Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer including mobile charger bundle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the article
"We have yet to receive a report from a new owner saying their car didn’t include the bundle"

Teslas in Australia used to come with the HPWC and MC. The HPWC got deleted in mid-2021.

So it wouldn't surprise me to see the MC deleted at some point in lieu of a price increase.
I've never used mine (and suspect many Tesla owners will be the same), although it obviously reduces anxiety knowing I have it. I have used a Type2-Type2 cable many times.

(Ideally you'd be able to purchase a Type2 tail as well (even if it was only max 7kW), rather than having to buy an entire Type2-Type2 cable, but expect this won't happen as all Type1 chargers are tethered)

Reactions: David Sowden
So it wouldn't surprise me to see the MC deleted at some point in lieu of a price increase.
I've never used mine (and suspect many Tesla owners will be the same), although it obviously reduces anxiety knowing I have it. I have used a Type2-Type2 cable many times.
I suspect since the deletion of the included HPWC, many more owners will have used it. I think they do need to include some home charging solution with the car.

(I've used my Type 2 - Type 2 cable about half a dozen times in 2 years!)

I'm still suspicious of the entire concept of not including the UMC. Some people have likened it to mobile phones, where some do not include the charging brick (power outlet -> USB outlet).

The difference is that iPhones and smartphones in particular are ubiquitous, every household has several and the average person is probably on their 3rd, 4th or 5th one. Each of which came with charging cables. Every household has multiple devices with USB ports.

A lot of phones support wireless charging, some people use it exclusively, so might not even want a cable.

EVs are nowhere near the same level of ubiquity.

I get that the UMC may not be so useful in the US, with only 110V electricity. Different story here.
They might be 'only' $400 there, which is about AUD 540. Even with the Australia Tax(GST), they should only be ~$600.
But, in Oz, Tesla charge $860. That's rather excessive, particularly given that they are an essential component for many people here.
Hopefully?? Tesla will reduce the price of the vehicle to compensate.

Reactions: positiv and moa999
If you ordered your car when it included the UMC then consumer law would surely cover you if you insist they supply it, im not sure I’m not going to just accept that they now don’t supply it when they did when I placed my order especially at an additional cost of $800!
Yeah I agree. Not sure I’ll be very happy if they keep removing things anytime they want after I place more order. Especially with such long wait times.