Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla New Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, finally found some info, just not at the Tesla site. Seems with the old dual chargers a model S was capable of 80 amp AC charging. Now the S and X are capable of 72 amps if you have the 100D or P100D battery.

Vehicle Gen 2 MC Corded MC Wall Connector
Model S/X 100D, P100D 32 amps 40 amps 72 amps
Model S/X all others 32 amps 40 amps 48 amps

charging | Search Results | TeslaTap

So getting an HPWC will be worth while for charging rate and not just the dedicated cable. I wonder why this info is so hard to find at the Tesla site?

Now I need to find a good way to control the timing of charging. Hard to believe they don't build this into the car. I switched over to TOU (Time Of Use) billing on my electric service to save a few pennies. It also helps the utility company by reducing demand at peak times. I set my thermostat to shut off the AC a couple of summers ago and found it was not a big deal with the inside temp rising around 3 or 4 degrees at that time. So I'm doing that now and reaping some of the financial rewards. The car needs to not charge at peak times as well. I've got a 120 V automatic switch which seems to work reliably so far and cost $14. Now I need to see if I can use it to switch a relay for 240 volts. If I can get it to work on the car charging, I can add it to the hot water as well. That will then cover pretty much all the higher cost power consumption.

I wonder if Tesla is thinking about adding this to the car? Jeez, that should be so easy to do. It could probably be done with an app now if that were my forte. I see there is an app that can do this, but charging at different locations would mean the app would need to be aware of that and I don't see that it is. Hmmm... this also applies to the car. It would be a pita to have to redo the schedule every time I leave home for a few days. Yeah, I think I'll add it to the HPWC installation.

The charging display defaults to the last good handshake your car had with a charger. That is good news and means you can charge at that rate and get about the 47mph charge I mentioned above.
You CAN set the start time of the charge through the touchscreen. I also have time of use and charge during superoffpeak which starts for me @1AM.

Last edited:
The charging display defaults to the last good handshake your car had with a charger. That is good news and means you can charge at that rate and get about the 47mph charge I mentioned above.
You CAN set the start time of the charge through the touchscreen. I also have time of use and charge during superoffpeak which starts for me @1AM.

We don't have "superoffpeak", just peak and non-peak. Peak is 6 to 9 AM and 5 to 8 PM in the non-summer months. I'm still charging off 120 VAC so if I start charging at 8 PM I'm likely still going at 6 AM when it needs to cut off. It's really a shame Tesla can't accommodate this in the car.

I was thinking it would be messy because of having different schedules in different locations, but then I remembered... the car knows where it is. Charging schedules can be location specific with minimal fuss! That would be even easier than a third party app to control charging from a cell phone. Is there any way to contact the Tesla development team to find out if they are even working on a solution?

There is a way now to set the start time but not stop time. You can send your suggestions to them through your account. Hit the manage button and then scroll down to send an email. They usually reply in 24/48 hours but do not expect the app to be changed overnight, I am still waiting (6 months) for them to modify the NannyNag so that AP1 is more usable again.

There is a way now to set the start time but not stop time. You can send your suggestions to them through your account. Hit the manage button and then scroll down to send an email. They usually reply in 24/48 hours but do not expect the app to be changed overnight, I am still waiting (6 months) for them to modify the NannyNag so that AP1 is more usable again.

Ok, I made a suggestion through the support feature.

@gnuarm - you can use teslafi to turn off the charging at a specific time / location. Use my username for the how did you hear about us for a 1 month free trial (instead of the normal 2 weeks).

Teslafi does require your credentials. So there is some risk, but I feel it is reasonable.

I have my car set to start charging at 11pm. I have teslafi set to turn it off if I am at home & charging right before my rate goes up.

Teslafi can also be set to start charging at a location. So it could start at the morning time as well.

You can control the stop time by changing the desired charge level of the battery. This requires a bit of calculation but it's doable.