Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer selling solar products in Santa Clara city, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is no longer installing solar roof and panels in Santa Clara city. I entered the address to place the order. But an error showed up that my address is not in the service area. Until late 2021, I had an order in line but had to cancel it as my home is new construction my plans got stuck in approvals for a long long time.
I tried a few addresses in various zip codes and for all Santa clara addresses, it shows the same message. Addresses across the street which are in San Jose are still working. So weird!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
If this is actually confirmed to be true, I wonder if it has to do with how "difficult" that county was to work with, specifically reported in this thread:

If this is actually confirmed to be true, I wonder if it has to do with how "difficult" that county was to work with, specifically reported in this thread:

I suspect this has more to do with Silicon Valley Power, which is the small utility that serves only the city of Santa Clara.

My friends had similar issues last year when installing power walls. Thank

What's this got to do with SCC? OP said addresses across the street in San Jose are still working, but both Santa Clara (city) and San Jose are in Santa Clara County.

What's this got to do with SCC? OP said addresses across the street in San Jose are still working, but both Santa Clara (city) and San Jose are in Santa Clara County.
For non-locals, it is confusing as there is a City of Santa Clara (CSS), which happens to be located within the boundaries of Santa Clara County(SCC), with completely separate governance. Like @Vines, I suspect it is related to the City of Santa Clara's local power provider, rather than anything else. SVP runs a large natural gas plant for much of the city's energy needs, but I don't know that they have the necessary interconnects to be able to off load excess solar easily. But that is just a WAG.

All the best,

BG

For non-locals, it is confusing as there is a City of Santa Clara (CSS), which happens to be located within the boundaries of Santa Clara County(SCC), with completely separate governance. Like @Vines, I suspect it is related to the City of Santa Clara's local power provider, rather than anything else. SVP runs a large natural gas plant for much of the city's energy needs, but I don't know that they have the necessary interconnects to be able to off load excess solar easily. But that is just a WAG.

All the best,

BG
I think you are correct. Reading the posts here it seems like every entity gets shot at killing your solar project or putting roadblocks into place. Starting with country, state, county, city, and in extreme cases, individual inspectors.