Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Neurio Device Accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the new Neurio device pared with solar only so no Powerwall's just to set the stage. I've posted a few times as I've worked through issues with the setup so this isn't about configuration of the setup really. My device after Tesla came out appears fine but I have seen that the home usage runs just a little higher (800w-1kw or so) than normal every couple of days. I bring things back in alignment by hitting the Neurio breaker and I'm back to my 1-1.5kw running rate (basically nothing major running in the home) for the next 24-48 hrs. Anyone else see any strange issues like this on the home/grid usage side?

Don't get me wrong the app is nice and I like reviewing the information but at this point its not consistent and off from my utility that I can check daily. The only use I have for it is to see spikes when certain appliances are on that has been helpful. A little disappointed with the performance but who knows maybe I have a defective unit. I'm really considering looking at some other monitoring device and having the Tesla Neurio removed if I get good data. I know that I'll need to look at two app. Any thoughts, am I expecting too much from this?

I think we’re having the same issue. There are the other threads that I believe you were involved in where I posted up my fix (removing and re-adding the Site Meter info in Tesla Inverter UI) but that was a temporary fix since I’m seeing the issue keep coming up.

After I reset my Neurio device, home usage looks as expected for a few days and then things get all wonky again. I reset my Neurio on the morning of 4/28 and home usage is mimicking solar production as of mid-day yesterday. This was the case from my previous Neurio resets. I attached a screenshot showing 4/28 that shows the home usage graph go down, which is when I reset the Neurio.

Hope this makes sense, but what I’m seeing is that when solar > ACTUAL home usage (so, sending to grid), half of the grid number is going to home usage. See the example picture I just took from the app.

Solar = 5.6 kW
Grid = 2.7 kW
Home = 2.9 kW

So what‘s happening is that the 2.7kW grid number is half of what the actual grid value should be, so should be 5.4. And my actual home usage is the remainder, 0.2kW. I have a Sense monitor to confirm the numbers.

This is annoying since I didn’t intend to keep the Sense monitor but can’t trust that the Tesla app is going to be reliable in the long term. I’m about to contact Tesla support to see if they can get this straightened out.

Attachments

• 21DD7623-9925-469D-82D6-0064AFF0B2E8.jpeg
    21DD7623-9925-469D-82D6-0064AFF0B2E8.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 232
  • 3F8F51C2-D839-4409-B30C-0FE8ED6A2189.jpeg
    3F8F51C2-D839-4409-B30C-0FE8ED6A2189.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 142
Not sure if this is just BS, but Tesla support stated this is a known issue with the Neurio device reporting inaccurate consumption numbers and they’re waiting for a fix from Neurio on the matter so nothing that can be done at this point other than to manually reset it.

I’m going to not reset my Neurio to see what happens in the next week or so.

@MCNE Is your experience similar to my last post?

Not sure if this is just BS, but Tesla support stated this is a known issue with the Neurio device reporting inaccurate consumption numbers and they’re waiting for a fix from Neurio on the matter so nothing that can be done at this point other than to manually reset it.

I’m going to not reset my Neurio to see what happens in the next week or so.

@MCNE Is your experience similar to my last post?
Yeah I have to reset every 24-48 hrs but during that time it works perfectly fine. I opened another case because it’s simply not sustainable to work like this. I did have a good tech that got me this far but I’m not going to keep calling the poor guy. Odds are he’ll be back to help resolve it. I told at Tesla I want another device but nothing on the known issue front. That might be the problem.

Please share if you get any better resolution from Tesla. Thanks
I sure will but my guess is I’m going to need another tool to provide the information they are on the hook to deliver. I certainly hope not but I’m already looking. This is an example of what I’m seeing today below. Should be less than 1kw on the home side and the balance to the grid. A Neurio reboot would fix it but like I said I’m done with that, just going to let it run. This thing is really Jacked up bad!

9ABC6CCD-948C-4385-858C-985952488156.jpeg

If we’re experiencing the exact same thing then, based on your screenshot, you were actually sending double the 3.9kW to grid and subtract 3.9kW from your home usage.

It seems that, somehow, one of the CT’s data gets calculated as home usage when this issue occurs.

What does your energy usage graph look like for solar and home usage?

If we’re experiencing the exact same thing then, based on your screenshot, you were actually sending double the 3.9kW to grid and subtract 3.9kW from your home usage.

It seems that, somehow, one of the CT’s data gets calculated as home usage when this issue occurs.

What does your energy usage graph look like for solar and home usage?
I’m sure you are correct, I just know resetting bring my home usage back to reality and everything works well. I even verified with my meter reading one day. Here is the graph below.

CD2A7FE1-5887-42F8-8E0B-DF3373B69019.jpeg

Yeah we are experiencing the same thing and, yes, we shouldn’t need to manually reset our Neurio device every few days to get this working properly. Even without any other data to share with Tesla, logic should show that it doesn’t make sense that our home usage could mimick the ups and downs of solar production exactly but I’m sure Telsa will push back as much as they can…

Off topic, but what are those very large spikes in the early morning? :)

Yeah we are experiencing the same thing and, yes, we shouldn’t need to manually reset our Neurio device every few days to get this working properly. Even without any other data to share with Tesla, logic should show that it doesn’t make sense that our home usage could mimick the ups and downs of solar production exactly but I’m sure Telsa will push back as much as they can…
The last tech that came out tried to install the old device and was going to give me that little black gateway box but the corporate office told him it wouldn’t work properly with the new inverters and the backend. He gave me his cell and said he’ll replace the box for me if needed in a couple of weeks. This might be beyond him being able to resolve however. So tired of this, they should just pull the product and not offer the solution.

Ok so Tesla replied via email and stated that they see no issues. I might need to call them but I have to say its like rolling dice on who you get. I literally wanted to hang-up on the lady I had one time, absolutely TERRIBLE. I have a feeling this isn't going to end with a resolution and I'll need to go another route for this monitoring. Oh well!

If you’re seeing inflated numbers even without solar production, then our case is slightly different.

From what I can gather from comparing my Tesla vs Sense data, the home usage numbers being reported seems accurate and match in both apps in the following scenario.
  • When there is NO solar production
  • When actual home usage > solar production
Actually, in both scenarios above, actual home usage is more than solar production.

I know the home usage number is derived from a calculation using the solar production and Site Meter data so somethings being miscalculated somewhere.

Sad that Tesla is stating that nothing is wrong since actual usage can’t possibly follow solar production, as we’re seeing.

If you’re seeing inflated numbers even without solar production, then our case is slightly different.

From what I can gather from comparing my Tesla vs Sense data, the home usage numbers being reported seems accurate and match in both apps in the following scenario.
  • When there is NO solar production
  • When actual home usage > solar production
Actually, in both scenarios above, actual home usage is more than solar production.

I know the home usage number is derived from a calculation using the solar production and Site Meter data so somethings being miscalculated somewhere.

Sad that Tesla is stating that nothing is wrong since actual usage can’t possibly follow solar production, as we’re seeing.
yeah I pretty sure they are elevated at night when there is no solar just not as much. Honestly I'm about to throw in the towel and move to something that works. If they fix it great, if not I'll have another solution in place. I did mess with the Neurio today so doing a two day test.

So I moved the CTs at the Neurio from ports 1 and 2 to 3 and 4 cross phased and it’s been working for 24 hrs now. Trying to help make my case to Tesla. Not sure why it’s working in this configuration but I’ve never made it past 36hrs or so.

658BB064-EBEF-46C0-9667-889D2C6CB381.jpeg

Good to hear that it seems to be working for you now.

After seeing your last post, I went in and adjusted my CT’s earlier today also without resetting the Neurio and somehow got the Tesla app to display seemingly accurate home usage numbers and now, a few hours later, the Tesla app is not showing home usage at all…ugh…. I only have the single Solar circle and home usage isn’t showing even for previous days. I even logged out and back in.

I guess I’ll be hanging onto my Sense monitor…