TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla - North Shore Mall Gallery- Peabody

Discussion in 'New England' started by aronth5, Mar 17, 2018.

1. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

• Like x 1
  2. jtri

jtri Member

That's great hope we can get a service location in the area as well.

3. djplong

djplong Member

Wow.. That may be the most un-proofread article I've ever seen - not even a spell check to catch "ap[plying for a special permit"

4. Abecedarius

Abecedarius Member

The location that Tesla is eyeing at the North Shore Mall is the old Sears auto center. It would be a great location for me; I'm tired of driving to Watertown.

• Like x 1
  5. jtri

jtri Member

I agree. Any thoughts on a time frame?

6. born2run

born2run Member

I haven’t been by there lately - anyone notice any construction going on there? I once bought tires at that sears in a pinch for my old ICE car. It would be fun to go there to get my Model S serviced there now...

7. born2run

born2run Member

Given Sears just declared bankruptcy - maybe we will see an update here soon.

8. minderbinder

minderbinder Member

Here's a link to the permit review, from May (PDF). It says "Sales and Service", which is promising, but the mention is brief and somewhat vague, so hard to tell if it's just a store. Seems like it would be odd to replace a building that size with something that's just a store, though.

http://www.peabody-ma.gov/comm_dev/PB_MeetingMinutes%202018_0517.pdf

• Like x 1
  9. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Nope, not just a store. It's a full Tesla Service + Sales location. They are taking over the whole Sears Auto Center, ~25,200 sq. ft. Tesla applied for the building permits for the necessary alterations towards the end of October. But, with the exception of the electrical permit to upgrade the electrical service to the building, the permits are still pending.

Tesla Service Peabody, MA Permit Form.png

• Like x 2
  10. minderbinder

minderbinder Member

Indeed, you're quite right. I found a few more interesting documents:

City Council Meeting Minutes (PDF): http://www.peabody-ma.gov/pdf_minutes/city_council/032218%20REG.%20MEETING%20MINS.pdf

Page 2 has the details. It's clearly listed as a 'dealership' with sales and service.

Another (better written) news article has the details of what was to be coverted at the City Council meeting: Want to buy a Tesla or a Maserati? Peabody may soon add high-end car centers along Route 114. - Itemlive. Planning for 10 sales & 18 service employees, which would be pretty substantial.

Hilarious that the author thinks a Maserati would have more 'oomph' than a Tesla.

• Informative x 1
  11. djk121

djk121 New Member

• Like x 2
  12. born2run

born2run Member

Looks like it is happening!

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

While a New Hampshire location would be better for Northern New England, at least people won't have to go South of Boston to Dedham, MA.

• Like x 1
  14. EVTuning

EVTuning Vendor

If you’re out of warranty checkout www.electrifiedgarage.com a partnership between EV Tuning products and Rich Rebuilds from youtube putting together our resources. Located in southern New Hampshire and more cumulative Tesla experience than either service center currently has.

15. jonlon

jonlon New Member

With the announcement of Tesla shifting retail/service strategy... has anyone heard if the Peabody service center is still happening?

16. EVTuning

EVTuning Vendor

Both it and the Rhode Island one are on hold until further notice.

• Informative x 2
  17. RDoc

RDoc S85D

With all the Model 3's being sold, Tesla is heading for another public relations mess when wait times for service extend out to weeks or longer. I imagine they'll get away with it though since they have no real competition.

18. CarlSagan

CarlSagan Member

Is this dead in the water? With the Rhode Island store opening soon it seems as though the coin purse for retail investment is back open. I did a quick search on Peabody’s website but holy *sugar* that site design sucks - totally incompatible with mobile and I couldn’t find anything.

19. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

I don't think it's quite dead - four recent Tesla job postings for Peabody including "Automotive Painter", suggesting Peabody may be getting Tesla in-house body work as a service.

Search for Jobs | Tesla

• Informative x 3
  20. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

Swung by this location today in my travels - a bunch of cars outside the front of the building, but I suspect it was employee parking for the mall. I could see a few construction lights inside the building, but otherwise no signs much happening to the building. Five jobs still posted for this location (+1 from early July). Not sure if that's a good thing as it may just mean they're not actively filling the positions