Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Neurio Device Accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t see how that would work since it’s a peer to peer connection between the Neurio and the Inverter. You might have some interference with other things in your home or possibly neighbors.
I was thinking the wifi extender could broadcast either the tesla wifi or the neurio wifi signal, not sure if that will work. Another option might be to run a long extension cable but the antenna to get it inside the garage where the inverter is located. The garage door has insulation and maybe that is blocking the signal

I was thinking the wifi extender could broadcast either the tesla wifi or the neurio wifi signal, not sure if that will work. Another option might be to run a long extension cable but the antenna to get it inside the garage where the inverter is located. The garage door has insulation and maybe that is blocking the signal
Problem with that is the WiFi extender would need to be on the same network as the Neurio or the Inverters proprietary WiFi and I’m not sure that’s possible or at least I’ve never seen it done. Extending the antenna should work. Maybe there an extension you can purchase.

I would reboot the Neurio and check if you can see the WiFi with a mobile device inside the garage.

I bought a tp link range extender and extended the range of the neurio and now it seems to work well. I originally tried extending the inverter wifi range but that didn’t work. When I setup the tp link it shows all the wifi signals in range including the neurio and inverter

I bought a tp link range extender and extended the range of the neurio and now it seems to work well. I originally tried extending the inverter wifi range but that didn’t work. When I setup the tp link it shows all the wifi signals in range including the neurio and inverter

I am trying to use a TP-Link extender to connect a neurio that is in a remote subpanel but I am not having much luck. Did you only have to extend the "Neurio-XXXXX" SSID? I've tried that but it still fails during commissioning (note - this meter has never worked and the installer plans to come back next week but it didnt sound like he knew how to fix it). I wish I could figure out how to login into the Neurio device directly as I think I could figure out how to make it connect via my home Wi-Fi.

I am trying to use a TP-Link extender to connect a neurio that is in a remote subpanel but I am not having much luck. Did you only have to extend the "Neurio-XXXXX" SSID? I've tried that but it still fails during commissioning (note - this meter has never worked and the installer plans to come back next week but it didnt sound like he knew how to fix it). I wish I could figure out how to login into the Neurio device directly as I think I could figure out how to make it connect via my home Wi-Fi.
Mine has SSID starting with pwr. Are you able to see the neurio wifi SSID on your phone when you are next to the tesla inverter?

So I am having a similar issue as the OP, I have Tesla solar, Tesla inverter, Neurio, no PW. The usage is not properly showing up. From my understanding the usage is a calculated amount based on solar production and amount to grid. Same issue, it's only showing 1/2 the amount to grid and the rest is shown as consumption. I'm not able to try the workaround of connecting to CT1 and 4 and flipping one of the CTs because I have 4 main lines so all 4 CTs are being used. Is there a workaround for this? Can I just flip one or two of the CTs to make it work? Anyone have any luck with 4 main lines?

I called Tesla support about this and they are having another tech come to install a new Neurio because they think the one I have may be defective. Probably not the case but I will let them come install it anyway just in case and see what happens. If anyone knows of a workaround for 4 main lines, please let me know so that I can tell the installer to try it. I don't really want to touch those main lines.

So I am having a similar issue as the OP, I have Tesla solar, Tesla inverter, Neurio, no PW. The usage is not properly showing up. From my understanding the usage is a calculated amount based on solar production and amount to grid. Same issue, it's only showing 1/2 the amount to grid and the rest is shown as consumption. I'm not able to try the workaround of connecting to CT1 and 4 and flipping one of the CTs because I have 4 main lines so all 4 CTs are being used. Is there a workaround for this? Can I just flip one or two of the CTs to make it work? Anyone have any luck with 4 main lines?

I called Tesla support about this and they are having another tech come to install a new Neurio because they think the one I have may be defective. Probably not the case but I will let them come install it anyway just in case and see what happens. If anyone knows of a workaround for 4 main lines, please let me know so that I can tell the installer to try it. I don't really want to touch those main lines.
Yeah let them come out and do their thing but odds are you are correct and it won’t make a difference unless it’s installed wrong like mine was. After that you can try moving the CTs around in different configs. Do you have pictures of the current setup?

I finally was able to get monitoring to show up in the app two weeks after PTO and calling every day, having reps tell me they needed to manually register the inverter and to wait 24hrs only to not have it report, to having reps tell me the inverter wasn't connected and communicating even though other reps said it was fine and I could see the inverter making requests to Tesla servers from my router logs, to having reps elevate to tier 2 support saying the registration somehow wasn't "sticking" and that they would follow up in a couple of days and never did.

Eventually, I got a rep that actually took the time to read something and got the app to report right over the phone, no need to wait 24hrs or restart the inverter. It even had all my old data going back two weeks. Nice. However, I noticed that it seemed like the app was reporting data exported to the grid as being consumed by my house, making my house consumption look like solar production + grid export, a huge amount. I mentioned how it seemed like the data would be correct if the consumption from the grid was just inverted and the rep seemed to understand and agree and submitted a tier 2 ticket to hopefully insert that "negative" sign somehow, and I should hear back from them in 24-48hrs. Approaching 48hrs and still waiting to hear back though...

I've read elsewhere of someone else having a similar issue and Tesla being able to resolve it on the back end. I supposed I could go muck around with the CTs and flip one so the sign changes, but then all my old data would still be wrong, so I'm hoping Tesla can fix it on their end, and I'm not to comfortable messing around since I have solid exposed bars coming in (not insulated wires) and there's a plastic shield around them where the CTs are now buried inside. The Neurio has CT 1 and 2 connected. Not sure if I would have to change to 1 and 4 like you guys are doing.

Another thing that was interesting is that at night when solar production is zero, because now grid consumption is looking like export due to the inversion, in order for the app to "balance" things, it seems like it assumes it all comes from solar, and my home consumption is zero, so I'm magically producing 5kW of solar in the middle of the night when I'm running my dryer. It seems like there's some extra logic baked into the logging to make sure things "balance" even though they can directly measure the solar production. Their calculation must look something like home consumption = solar production + net grid consumption (negative if exporting), but if this equation becomes negative, and solar production is 0, then make solar production the negative of net grid consumption. Boggles the mind why they would do this since the solar production number is a golden known number and presumably can't be wrong.

Despite that, I also noticed my data doesn't seem to be "real-time" but delayed by about 30min. Does anyone else have the same issue? I have a Tesla inverter with Neurio. When I log into the Tesla inverter and look at the site meter values there, they match what I see on my smart meter in near real-time. In the app though, I can turn on my dryer, but the power flow won't show the 5kW until about ~30min later, and the graph history matches and shows that ~30min delay. I can pull to refresh the graph and it will show the last recorded data point within the last 5min (so if it's say 1:32pm right now, the graph updates and shows the last datapoint at 1:30pm), but it matches the power flow screen, and everything has that ~30min delay. If I turned on my dryer at 1:25pm, I won't see it reflected in the app until about 1:55pm.

I finally was able to get monitoring to show up in the app two weeks after PTO and calling every day, having reps tell me they needed to manually register the inverter and to wait 24hrs only to not have it report, to having reps tell me the inverter wasn't connected and communicating even though other reps said it was fine and I could see the inverter making requests to Tesla servers from my router logs, to having reps elevate to tier 2 support saying the registration somehow wasn't "sticking" and that they would follow up in a couple of days and never did.

Eventually, I got a rep that actually took the time to read something and got the app to report right over the phone, no need to wait 24hrs or restart the inverter. It even had all my old data going back two weeks. Nice. However, I noticed that it seemed like the app was reporting data exported to the grid as being consumed by my house, making my house consumption look like solar production + grid export, a huge amount. I mentioned how it seemed like the data would be correct if the consumption from the grid was just inverted and the rep seemed to understand and agree and submitted a tier 2 ticket to hopefully insert that "negative" sign somehow, and I should hear back from them in 24-48hrs. Approaching 48hrs and still waiting to hear back though...

I've read elsewhere of someone else having a similar issue and Tesla being able to resolve it on the back end. I supposed I could go muck around with the CTs and flip one so the sign changes, but then all my old data would still be wrong, so I'm hoping Tesla can fix it on their end, and I'm not to comfortable messing around since I have solid exposed bars coming in (not insulated wires) and there's a plastic shield around them where the CTs are now buried inside. The Neurio has CT 1 and 2 connected. Not sure if I would have to change to 1 and 4 like you guys are doing.

Another thing that was interesting is that at night when solar production is zero, because now grid consumption is looking like export due to the inversion, in order for the app to "balance" things, it seems like it assumes it all comes from solar, and my home consumption is zero, so I'm magically producing 5kW of solar in the middle of the night when I'm running my dryer. It seems like there's some extra logic baked into the logging to make sure things "balance" even though they can directly measure the solar production. Their calculation must look something like home consumption = solar production + net grid consumption (negative if exporting), but if this equation becomes negative, and solar production is 0, then make solar production the negative of net grid consumption. Boggles the mind why they would do this since the solar production number is a golden known number and presumably can't be wrong.

Despite that, I also noticed my data doesn't seem to be "real-time" but delayed by about 30min. Does anyone else have the same issue? I have a Tesla inverter with Neurio. When I log into the Tesla inverter and look at the site meter values there, they match what I see on my smart meter in near real-time. In the app though, I can turn on my dryer, but the power flow won't show the 5kW until about ~30min later, and the graph history matches and shows that ~30min delay. I can pull to refresh the graph and it will show the last recorded data point within the last 5min (so if it's say 1:32pm right now, the graph updates and shows the last datapoint at 1:30pm), but it matches the power flow screen, and everything has that ~30min delay. If I turned on my dryer at 1:25pm, I won't see it reflected in the app until about 1:55pm.
Wow, so there is a lot here 🙂. It does sound like there is a possible CT config issue and I would not hold my breath waiting or asking Tesla to fix data, that wont happen. You might need to have an electrician change the CT's around for you or have Tesla come out but that could take weeks. Plus they aren't going to be very receptive to the way we've gotten this thing to work on this thread. Something with the Neurio config on the backend with engineering is off or the hardware has an issue but in any case its working now for me. I would start there and see how many of these other issues clear up for you.

Also you should be able to see real time data from Tesla's app. The reporting update has a slight delay but that to be expected in my opinion.

Wow, so there is a lot here 🙂. It does sound like there is a possible CT config issue and I would not hold my breath waiting or asking Tesla to fix data, that wont happen. You might need to have an electrician change the CT's around for you or have Tesla come out but that could take weeks. Plus they aren't going to be very receptive to the way we've gotten this thing to work on this thread. Something with the Neurio config on the backend with engineering is off or the hardware has an issue but in any case its working now for me. I would start there and see how many of these other issues clear up for you.

Also you should be able to see real time data from Tesla's app. The reporting update has a slight delay but that to be expected in my opinion.
Thanks for the reply.. yeah, sorry, my posts tend to go a bit long... I have a lot on my mind and am new to all of Tesla solar stuff.

It occurred to me that I feel like my Neurio CT install seems like it should be correct in that when I log into the inverter and look at the site meter reading during the daytime which should be coming from the Neurio, I see it match exactly what my utility smart meter reports, typically around -2.9kW at solar noon, house consumption I know is about 0.3kW baseline, and solar production is around 3.2kW peak. I can't explain why you guys have weird issues like seeing wrong numbers like the grid export number being half of what it should be (does the site meter reading inside the inverter also show half?), or why it seems to be correct after a reset but then starts reading incorrectly after a few days.

I feel like Tesla somehow flubbed the calculation on the backend (but somehow just for my setup??). The calculation seems trivial:

home consumption (the unknown quantity) = solar production (measured by the inverter) + net grid consumption (measured by the Neurio)

but it seems like they have for me instead:

home consumption = solar production - net grid consumption

At night when solar production becomes 0 and net grid consumption becomes a positive number, the wrong equation makes my home consumption go negative, my home is now producing electricity and sending it all back to the grid! Obviously this can't be right, so Tesla somehow decides that even though they measure 0 solar production and it's the middle of the night, the difference must be coming from the solar instead.

Thanks for the reply.. yeah, sorry, my posts tend to go a bit long... I have a lot on my mind and am new to all of Tesla solar stuff.

It occurred to me that I feel like my Neurio CT install seems like it should be correct in that when I log into the inverter and look at the site meter reading during the daytime which should be coming from the Neurio, I see it match exactly what my utility smart meter reports, typically around -2.9kW at solar noon, house consumption I know is about 0.3kW baseline, and solar production is around 3.2kW peak. I can't explain why you guys have weird issues like seeing wrong numbers like the grid export number being half of what it should be (does the site meter reading inside the inverter also show half?), or why it seems to be correct after a reset but then starts reading incorrectly after a few days.

I feel like Tesla somehow flubbed the calculation on the backend (but somehow just for my setup??). The calculation seems trivial:

home consumption (the unknown quantity) = solar production (measured by the inverter) + net grid consumption (measured by the Neurio)

but it seems like they have for me instead:

home consumption = solar production - net grid consumption

At night when solar production becomes 0 and net grid consumption becomes a positive number, the wrong equation makes my home consumption go negative, my home is now producing electricity and sending it all back to the grid! Obviously this can't be right, so Tesla somehow decides that even though they measure 0 solar production and it's the middle of the night, the difference must be coming from the solar instead.
No worries, but what you are describing are issues I’ve seen at my house and I’ll tell you Tesla was stumped on how to get it fixed after the CTs were in the correct place (still configured wrong). Once I got past the solution is broken I was able to accept and test the strange config needed to get it working.

I was lucky enough to have a direct line to the tech that tried to get it working. He was so frustrated that he wanted to install the old Neurio device at our house that required the little black gateway box, thankfully he realized with engineering on the phone that it wouldn’t work.

The inverter real-time data and the revenue meter are independent from the Neurio. My meter and Inverter always worked and aligned from the start so I believe the the Neurio just feeds data to Tesla for the reporting.

Do you have screen shots of what you are seeing and your Neurio install?

Last edited:
No worries, but what you are describing are issues I’ve seen at my house and I’ll tell you Tesla was stumped on how to get it fixed after the CTs were in the correct place (still configured wrong). Once I got past the solution is broken I was able to accept and test the strange config needed to get it working.

I was lucky enough to have a direct line to the tech that tried to get it working. He was so frustrated that he wanted to install the old Neurio device at our house that required the little black gateway box, thankfully he realized with engineering on the phone that it wouldn’t work.

The inverter real-time data and the revenue meter are independent from the Neurio. My meter and Inverter always worked and aligned from the start so I believe the the Neurio just feeds data to Tesla for the reporting.

Do you have screen shots of what you are seeing and your Neurio install?

Here are some screenshots from the app. My home consumption baseline is min around 0.3kW and my utility meter was showing -2.97kW at the time of the power flow graph (things were relatively stable so the 30min lag doesn't factor in here). You can clearly see the grid value missing a negative sign and at night, Tesla seems to decide that my house can't be generating any energy and that even though the solar isn't generating, it must be coming from there. I'll have to find some time to go open up the panel to show the Neurio install, but the clamps are behind this plastic shield and hard to see.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression the "site meter" section of the inverter admin page with a good signal and connected status was actually referring to it being connected to the Neurio itself. I don't remember where I saw it, but someone posted some (secret?) installer instructions on how to pair/configure the Neurio's serial and wifi network info into the inverter, and that configuration was related to the "site meter" section. I think basically the Neurio senses the net of what's going to/from the grid, same as your utility meter, and then sends it to the inverter. The inverter knows the solar production number and all of that gets collected by the inverter and gets sent up to Tesla through in the inverter's connection to your home wifi. There was another post of a system network block diagram that showed as such. Tesla's backend (or maybe the app itself) then takes that data and does the math to figure out your actual home consumption.

Tesla did actually end up contacting me (unfortunately I missed the call) saying they're going to send out a tech to check all the wiring and that scheduling should be reaching out soon... Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in direct contact with the tier 2 tech working on my case when I called back. The frontline rep that answered just read some notes that seemed to indicate they think my production numbers don't make sense since I reported the app was saying I am producing at night and they want to come out and inspect the wiring. I don't think they understand the fix should in theory be simple just to invert the grid number.

If they want to send out a tech, maybe I'll ask them about why my south facing and west facing strings were shorted together at the roof and connected in parallel when the inverter has 2 independent MPPT channels, and how it seems like my Vmp voltage is almost exactly one panel short, almost as if one panel in one (or maybe both, can't tell because they put them in parallel) string is dead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210712-133813_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210712-133813_Tesla.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20210712-141046_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210712-141046_Tesla.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 78
It’s good Tesla is coming back out to take a look. You are correct with the site meter being the connection to the Neurio device. I’ve moved it (configured) between my two inverters thinking is would resolve my issue but it did not. This grid information in the inverter will happen without a Neurio even being connected A/C section from what I remember. I actrually told Tesla if they couldn’t fix it that I’d like it removed. At least the app worked fine before they installed the monitoring tool.

In any case it looks like you are on the right path. Not being able to get to the CTs is a bummer but let’s see if Tesla can fix it.

It’s good Tesla is coming back out to take a look. You are correct with the site meter being the connection to the Neurio device. I’ve moved it (configured) between my two inverters thinking is would resolve my issue but it did not. This grid information in the inverter will happen without a Neurio even being connected A/C section from what I remember. I actrually told Tesla if they couldn’t fix it that I’d like it removed. At least the app worked fine before they installed the monitoring tool.

In any case it looks like you are on the right path. Not being able to get to the CTs is a bummer but let’s see if Tesla can fix it.
After about a week of no one from Tesla contacting me to schedule, I called them back and got transferred to the "installation" scheduling dept since I'm still technically within 30 days of receiving PTO (apparently, if you are post 30-days PTO, it's a different group handling the requests). Earliest they can send someone out to take a look is August 13th, or about 7 weeks after I got PTO. Never got a confirmation email though like I did with my other scheduling requests during the installation phase, so I'll prob need to call them back again on Monday to confirm. Not having proper monitoring kinda sucks, I have no idea if the system is producing correctly or if there are other issues lurking.

That sounds about right with the scheduling from what I experienced but they might call and move up the timeline as they did with me. Honestly, even when the Tesla tool is working the reporting has gaps. That's one of the reasons I added the Sense monitoring recommendation from this thread. It aligns perfectly with Tesla (Solar only), My utility company, PV meter and Revenue meter. Not to mention billing cycle alignment.

Sense 1.jpg