TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla newsletter 2009-2-11

Discussion in 'News' started by bobw, Feb 11, 2009.

1. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Woohoo :smile:

3. Tdave

Tdave Member

Hmm, I'm not so sure they've been approved for the loan yet. News stories are ambiguous. This one, Tesla Motors on an upswing?, just says:

Are reporters confusing a quote from Musk about when the funds would be disbursed should they be approved, assuming they've already been approved?

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Yay! Now I will be able to get a Model S once I get out of grad school.

5. Bradleybang

Bradleybang Member

Is this email from Elon verifiable by anyone else

6. Tdave

Tdave Member

No email here yet. Maybe later today.

7. Bradleybang

Bradleybang Member

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#8 doug, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#9 doug, Feb 11, 2009
    I guess I'll just go ahead and copy it here:

10. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

#10 bobw, Feb 11, 2009
    The full text of the eMail was in my original link.
    It seems Mr. Musk expects the government to follow its own rules.

11. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

You can NOT believe a single word out of Elon's mouth. This is getting very tiring. The loan has not even been approved yet and he is already counting his chickens and saying it will be disbursed in the next 4-5 months. At first I thought he was just having a language barrier or was hard to understand but now with all of these MISTAKES I am thinking he is just a plain old LIAR. They should forbid him from speaking to the public and leave it to Rachael. I just hope that this misstep does not cause the DOE to say " We decided you are not approved" I think he is just a plain old IDIOT who is full of himself.

12. felix pius

felix pius Member

My guess is, that Elon got actually a big relief, when it got clear, that the loan program is proceeding now well, and it seems to me, he's quite shure, that Tesla Motors can fullfill the conditions to get the loan without big difficulty. As an entrepreneur you sometimes don't need the things to be 100% confirmed. It's enough if you can lead the business, making the right decisions at the right time - and I think he knows why he can go straight ahead now with the model S. I don't think you should call him a liar.

13. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I think Elon Musk is correct that Tesla will get the DOE loans.

I cannot think of any other company that is more qualified or viable with this technology. Does anyone seriously think that GM or Chrysler are better long term investments?

Tesla just had their technology validated by Daimler for the Smart EV. When Daimler signed to purchase 1,000 systems from Tesla Motors, that is market proof of viability and superior technology.

Also, Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House in Congress and she represent San Francisco. I think there are something like 70 Tesla Roadsters in her district or nearby. :) They are going to support the local company in San Carlos.

14. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

While I like to believe that Elon is leading the company in the right direction. The way the Rachael approached it was correct. Saying we are in the final stages of approval and that we do not forsee any reason why it would not be approved is totally different than we expect it to be distributed in a couple months. I think he either makes poor word choices or he deliberately misleads to his favor. The more I read the more I think it is the latter. I think this is unacceptable from someone in his position. We expect some spin from PR people but from him it sounds like he is either lying or stupid or perhaps BOTH.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I hope I get to try out a DT1.5 someday. Martin's car was fun, but lacking the low end grunt that extra amps brings to the party.

16. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

It is not that tough to get a test drive. Most people could get one with a phone call.

Or worst case scenario, make a $5,000 credit card deposit for a Roadster, go take a test drive, then request a refund. :)

17. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Valleywag has some serious Tesla envy. For some reason, they just absolutely hate everything about Elon Musk

I seriously doubt Tesla has an average cost of $120,000 per employee, including benefits.

So their number that Tesla needs to make $36,000 per vehicle to meet payroll is high.

But even if it is accurate, Tesla has reported that their costs on the Roadster will be $80,000 each by this summer as they keep controlling costs. So if they are sold for $109,000 each, that is a $29,000 gross profit per vehicle. With options included, I think most vehicles will be around $120,000.

All of a sudden that begins to look profitable.

18. Lancelac

Lancelac 2010 Roadster Sport #690

Elon specifically said that the ROADSTER business would be profitable by summer, not the company as a whole. And, if you were dividing Tesla into 3 parts (3rd party development, Roadster, Model S), you wouldn't put 100% of the employment costs (or resources) into the Roadster business, probably more like 60%, and that will decrease over time (significantly after the 2009 redesign is complete and then slowly thereafter as some employees divide time between projects).

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#20 TEG, Feb 11, 2009