TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Newbie- Charge loss rate in low temps

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hickin, Nov 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hickin

hickin Member

I've had a 90d since sept, and have a slightly atypical charging situation. I live in Jersey City, NJ, and do not have (easy) access to any charging in my high-rise apartment building, so I typically charge my car at the RT-17 supercharger 20 miles away, which is on my to my typical upstate NY driving destinations.. I will not be using my car for the next 2 weeks, and the temperature has started to drop quite a bit. I have 134 miles of range in the car right now, and will be physically out of town for the next 10 days...

Should I err on the side of caution and go charge the car now, or will it retain 50 miles of range over the next 10 days with winter weather finally here? I realize no one can easily give an exact answer, but I'm curious if anyone has specific experience leaving the car unattended and uncharged for over a week in winter time?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You'll be cutting it close in winter, I would charge more before you leave. Also turn off always connected, and resist the temptation to check your car remotely-- that wakes it up and the systems will use more power until it goes back into a deep sleep.

3. hickin

hickin Member

Thanks, TexasEv, per your recommendation, I'll charge it tonight.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I toally agree. Change up to 90% if you can. Cold temps create high vampire loss.