Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Non-Refundable Order Fee Increased to $250

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@YHZ-Owner @Tony_YYZ you both keep disagreeing that the fee is an additional fee ... Tesla has changed their fee and deposit structures almost as much as they have their pricing. I hope the following screenshot clears it up for you. The original post was about the ORDER FEE which is a fee. In the past and certain geos YOU may have or had an ORDER DEPOSIT. What YOU have done is payed an Order Deposit, not an Order Fee.

Edit: If you take the time to read the Order Agreement, you will also see that TODAY they differ between Canada and the US. Canada order agreement NEVER mentions Order Fee. US does, several times. That's because you are giving an Order Payment (or Order Deposit).

I pulled up my old agreements where I have had multiple combinations of order fees, order deposits, order payments, and order pre-payment and refundable and non-refundable combinations. My 2018 had a refundable order deposit AND a non-refundable order deposit. Every single agreement is different. In every case if it was a payment or a deposit, it was JUST THAT a payment or a deposit. If it was an Order Fee, it was an additional cost (that a payment or a deposit was applied against).

This is TODAY:

afee.png

Last edited:
Its always been a deposit towards the purchase price. This is the first I'm hearing that it isn't for some people.

My Model 3 $1k went towards the car and my July 30th Model Y order is showing the same as well.

View attachment 699276

That is in Ontario, where it IS an Order Deposit, it is not an Order Fee like it is (currently) in the US. You will see the same if you read the agreement(s).

Its always been a deposit towards the purchase price. This is the first I'm hearing that it isn't for some people.

My Model 3 $1k went towards the car and my July 30th Model Y order is showing the same as well.

View attachment 699276
I’m shocked that people are paying over $80K for a MY. And that the cost of the trailer hitch went up $300. I paid $1K for it in March in my Standard Range. My invoice was almost half of yours. Yikes.

I ordered a car, paid 250, THEN I was able to get a tradein quote. It was ridiculously low. I cancelled. Anyone know if I can get the $250 back. This was all within half an hour. Calling Tesla, waiting, waiting, waiting............Has anyone gotten their refund? I called the local Tesla sales site and I got sent to the same awful queue.

Last edited:
I ordered a car, paid 250, THEN I was able to get a tradein quote. It was ridiculously low. I cancelled. Anyone know if I can get the $250 back. This was all within half an hour. Calling Tesla, waiting, waiting, waiting............Has anyone gotten their refund? I called the local Tesla sales site and I got sent to the same awful queue.
No. If you read your order agreement you would know it is not contingent upon a trade in.

Any reasonable company with good customer service would.

Tesla ships higher price order first and makes people wait who placed order with cheaper price. There are people on this forum waiting for their order since 2021, while same car is shipped for recent order in the same region. They are literally trying to make every single $ they can make to show higher profits, ie higher stock price.

Tesla is great innovative company but don't care about loyal customers. All about making more $$

A company would be foolish to care so much for their loyal customers that they lose money and go out of business.

Customers are not all that loyal. They re-evaluate every purchase and act accordingly.

These are strange economic times. Companies must be ever vigilant to optimize profits.

A company would be foolish to care so much for their loyal customers that they lose money and go out of business.

Customers are not all that loyal. They re-evaluate every purchase and act accordingly.

These are strange economic times. Companies must be ever vigilant to optimize profits.
Agreed on making profit etc. But purposefully making customers wait over a year is just rude.

You don't have to trade in, sell it yourself or use one of the third party car buyers.

Probably should have got a realistic value for the old vehicle before putting down a nonrefundable deposit.

It is unlikely Tesla will refund this, don't shoot the messenger, but it sounds like the $250 loss is more bearable than the trade in loss.