two weeks after getting my car back, AC is again blowing hot air only. Now they said certain connections melted, so they need to order parts, which may not come in for 2-3 weeks. No loaner car available. I’m pretty sure the reason certain connections melted is because while they had my car for a month, it was parked 24/7 outside, sometimes in 110 degree heat, with no working cabin overheat protection. I’m pretty much ready to sell the car at this point. Worst part is that people at the service center give zero Fs and pretty much treat you as though you’re lucky they’re even trying to fix your car.