Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer selling NEMA 6-50 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I myself have a NEMA 6-50 in my garage. I also have a GE Wattstation (a J1772 EVSE) plugged into it. I have been debating what to do when I get a Tesla. The HPWC is ideal, but how much will it cost to set up? Does it require 3 or 4 conductor wiring? Can it be limited to something less than 80 amps? The problem isn't just buying the HPWC, it's also that it completely throws away my 6-50 installation. It costs a lot to run wiring for 80 amps of current. With that much draw, it might even require a main circuit upgrade (my house is 200 amp, which is okay for a 6-50, but start pushing 80+ on one circuit and it seems an upgrade might be in order). If you have to upgrade the main, how much extra will that cost? Probably a ton.

If I don't need an 80 amp charge rate, and if it might cost a ton to do all the electrical upgrades and buy a HPWC, isn't it better to try to use what I already have? If they don't come out with a new 6-50 adapter, I could just charge through the GE Wattstation (which I picked in part because it can at least do 32 amps, not just 16 amps like some EVSEs). Would it be better to plug in through the GE Wattstation? Not so much if the main connection problem is between the UMC and the adapter, as either way will be using an adapter (right?).

There is a lot I don't know here. I was hoping by using a higher amp EVSE that plugs in to a NEMA outlet using some beefy 6 gauge wire would protect me from having to redo it all again on my next EV purchase. I have both a reasonable amperage J1772 EVSE plus a standard 240V 50A wall outlet. But maybe not.

Maybe Tesla should sell a 40A HPWC?

I myself have a NEMA 6-50 in my garage. I also have a GE Wattstation (a J1772 EVSE) plugged into it. I have been debating what to do when I get a Tesla. The HPWC is ideal, but how much will it cost to set up? Does it require 3 or 4 conductor wiring? Can it be limited to something less than 80 amps? The problem isn't just buying the HPWC, it's also that it completely throws away my 6-50 installation. It costs a lot to run wiring for 80 amps of current. With that much draw, it might even require a main circuit upgrade (my house is 200 amp, which is okay for a 6-50, but start pushing 80+ on one circuit and it seems an upgrade might be in order). If you have to upgrade the main, how much extra will that cost? Probably a ton.

If I don't need an 80 amp charge rate, and if it might cost a ton to do all the electrical upgrades and buy a HPWC, isn't it better to try to use what I already have? If they don't come out with a new 6-50 adapter, I could just charge through the GE Wattstation (which I picked in part because it can at least do 32 amps, not just 16 amps like some EVSEs). Would it be better to plug in through the GE Wattstation? Not so much if the main connection problem is between the UMC and the adapter, as either way will be using an adapter (right?).

There is a lot I don't know here. I was hoping by using a higher amp EVSE that plugs in to a NEMA outlet using some beefy 6 gauge wire would protect me from having to redo it all again on my next EV purchase. I have both a reasonable amperage J1772 EVSE plus a standard 240V 50A wall outlet. But maybe not.

Maybe Tesla should sell a 40A HPWC?
The HPC has two hots, and a ground. There are dip switches that will enable it to be installed on a lower breaker, which will limit power output.

The thing is, unless one depletes the battery and has to have it charged back up in less than 7-8 hours at home, it's simply not needed. The only time most people need charging that fast is on the road, which of course won't help you, because it's at your house.
It does offer a much neater install, and probably a little bit better reliability, but it also costs $1200 uninstalled.

If I were you, I would try the Watt-station for a while since you already have it, and see how that works. If you find that you need faster charging, you could always get a 6-50 adapter, or HPWC later.

The HPWC can be configured at installation for a number of different circuit sizes, from 50A to 100A.

Like member Skotty, I have a NEMA 6-50 outlet in the garage that was used with a GE Wattstation. You should look at the breaker that was installed with the 6-50 outlet to see what size it is. The Wattstation only requires a 40 amp circuit, however, when mine was installed a 50 breaker and #6 wire was used. At that point (with the NEMA 6-50 Tesla adapter) the UMC can be run at rated output with your existing plug. If you only have a 40 amp breaker and use the 6-50 adapter, you need to remember to set the car to charge at 32 amps. Also, if you find a 40 breaker, the best option is to use the Wattstation at it's power output (32 amps) and you could leave the UMC in the car for traveling. In my case I ordered my car with the twin chargers and got a HPWC with the deal. I have installed the HPWC on a 100 amp circuit but retained the 6-50 outlet as a backup if needed.

Good news the Tesla SC scored me a 6-50 adapter so I am set.

A very interesting thread though - thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm very surprised that Tesla is allowing any of these out the door after the recall notice for the 14-50 adapters. If one of these adapters did start a fire, it's going to be easy to point to the recall notice as evidence that Tesla should have know about problems with the 6-50 adapter, too.

I myself have a NEMA 6-50 in my garage. I also have a GE Wattstation (a J1772 EVSE) plugged into it. I have been debating what to do when I get a Tesla. The HPWC is ideal, but how much will it cost to set up? Does it require 3 or 4 conductor wiring? Can it be limited to something less than 80 amps?

The HPWC only requires 3 wires, same as the 6-50. You can set dip switches inside it to limit power to 40 amps, so it'll work fine on the 6-50 wiring. You can either hard wire it, or you could buy/ make a 6-50 pigtail and use it to plug in the HPWC into the 6-50 outlet. You could also use your Wattstation, and just use the Tesla J1772 adapter. The downside of that is that the adapter doesn't have a button to open the charge port. But you could buy one of lolachampcars key fob charge port openers for that issue. And finally, you could make a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter and use the Tesla 14-50 adapter.

I installed a HWPC in the garage at home because if I used the UMC at home it would remain in the garage for normal use and get packed up and put in the car only when I went on a long trip. It It's then only a matter of time before I would head out on a trip which required the UMS and it would be sitting in the garage 100's of miles away home, happily glowing green, and I'd be stranded. The HWPC adds piece of mind that the UMC is always in the car and whenever it's unplugged from the car back in the trunk it goes, because I won't be using it again in that location for a while.

my $0.02

I stand by my actual statement "This is TOTALLY safe if you just use the UMC in it" but agree if you do plug a 14-50 supplied device into it, it might not be. When I wired by garage by myself with a 100 AMP panel with two 14-50's 50 amp outlets I debated leaving out the neutrals (using 6/2) but in the end couldn't do it despite the fact they would NEVER be used by anyone as after I moved I would change them to 6-50's. Wasn't worth trying to save 40$ out of the total cost of about 600$ for everything.

You're right, it won't do anything for the UMC (since it doesn't use the neutral), but it is not "TOTALLY safe". You must assume that someone could use that standardized outlet in a standard way. Just less than a month ago, I used a 14-50 on a pedestal in a campground that had a broken neutral. I used it fine, but the neighboring RV came quickly to warn me that he had problems with it because his appliances all acted strangely.

I don't care if it's at your house or on a campground, if it's a 14-50 it's supposed to be 250V/125V, 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground.

Just build a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter since you'd only use it in such a case...

I get what you are saying, but I shouldn't have to. If Tesla wants broad adoption of EVs (beyond early adopters, which we all still are), changing requirements like this is a no no. They sold me a 6-50 adaptor, they told Solar City to install a 6-50 outlet and that that was fine, and now they seem to have decided otherwise. In fact, having written this, I'm still inclined to believe this is a temporary thing because it seems too stupid otherwise.

How official? That contradicts what Lloyd was told:

Tesla no longer selling NEMA 6-50 Adapter - Page 2

Well, sort of. But it's hard to imagine they would make replacements, but not sell them.

Yes it does! ,,,,, but I pointed out to them that the 6-50 sends the same current as the 14-50. They agreed, but said that they would not replace these until they were caught up with replacing the 14-50's. Someone probably pointed out that they are selling adapters equilivent in danger to the ones that they are jumping through hoops to replace!

Yes it does! ,,,,, but I pointed out to them that the 6-50 sends the same current as the 14-50. They agreed, but said that they would not replace these until they were caught up with replacing the 14-50's. Someone probably pointed out that they are selling adapters equilivent in danger to the ones that they are jumping through hoops to replace!

I think Tesla must have internal communication problems at least as large as their external communication problems, which would be quite something. It's mind boggling that they wouldn't recall 6-50 adapters at the same time. Certainly their lawyers would insist on this. They're just asking for legal trouble. (IANAL)

I use the 6-50 plug for my Wife's pottery kiln
I have a GE Wattstation with a 6-50 plug and I rewired the receptacle for 50 amps so I could use the UMC at 40 amps with my new MS that is supposedly going to be delivered to me :crying:. The good news is that I ordered a 6-50 adapter two days after the MS and it is sitting lonely in my garage :smile: