Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Neo Gateway not working after new router

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP try power cycling

1) disconnect (wait 30 seconds) and reconnect power cable to tesla solar gateway (small black box). A red light on the gateway will indicate no signal.
2) go to your panel and find a 20 amp circuit breaker labeled power blaster. Turn it off, wait 30 seconds and then turn on
3) get back to solar gateway. Within 2-5 mins red light on the Tesla solar gateway indicating no signal should go away
4. wait for 15-30 mins and the tesla app should show flow to and from the grid (data from power blaster). Wait is because data in the TESLA app is not real time. It is delayed by 15+ minutes.

Restarted my system and moved my gateway closer to my inverter. Had neighbor turn off his inverter. Noticed the top left light on my power blaster is blinking red. Restarted power blaster and still getting same thing with this screen on the app. Going to call tesla again to see if they can help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-140609_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-140609_Tesla.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 250
I've got same issue with same gateway. After weeks of unplug, reconnect, etc. they tell me the gateway may be bad and will FEDEX a new one in 6-8 weeks! Although a Tesla fanboy, my experience with solar has been a 1 out of 10. Turnover in LV, no follow-up, emailing me links to videos to troubleshoot by power cycling the gateway, useless! My network sees the device and it has an IP address, but it's not going to Tesla server. I wonder if router is blocking gateway's IP, or port?

I'm dealing with the same "No Signal" issue since January with brand new system. Tesla confirms connection is via my neighbor and all self-help procedures have repeatedly failed. App does depict both production and use, but depicted production is erratic and frequently drops out so that my production totals are greatly understated. I have requested a replacement Neo Gateway and am awaiting a response from Tesla.

I'm dealing with the same "No Signal" issue since January with brand new system. Tesla confirms connection is via my neighbor and all self-help procedures have repeatedly failed. App does depict both production and use, but depicted production is erratic and frequently drops out so that my production totals are greatly understated. I have requested a replacement Neo Gateway and am awaiting a response from Tesla.
If you have a powerwall + white "backup gateway2" then the production data is NOT via the little black neo device (neo is then used for e.g. remote firmware upgrades on the inverter as far as i can tell).
If you have solar only, then tesla/mobile app is getting data from the black box. Sorry about names, The naming of these "gateways" by telsa is highly confusing.

There is very little info about how to give the "little black box" ("NEO gateway") what it really needs to function robustly. There is also little official/public info on what settings the installer had to enter to it (or we need to re-boot-reconnect it). Thats kept tight to the chest by tesla. Maybe I'll start a thread on this device. But in the meantime, If you are a solar only install...

basic plan with neo is: inverter gives data to neo via zigbee (apparently not wifi).
neo talks to tesla over your lan (hardwire).
neo in my experience can take DAYS to actually turn off the "no signal" light
neo's zigbee connection is very poor.
try putting neo right next to the inverter (might need lan wire to there).
reset the inverter and neo by: unplugging neo. dc-diconnect inverter, turn off inverters AC breakers.
wait a few minutes with everything unplugged.
replug neo, turn on ac breakers, turn on dc disconnect. then wait ... maybe days. (ive had it take days before, even after i moved it right next to the inverter)

There could be other issues at play. for example i read some people had had a mixup in device numbers by installers and were being shown data for somebody elses system.

If you have a powerwall + white "backup gateway2" then the production data is NOT via the little black neo device (neo is then used for e.g. remote firmware upgrades on the inverter as far as i can tell).
If you have solar only, then tesla/mobile app is getting data from the black box. Sorry about names, The naming of these "gateways" by telsa is highly confusing.

I have solar only and I have the "black box" Neo Gateway. Tesla has refused to replace the box indicating the box is working and there is no reason to replace - even though it is not connecting to my inverter which they indicate it was designed to do and all is as it should be. After much back and forth, I was able to prove the dropouts in communication (via my neighbor) and the tech finally agreed to elevate the issue and possibly schedule a service call. Waiting for scheduling.

bwb1

Just received the following message from Tesla and the gateway now appears to be working.:)

"The case I had escalated has been reviewed, and our tier 2 team has made some remote modifications to the gateway and inverter to allow a more stable connection. I can see that the inverter and gateway are communicating with each other now, and hopefully for the foreseeable future. This should alleviate any missing data issues going forward. We apologize for the inconvenience, but appreciate your patience while this was being addressed."

bwb1

Just received the following message from Tesla and the gateway now appears to be working.:)

"The case I had escalated has been reviewed, and our tier 2 team has made some remote modifications to the gateway and inverter to allow a more stable connection. I can see that the inverter and gateway are communicating with each other now, and hopefully for the foreseeable future. This should alleviate any missing data issues going forward. We apologize for the inconvenience, but appreciate your patience while this was being addressed."

bwb1
Good Deal:) glad to see "escalation" worked for you :)

the solar gateway is that "wireless zigbee bridge you have hard wired to your intranet system". The installers hand it to you and tell you to go plug it into your router / network. I am not talking about the zigbee connection between the inverter and the solar gateway, I am talking about the hard wired connection the solar gateway (little black box) requires.

I guess I could post a picture as that would likely explain better.
View attachment 626111

View attachment 626110
View attachment 626109

This ethernet connection is the only connection to your home network that this device supports. Note, this has nothing to do with powerwalls. There are two devices called "gateway" by tesla. One is this little "solar gateway", the other is the gateway device that controls the powerwalls and provides power switching etc. These are not the same devices.

Maybe thats where the confusion is coming from.
Great explanation but quick question. Can Tesla test or check that solar gateway on their end when connected? To confirm that it’s communicating/routing properly. In case there is some port or routing issue or default configuration with the changed Router even with Ethernet. Or is the assumption that this is usually a non-issue and it’s the wireless connection to the inverter.

Great explanation but quick question. Can Tesla test or check that solar gateway on their end when connected? To confirm that it’s communicating/routing properly. In case there is some port or routing issue or default configuration with the changed Router even with Ethernet. Or is the assumption that this is usually a non-issue and it’s the wireless connection to the inverter.

AFAIK, they can see if the device is online, and they can see if the inverter is connected and communicating. I dont know if they can see "the inverter is communicating through this specific tesla neo gateway". That might depend on what inverter you have, etc... if they can even see that level of detail.

I just know they can see if the inverter is communicating to them, and they can see if the little neo gateway box is communicating. My little neo gateway still just randomly (for weeks at a time) says "no connection". Every time I power cycle my router, I guess my inverter jumps back on my neighbors little gateway.

Because I have powerwalls (and the powerwall gateway that gets installed with that), it doesnt impact me at all, but it IS annoying that I have a device on my network, that is hard wired, that constantly has a red "no signal" light on it.

AFAIK, they can see if the device is online, and they can see if the inverter is connected and communicating. I dont know if they can see "the inverter is communicating through this specific tesla neo gateway". That might depend on what inverter you have, etc... if they can even see that level of detail.

I just know they can see if the inverter is communicating to them, and they can see if the little neo gateway box is communicating. My little neo gateway still just randomly (for weeks at a time) says "no connection". Every time I power cycle my router, I guess my inverter jumps back on my neighbors little gateway.

Because I have powerwalls (and the powerwall gateway that gets installed with that), it doesnt impact me at all, but it IS annoying that I have a device on my network, that is hard wired, that constantly has a red "no signal" light on it.
Interesting, Tesla was going to move me to that black box device when they were troubleshooting my Neurio (new device) issues but the new Inverters aren’t compatible with the older Neurio hardware on the backend so they didn’t go down that road. I don’t have that solar gateway box in my setup. Lucky because my neighbor has one but it’s not a Tesla solution.

the solar gateway is that "wireless zigbee bridge you have hard wired to your intranet system". The installers hand it to you and tell you to go plug it into your router / network. I am not talking about the zigbee connection between the inverter and the solar gateway, I am talking about the hard wired connection the solar gateway (little black box) requires.

I guess I could post a picture as that would likely explain better.
View attachment 626111

View attachment 626110
View attachment 626109

This ethernet connection is the only connection to your home network that this device supports. Note, this has nothing to do with powerwalls. There are two devices called "gateway" by tesla. One is this little "solar gateway", the other is the gateway device that controls the powerwalls and provides power switching etc. These are not the same devices.

Maybe thats where the confusion is coming from.
Thank you for the pics; do you know what’s the best position to keep this black solar gateway. Does it get a longer range when standing up (like install on the wall) or lying down on the shelf. I don’t have powerwall only solar panels and inverter but in a recent service visit Tesla has given me this new black gateway and it is few walls away from my globaledge inverters so I just want to make sure we get a good reception.

Thank you for the pics; do you know what’s the best position to keep this black solar gateway. Does it get a longer range when standing up (like install on the wall) or lying down on the shelf. I don’t have powerwall only solar panels and inverter but in a recent service visit Tesla has given me this new black gateway and it is few walls away from my globaledge inverters so I just want to make sure we get a good reception.

Hi, Welcome to TMC,

Unfortunately, I dont know that information. The range on these devices doesnt seem to be "great" to me. I have mine standing up, and re configured my home network when I got my powerwalls to put a wired connection in my garage (a wireless access point with ethernet ports in it.. basically a router acting as an access point). I have it the neo gateway thing connected in my garage, 1 wall and approximately 7 or so feet from my inverter.

With that being said, my inverter still sometimes is on my neighbors connection, because they also have a solar city era install from 2015, with a gateway device (they dont have powerwalls) and my inverter sometimes hops on their gateway instead of mine.