TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla NEMA 14-50 Adapter won't plug into NEMA-14-50R (receptacle)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by JetSetterFL, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JetSetterFL

JetSetterFL New Member

Just got my MS-75 today and brought it home so I can get it charged overnight... I had the NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed by an electrician about a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of today.... Of course, once I get it in my garage and try to connect the UMC to the wall receptacle - except it won't fit! I don't want to force it too much - but am not sure what could be the issue.... It's the right receptacle and the right adapter - but for whatever reason, I can't get it to plug in... Obviously, there's something blocking it - my suspicion is that it's the Ground portion of the receptacle - but not sure. Any ideas on what I can try or what could be wrong? Is it possible that there's something wrong with the receptacle or is there something I am supposed to do - in order to insert the adapter correctly? Any suggestions would be appreciated....

145 miles worth of charge left - more than i need for tomorrow - but now I am getting the so called range-anxiety on my first day... Help!

Thanks

IMG_6565.JPG

2. svp6

svp6 Member

plug in a regular socket (120V) - will give you few miles per hour charge. call your electrician in the morning

3. gregd

gregd Active Member

Give it a firm push, straight in. If they installed the version of the 14-50R that's used for RVs and other frequent-use applications, sometimes the contacts are pretty snug. That's a good thing; it means you're not going to get burned contacts over time.

4. mb300sd

mb300sd Member

Push harder. It takes quite a bit more force than a 120v.

5. JetSetterFL

JetSetterFL New Member

Thanks for those who responded...As it turned out, the receptacle had some pins misaligned - had to get a new receptacle and all is fine now... Who would have thought would have to go to a Supercharger 2nd day of my ownership! But all is well now...All charged up with the new receptacle in place.

Another question for this group - where can I get an additional NEMA 14-50 adaptor for MS? I don't see that in the Tesla store... It would be nice if I could leave that plugged in my garage while have a spare in my car for use elsewhere.... Thanks

6. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Model S/X Mobile Connector Bundle

7. Skysurfer

Skysurfer Member

If you are talking about getting a new UMC so you can keep one in the car, you are likely better off just getting the Wall Charger for the same price and swapping out the 14-50 outlet for the wall charger as it is a little more convenient for a fixed charging location.

If you really just want a replacement 14-50 adapter for your UMC then this is the link you are looking for: Model S/X NEMA Adapters

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. JetSetterFL

JetSetterFL New Member

Got it... That's exactly what I was looking for - the NEMA adapters.... Had not noticed the drop down to see the 14-50... Thanks

9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Not sure that I would get a second 14-50 for the UMC. Your better off unplugging the entire thing. If the plug or receptical get warm, you just replace. If the connection between the app lug and the umc wear out. You need a $500 UMC.

10. eladts

eladts Member

If you just want something to be semi-permanently plugged to the 14-50 so you can leave the UMC in the car, you can get the CMC which is $30 cheaper than the UMC and in stock. It has a lower profile pug so it will put less strain on the socket.

Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector