Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Never Registered My Car (California)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So thanks to this forum, I had a member reach out to me to help follow up. I got an text shortly afterwards too confirming the same thing. According to them DMV paperwork was filed a couple weeks ago. So I guess it's a matter of waiting for DMV at this point. So if the timeline is similar to my other recent purchase, I should get something next week...hopefully.

Unfortunately no.

I think you've given the DMV enough time to at least get your car in the system to generate plates and registration. Maybe call them and see if your car at least shows up in the system now? If not, I'd really get the legal system rolling on this. At the very least, get in touch with a well known media outlet and give them a quick synopsis of your story. As a previous poster mentioned, Elon HATES bad press.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the press route would be the way to go. If the coverage showed how impossible it is to solve fairly simple issues like this, and how impossible it is to get in touch with anyone at Tesla, things might change. Hell, Elon himself might deliver your plates to you.

You've been more than patient and polite. It's time to grow fangs and get this resolved.

I think you've given the DMV enough time to at least get your car in the system to generate plates and registration. Maybe call them and see if your car at least shows up in the system now? If not, I'd really get the legal system rolling on this. At the very least, get in touch with a well known media outlet and give them a quick synopsis of your story. As a previous poster mentioned, Elon HATES bad press.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the press route would be the way to go. If the coverage showed how impossible it is to solve fairly simple issues like this, and how impossible it is to get in touch with anyone at Tesla, things might change. Hell, Elon himself might deliver your plates to you.

You've been more than patient and polite. It's time to grow fangs and get this resolved.

I agree, I've been searching up an automotive attorney this weekend. I went to DMV last Wednesday and they had nothing on my car. It's gotten to the point where I absolutely need my plates now, so it's a no longer a question of I can wait, or it's not a big deal.

Reactions: cwerdna
I'm very similar, 12/31 delivery, got title 2/1, got plates and registration 2/11.
Not really related, but I bought a Highlander back in November last year, and got my plates in December. So DMV can be slow, but I'm really skeptical the Tesla's DMV team filed the necessary paperwork, like I said in the last comment. Went to DMV last Wednesday, and they have nothing on the car except that it's not registered to me.

Not really related, but I bought a Highlander back in November last year, and got my plates in December. So DMV can be slow, but I'm really skeptical the Tesla's DMV team filed the necessary paperwork, like I said in the last comment. Went to DMV last Wednesday, and they have nothing on the car except that it's not registered to me.
Did you or your lender not get the title however? If the title is processed that means Tesla submitted the paperwork. I wish the DMV had a way to track the status of new registrations.

I traded in my vehicle about 11 months ago and recently got the registration renewal for the trade-in. Called tesla about how the dmv haven't received the release of liability for the trade-in. CS response "sorry, things like that has happened before, disregard the renewal. When was the trade-in?" Almost a year ago.... "Uh... yeah I've heard of instances of that before too..." o_O

Reactions: WillyTheG
My lender does not have the title, so they been hounding me to get it to them. I told them that’s them and Tesla’s problem, since Tesla brokered the loan.
So either Tesla screwed up and didn't send the documents (or it got lost in mail) or the lender screwed up (presuming they had to sign also). Given current DMV processing times (and you having asked), although it's by no means fast, it's not that slow either.

For my own transaction (I didn't have a lender so it's not as complicated), there was a stack of DMV documents and a FedEx envelope addressed to the delivery center. All I had to do was sign and drop it off and the delivery center presumably send it in to DMV.

I did read in other states, Tesla have provided new temp registrations while the paperwork is processing, but not sure if this is legal in California (especially given the "Steve Jobs loophole" was closed).

So either Tesla screwed up and didn't send the documents (or it got lost in mail) or the lender screwed up (presuming they had to sign also). Given current DMV processing times (and you having asked), although it's by no means fast, it's not that slow either.

For my own transaction (I didn't have a lender so it's not as complicated), there was a stack of DMV documents and a FedEx envelope addressed to the delivery center. All I had to do was sign and drop it off and the delivery center presumably send it in to DMV.

I did read in other states, Tesla have provided new temp registrations while the paperwork is processing, but not sure if this is legal in California (especially given the "Steve Jobs loophole" was closed).
You get temp plates now in CA.

You get temp plates now in CA.
I know that (I'm in CA myself and got temp plates). To clarify, I'm talking about them giving you another set of temp plates/registration every 3 months, as the old ones expired. That way at the very least you have a valid registration and plates when driving around. Given the "Steve Jobs" law was to prevent people from driving around too long on temp plates, not sure if this is allowed in CA.

@WillyTheG , I'm in exactly the same situation now. Per DMV Tesla submitted the fees to DMV in Oct to get the transfer started but they haven't sent out the title documents yet. I just spoke with one of the support person from SC but she said that they'd look into it. I'm assuming at this time you got the title and registration from DMV? What was the process after your last update back in February?

At this point, given the length of the issue that’s been going on - get your state representative involved.

It’s quite funny how quickly companies and government agencies change their tune and “find” missing paperwork when they receive a letter on letterhead from a state representative.

Reactions: Transformer