Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Neurio Device Accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if i reset my breaker for the neurio then the usage goes down. Is there any fix for this? sorry didnt read the whole thread.
Based on your graph, you’re seeing the same thing that @MCNE and I are seeing with the home usage proportionally following the solar production graph. And yes, resetting the Neurio works but so far has been temporary for us.

See my post #35 above for what has worked for me so far, although I’m not going to rely on the data within the Tesla app long term.

can you clarify what this means "The suggestion that m3solar made that is working for me is to have the CTs in 1 & 4 and have one of them facing the “wrong” way. So instead of both of the CTs facing the same direction, just flip one of them."

Is this changing how the wires are connected to the neurio device? it has AC, antenna, CT1, CT2, CT3. Where is CT4? also how do you plug it in backwards?

Firstly, I’ll say that you should not mess with anything in your breaker box if you’re not comfortable. Should go without saying that there is some seriously high power in there.

That being said, there should 4 ports on the Neurio for the CT cables to plug into. Not sure why you’re not seeing CT4 but all 4 CT inputs should all be in line together.

The other end of the CTs, that goes around the power wires are directional and should normally both face the same direction (I believe the label goes towards where the power is coming from). With the troubleshooting that m3solar did, I plugged my CTs into CT1 & CT4 and then flipped one of the other ends to face the opposite direction. Can’t recall if it was the one leading into CT1 or 4, though.

if i reset my breaker for the neurio then the usage goes down. Is there any fix for this? sorry didnt read the whole thread.
Yeah same problem we are having. Would be worth looking over everyone's reply because there is some good info here. I'm going out to do another test now but my new monitoring hardware just arrive (not Tesla).

for my understanding, what is the difference between CT1, CT2, CT3, CT4? I will try the fix suggested and see if it works. Hopefully it's working for others
Those 4 ports are supposed to work in pairs, CT 1/2 & CT 3/4, if you have a need to monitor 4 total lines.

For whatever reason, things weren’t being calculated right after a few days with them in either 1/2 or 3/4 so we’re at this workaround.

The monitor is really nice. I specifically have the Square D Wiser model, which is a rebranded Sense monitor that even uses the Sense app. This is currently $120 less at Home Depot than the Sense model for the ones that include the solar CT. Everything seems the same except the colors in the app are different compared to the actual Sense monitor.

Attached are some of the screens that I‘m typically looking at. The data is pretty much realtime and most of the numbers update at around 2 times per second.

I just made the change that @M3Solar did and the Tesla app seems to be fine but not liking that we need to find our own workarounds like this, but I’m not going to rely on the Telsa app going forward.
Just completed the installation of the Wiser Energy Solar Edition. Interesting that it show grid to solar (inverters) when the sun goes down. Need to configure the app I'm sure but this shows everything the Tesla Neurio does. As long as its reliable I can move past this monitoring. Left the Tesla device installed as well.

Sense.jpg

Yeah for me it’s shown with solar as far down as -20’s but typically around -5w. That’s such a low draw that I don’t see a concern with the data. I figure it’s just the inverter using power since it’s always operational.
Right, I have two inverters so I shut them off and sure enough the reading went down to Zero. Very small amount of power but you cant see this with the Tesla app. Might be absorbed by the in the total home consumption.

so it the solution of using CT1 and CT4 still working for all of you?
I just found a configuration that works with Port 1 and 4 along with reversing one of the CTs (will know is 2 days). Here is the issue, this is simply not correctly installed and who knows how long this will last. I'm going to rely on the new solution I just installed and if Tesla fixes this then great, but I wouldn't reply on it for anything from the Neurio device.

ok i will give it a try as well. So I connect the cables to CT1 and CT4, does it matter which one goes where? Then inside the electrical panel I need to rotate the CT? If you have any pictures of what it looks like that would be helpful. Does it matter which one I rotate? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do it correctly.

ok i will give it a try as well. So I connect the cables to CT1 and CT4, does it matter which one goes where? Then inside the electrical panel I need to rotate the CT? If you have any pictures of what it looks like that would be helpful. Does it matter which one I rotate? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do it correctly.
Yep it matters on both that's why I needed to play around with the configuration while looking at the data in the app. If you step through it methodically you should be fine. I would start with 1 and 4 then reverse one of the CTs. If the data looks off then move the reversed CT back and reverse the other one. If its still off swap the connectors (1 and 4) on the Neurio. Then start the CT reversal again until you have an accurate flow. I can send you a picture of mine in a few if no one else has one already posted.

Let me know if you all see a difference since the consumption data came back. I was running in to a similar issue after my system install. When I had the CTs installed in 1 & 2 on the Neurio I was only getting data (so half the consumption I was actually using) from CT1. I figured out that if I hooked up one CT to slot 1 and one CT to slot 4 they essentially cancelled each other out and I was seeing zero consumption. So... I flipped CT 4 to be backwards and my consumption has been correct ever since. I verified the data seemed correct by setting my Model 3 to charge at 5W and then started it while watching the consumption. Sure enough it went up by exactly 5W.
I can confirm the above fixed my issue also.

My Neurio is talking to the Tesla 3.8 inverter, and I also have a Tesla 7.6 inverter. Since I don't have PTO, I only turned on the 3.8 inverter. The readings were correct with only the 3.8 inverter on. Once I turned on the 7.6 inverter, the data was wrong. My consumption were terribly wrong. It was way off. I performed the above, and my readings are correct and matches up with the utility meter.

I then turned off my 7.6 inverter, keeping the 3.8 inverter on, to stay under the radar. The readings are correct still. It still matches up with the utility meter.

Thank you M3Solar!

Reactions: M3Solar
I have this issue as well. Called tesla but they had no clue. Will try the fix. Do you turn off any breakers when rotating the CTs
Did you get it going? Mine has worked now for over 24 hrs so I’m thinking if it sticks maybe better instructions with pics. Everyone setup could be a little different however.

Good thing m3solar figure this out if it works for everyone. I have a feeling more are going to need a solution with these new Neurio installs.