Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer selling NEMA 6-50 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The HPWC only requires 3 wires, same as the 6-50. You can set dip switches inside it to limit power to 40 amps, so it'll work fine on the 6-50 wiring. You can either hard wire it, or you could buy/ make a 6-50 pigtail and use it to plug in the HPWC into the 6-50 outlet. You could also use your Wattstation, and just use the Tesla J1772 adapter. The downside of that is that the adapter doesn't have a button to open the charge port. But you could buy one of lolachampcars key fob charge port openers for that issue. And finally, you could make a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter and use the Tesla 14-50 adapter.

Hot dog! Thanks everyone for the information. So the wiring I have would work, and I can even limit the HPWC to work on the existing wiring and breaker (though I would hard wire it and lose having an available 6-50 outlet in the garage). That makes the HPWC more tempting. However, it also sounds like you don't need the UMC when using a J1772 EVSE? I thought the J1772 adapter was like any other adapter and it was used in conjunction with the UMC, but from what you say and taking a closer look at the picture of the J1772 adapter, it looks like it does NOT require the UMC, and plugs directly between the J1772 connector and the car. That's actually pretty awesome, and makes me want to continue using the GE Wattstation when I get a Tesla, even though the HPWC is more tempting to me now. All good news, if I understand everything correctly.

Hot dog! Thanks everyone for the information. So the wiring I have would work, and I can even limit the HPWC to work on the existing wiring and breaker (though I would hard wire it and lose having an available 6-50 outlet in the garage). That makes the HPWC more tempting. However, it also sounds like you don't need the UMC when using a J1772 EVSE? I thought the J1772 adapter was like any other adapter and it was used in conjunction with the UMC, but from what you say and taking a closer look at the picture of the J1772 adapter, it looks like it does NOT require the UMC, and plugs directly between the J1772 connector and the car. That's actually pretty awesome, and makes me want to continue using the GE Wattstation when I get a Tesla, even though the HPWC is more tempting to me now. All good news, if I understand everything correctly.

You do.

Although I ordered a HPWC with my Tesla with twin chargers, I'm not yet sure I can install it with my current load panel- I have enough spots for another CB, but the load calculations will likely show I'm over the max 180Amps continuous (80% of 225AMPs) although my meter is a 320A meter meaning I could upgrade the whole house service if I replaced the main panel. I currently have a Blink EVSE plugged into a 6-50 I was hoping to unplug the Blink and use the 6-50 adapter-to get the full 40Amps- I hope they eventually return the 6-50 adapter to the mix. Otherwise, I may just make an adapter per the link above.

I myself have a NEMA 6-50 in my garage. I also have a GE Wattstation (a J1772 EVSE) plugged into it. I have been debating what to do when I get a Tesla. The HPWC is ideal, but how much will it cost to set up? Does it require 3 or 4 conductor wiring? Can it be limited to something less than 80 amps? The problem isn't just buying the HPWC, it's also that it completely throws away my 6-50 installation. It costs a lot to run wiring for 80 amps of current. With that much draw, it might even require a main circuit upgrade (my house is 200 amp, which is okay for a 6-50, but start pushing 80+ on one circuit and it seems an upgrade might be in order). If you have to upgrade the main, how much extra will that cost? Probably a ton.

If I don't need an 80 amp charge rate, and if it might cost a ton to do all the electrical upgrades and buy a HPWC, isn't it better to try to use what I already have? If they don't come out with a new 6-50 adapter, I could just charge through the GE Wattstation (which I picked in part because it can at least do 32 amps, not just 16 amps like some EVSEs). Would it be better to plug in through the GE Wattstation? Not so much if the main connection problem is between the UMC and the adapter, as either way will be using an adapter (right?).

There is a lot I don't know here. I was hoping by using a higher amp EVSE that plugs in to a NEMA outlet using some beefy 6 gauge wire would protect me from having to redo it all again on my next EV purchase. I have both a reasonable amperage J1772 EVSE plus a standard 240V 50A wall outlet. But maybe not.

Maybe Tesla should sell a 40A HPWC?

so I am currently using my AreoEnvironment 30A EVSE on a 40A circuit from my old LEAF for the MS. The car charges around 22 MPH when it's at full tilt. The estimates I have to run 80A service from my meter base to my garage have been around $1400. Add $1200 for the HPWC and that's a lot of cash. It would be about $500 to upgrade the wiring & breaker to 50A for the HPWC, but I don't think that's worth even $1700 for the incremental decrease in charging time. I guess I could always sell the Aero EVSE to offset a bit of the cost if I decided on going the HPWC route.

I did get the ala carte twin chargers on my car which I got to use once so far to charge @ 80A from a friendly Plugsharian. The SC Is about five miles away & they have a 24/7 outdoor HPWC I could use in a pinch. So I will probably just go buy another 14-50 adapter to keep in the garage by the EVSE.

I received confirmation today that the NEMA 6-50 adapter has been discontinued for the foreseeable future, no demand. I updated the FAQ (see my signature) to reflect this. You will have to manufacture your own cable or purchase it from another source (does TonyWilliams manufacture one?)

I received confirmation today that the NEMA 6-50 adapter has been discontinued for the foreseeable future, no demand. I updated the FAQ (see my signature) to reflect this. You will have to manufacture your own cable or purchase it from another source (does TonyWilliams manufacture one?)
Mine's for sale for $1,000. :wink:

(Seriously, though, it's not for sale. I like having options.)

JakeP posted this link in another thread:

NEMA 6 50 to 14 50 Adapter Plug for Tesla or Other Charge Connectors | eBay

It looks like a good option to plug a UMC into a 6-50.

GSP

JakeP posted this link in another thread:

NEMA 6 50 to 14 50 Adapter Plug for Tesla or Other Charge Connectors | eBay

It looks like a good option to plug a UMC into a 6-50.

GSP

I have made such an adapter myself with giant red labeling that says "Only for Tesla charging, not for RV use!" The problem with making a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter is what do you do with the neutral pin on the 14-50 that does not exist on the 6-50. The Tesla UMC does not use the neutral because it only wants the 240(208) connection. RV's, etc, use the neutral pin to create the 120 Volt connections. If the neutral pin is not connected, and you plug in an RV, then you risk over and under voltages on the 120V legs. If you connect neutral to ground in the 14-50, then you violate modern grounding practices, GFCI's will be unhappy, etc, but no weird Voltages are created on the 120V legs. I chose the latter, and it looks like the maker of these adapters did the same.

From the adapter description:

Adapter to plug NEMA 14-50 connectors into NEMA 6-50 receptacles.
Designed to work with electric vehicle charging stations and connectors like Tesla.

The cable is 10" long.

Not for use in wet locations.

May or may not work with devices that require neutral leg or 120V. May trip GFCI protected circuits when used with devices requiring 120V power.

Please inquire if you need adapter with a longer cable.
We also have 6-30 to 14-30 adapters.

Assembled using Leviton parts.
1 year warranty provided by seller.​

If you buy or make an adapter like this, label it well: "Only for Tesla Charging, not for RV or other uses!"

NO CO2 found an even better option, avail for $60 plus S/H (I had to send an email to inquire). But seriously, if you want/use/need a 6-50, email ownership and tell them so. If the demand is minuscule, then they should be able to satisfy it with all of the existing stock that they pulled back from the Service Centers. If the demand isn't minuscule, then they should continue to offer the Welder's plug option! I absolutely rely on this for northward travel into a SuperCharging desert.

Thanks JakeP for the link to the eBay option. After considering this adapter, I decided against purchasing it, because it is not a sealed unit. Meaning it may not work perfectly in less than ideal (dry) conditons.

I found another supplier, Conntek, who make every possible Tesla adapter, in a pigtail style. Here is the link to the 6-50p to 14-50r adapter that I ordered. About $125 in Vancouver, you may get it for less in the USA.

http://www.conntek.com/products.asp?id=971

We have been making adaptors ad hoc, but in the future we will stock them.

The NEMA 14-50R to NEMA 6-50P is popular.

The HPWC only needs three wires, two hots and a ground. Neutral is not hooked up. You can also set up the maximum current via dip switches so you can limit it to 40A. I had a dedicated 100A circuit added for mine and had them run the neutral wire even though it's not hooked up.

For those of us looking to build a 6-50P to 14-50R adapter, anyone have any suggestions on where to find 6/3 SO cord? My local Lowes and HD don't stock it - it's a special order item. I don't know if they will order 6 feet.

I did think about buying a 10-50 or 14-50 range cord for $21-$24, and cutting off the molded plug. I can't think of any compelling reason not to.

That site does not offer a 14/50 to 6-50 adaptor and unfortunately neither does this site For Tesla Model S (I have bought two adaptors from them already)

I just read through this entire thread, as I am looking for a 14/50 to 6-50 adaptor to use on a trip I have planned this October to a cabin near Yosemite, California. The owner says there is a 6-50 outlet I am welcome to use. He uses the outlet for shop equipment.

I found this 1.5 ft. long adaptor for sale on Amazon Coleman Cable 019408808 8/3 1.5 STW ADAPTER 1450-650 - Extension Cords - Amazon.com

It is described as:

Coleman Cable 019408808 8/3 1.5' STW ADAPTER 1450-650
250 Volts, 10000 watts, 40.00 amp, ANEMA/IEC
Configuration: 14-50P to 6-50R
8/3 AWG

Seems like it would be suitable. 8/3 AWG should be fine for just 1 1/2 feet, right?

I am aware that some people would make such an adaptor by buying the individual parts and wiring them together and while I agree that such an approach is cheaper and seems simple, for $46 including shipping I prefer to buy it.