Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Neurio Device Accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me know if you all see a difference since the consumption data came back. I was running in to a similar issue after my system install. When I had the CTs installed in 1 & 2 on the Neurio I was only getting data (so half the consumption I was actually using) from CT1. I figured out that if I hooked up one CT to slot 1 and one CT to slot 4 they essentially cancelled each other out and I was seeing zero consumption. So... I flipped CT 4 to be backwards and my consumption has been correct ever since. I verified the data seemed correct by setting my Model 3 to charge at 5W and then started it while watching the consumption. Sure enough it went up by exactly 5W.

Welp…my Tesla app is back to showing incorrect home usage data today so I have no confidence that it’ll display accurate data in there. I’ll be relying on my Sense monitor.
Crap! I think I’m there with you. Going to reboot the device in a few. How do you like the sense? Does it provide you Solar data as well or just the home and grid usage?

The monitor is really nice. I specifically have the Square D Wiser model, which is a rebranded Sense monitor that even uses the Sense app. This is currently $120 less at Home Depot than the Sense model for the ones that include the solar CT. Everything seems the same except the colors in the app are different compared to the actual Sense monitor.

Attached are some of the screens that I‘m typically looking at. The data is pretty much realtime and most of the numbers update at around 2 times per second.

I just made the change that @M3Solar did and the Tesla app seems to be fine but not liking that we need to find our own workarounds like this, but I’m not going to rely on the Telsa app going forward.

Attachments

• 947801C2-D03E-4B80-8D7E-57324A39BD4D.jpeg
    947801C2-D03E-4B80-8D7E-57324A39BD4D.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 3A487CC8-40DB-4713-83CB-6CADF5E8DBDB.jpeg
    3A487CC8-40DB-4713-83CB-6CADF5E8DBDB.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 2DF52AB6-D918-4F4E-9A9F-73F916F7C737.jpeg
    2DF52AB6-D918-4F4E-9A9F-73F916F7C737.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Informative
Reactions: MCNE
The monitor is really nice. I specifically have the Square D Wiser model, which is a rebranded Sense monitor that even uses the Sense app. This is currently $120 less at Home Depot than the Sense model for the ones that include the solar CT. Everything seems the same except the colors in the app are different compared to the actual Sense monitor.

Attached are some of the screens that I‘m typically looking at. The data is pretty much realtime and most of the numbers update at around 2 times per second.

I just made the change that @M3Solar did and the Tesla app seems to be fine but not liking that we need to find our own workarounds like this, but I’m not going to rely on the Telsa app going forward.
I'll take a look at that model as well as the Generac model. I have a complex setup with hardware all over my wall outside. Having 4 CT's would be a pain because they will need to be located in two different locations I'm thinking. Still I would want Solar, Grid and Home in one app and will just use the Tesla app for reporting issue.

Generac_AC_SL1500_.jpg

I just ordered the Square D Wiser Solar version from Lowes @ $220.01 out the door. I'll give it a try since it was still on sale until the 9th. Appreciate the guidance with this one.

Reactions: DesertSilver
I'll take a look at that model as well as the Generac model. I have a complex setup with hardware all over my wall outside. Having 4 CT's would be a pain because they will need to be located in two different locations I'm thinking. Still I would want Solar, Grid and Home in one app and will just use the Tesla app for reporting issue.

Keep in mind you’ll have 6 total CT’s, not 4 (unless you remove the Tesla ones). :) The standalone energy monitors have CT’s for both the mains and solar lines. I just placed Tesla and Sense CT’s touching each other for the mains.

Keep in mind you’ll have 6 total CT’s, not 4 (unless you remove the Tesla ones). :) The standalone energy monitors have CT’s for both the mains and solar lines. I just placed Tesla and Sense CT’s touching each other for the mains.
Right, they wont all be in the same location. two different boxes or panels and my main panel has no CTs in it now. I'm going to leave the Tesla solution in place as is but will tap the breaker they installed for the new monitoring device if I can. Four will be in the box below and the others I'll need to route to the Solar area somehow. I guess its possible all 6 could work in there so I'll certainly try that first. These are the inputs that also lead to the solar meter.

Junction Box.jpg

Reactions: DesertSilver
Let me know if you all see a difference since the consumption data came back. I was running in to a similar issue after my system install. When I had the CTs installed in 1 & 2 on the Neurio I was only getting data (so half the consumption I was actually using) from CT1. I figured out that if I hooked up one CT to slot 1 and one CT to slot 4 they essentially cancelled each other out and I was seeing zero consumption. So... I flipped CT 4 to be backwards and my consumption has been correct ever since. I verified the data seemed correct by setting my Model 3 to charge at 5W and then started it while watching the consumption. Sure enough it went up by exactly 5W.

So this is interesting. I moved my CTs around again until I can get my new monitoring device delivered and went to 1 and 4. It's been almost two days not with it working perfectly. In a few hours it will be the longest its ever worked without a reboot. My CTs (both) are facing the wrong direction but that was a change Tesla did a few weeks back to initially get it working. More to come...

Yeah, I set mine to 1 & 4 also with the CT’s facing opposite directions and has been working fine since Fri. To my understanding, CT’s 1 & 4 are for the black mains so seems to be some issue with how the Neurio is sending the red mains data (CT 2 & 3) or how it’s interpreted on the Tesla side.

You’ll see that the Sense app shows the exact realtime wattage for all 4 individual CT’s so would be nice to be able to log into the Tesla inverter at anytime to be able to compare Site Meter numbers in there.

Yeah, I set mine to 1 & 4 also with the CT’s facing opposite directions and has been working fine since Fri. To my understanding, CT’s 1 & 4 are for the black mains so seems to be some issue with how the Neurio is sending the red mains data (CT 2 & 3) or how it’s interpreted on the Tesla side.

You’ll see that the Sense app shows the exact realtime wattage for all 4 individual CT’s so would be nice to be able to log into the Tesla inverter at anytime to be able to compare Site Meter numbers in there.
I was wrong. I had 2 and 4 with it not being successful either. There was no combination of 1 and 4 that produced accurate information for me. Now I'm trying 1 and 3 so lets see how that goes. I know that if it makes it past 36hrs chances are good it will work.

The suggestion that m3solar made that is working for me is to have the CTs in 1 & 4 and have one of them facing the “wrong” way. So instead of both of the CTs facing the same direction, just flip one of them.
I might play with the CTs reversed again tomorrow. The good thing is I can tell immediately if the data looks correct which helps. Mine are already facing the wrong way so I might have a defective device. Glad yours is working and I hope it lasts.

I don't know how accurate this it is, but my one thing I noticed is when I'm producing around 5kw or more, the tesla inverter fan is running non stop and my consumption goes from 1kw to around 2.5kw. I hope this tesla inverter is not using 1.5kw to run as that takes away from what is being produced.

I don't know how accurate this it is, but my one thing I noticed is when I'm producing around 5kw or more, the tesla inverter fan is running non stop and my consumption goes from 1kw to around 2.5kw. I hope this tesla inverter is not using 1.5kw to run as that takes away from what is being produced.
What does your graph look like within the Tesla app, showing solar and home usage?