TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla - North Shore Mall Gallery- Peabody

Discussion in 'New England' started by aronth5, Mar 17, 2018.

1. RingEV

RingEV Member

I was there over the weekend as well, lights on but I noticed a construction trailer in the back corner that wasn't there before. Maybe a sign of progress?

2. CarlSagan

CarlSagan Member

Update that this is alive and well. Can confirm that hiring is ongoing. Haven’t gotten the inside word on target opening but will share when I do.

• Like x 2
  3. chronoso

chronoso New Member

At dinner at the mall Sunday night and noticed that the building has large TESLA signage on it now

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

Definitely coming along. 6 HPWC's up on the left side of the building along with new electrical equipment (fed by a 750 kVA transformer). I don't see any signs of supercharger pedestals which seem possible (likely?) for a service center. IMG_0069.JPEG
    IMG_0074.JPEG

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  5. JWardell

JWardell Member

I'm pretty excited to see the Peabody Tesla location finally materializing! Since MINI of Peabody across the street had been my home base for 15 years, where I knew almost all the employees and techs, hopefully this can be home for lots of fun activities and meetups (since I doubt going in for service several times a year isn't half the reason as it was with MINI).

6. Farmer

Farmer Member

Of course Dedham has Superchargers and the service people use them, but as we've seen, that often ties up Superchargers for people coming to the Supercharger to charge. Perhaps Tesla has figured out that destination chargers would basically work as well for service people dealing with cars awaiting service or pickup and at less cost and fuss to Tesla.

• Like x 1
  7. Tdreamer

I was in Dedham over the weekend - if I heard correctly, Peabody is hoping to open for sales before the end of the year and service early next year (I may have that backwards though). Also, while they didn't have any knowledge of superchargers at the Peabody location, they agreed it would make sense to have them at that facility (if not for public use, certainly for service/delivery prep use). The six wall chargers at Peabody are not intended for public use. They also mentioned that Dedham has a few service only private superchargers onsite in addition to the eight out front that clearly are insufficient for deliveries during the quarter end rushes.

• Like x 1
  8. RingEV

RingEV Member

There is a lager Supercharger in Lynnfield, only a few miles away. It's obviously not ideal but an option.

9. Tdreamer

Not much has changed in Peabody since the last update. Doesn't look like any immanent opening.
    IMG_0440.JPEG

10. digitalDCH

digitalDCH Member

#30 digitalDCH, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019

From a Boston Globe article on the 19th...“The completion of the [new] entrance comes as Tesla is expected soon to open an approximately 25,000-square-foot sales and service center in the former Sears Auto Center, while Life Time is constructing a nearby 114,000-square-foot athletic lifestyle resort.”

Also in terms of the question about Superchargers, Tesla is still permitted to add some in the CVS lot at the North Beverly Plaza 5 miles farther up 128N but no hint of any activity there.

11. Tdreamer

Thanks - didn't see that. Given the year-end sales push where every car is a candidate for sale (including showroom cars), they'll probably look at opening January/Februrary (2020). I also noticed there haven't been any Tesla job listings for Peabody in some time, probably having completed hiring plus transfers from Watertown/Dedham/Natick.

12. BrianDS

BrianDS Member

Looking at the Tesla supercharger list, nothing is shown for Peabody.
    Beverly and Burlington are "coming soon"
    US Tesla Superchargers | Tesla
    Nothing for service/sales in Peabody either. I have no idea if they list those locations in advance.

13. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

14. EVTuning

EVTuning Vendor

Most of the staff is going to be moving from Watertown for this location so that is probably why there aren't a lot of job listings. Talking to friends still at Tesla there is no sense of urgency with getting this place up and running so it most likely won't be until after Q1.... probably late Q2 at earliest.

• Informative x 3
  15. Castlerock

Castlerock Member

any news on Beverly Service?

16. EVTuning

EVTuning Vendor

When was there mention of service in beverly?

17. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Perhaps you're thinking of the Supercharger location for Beverly.
    Beverly, MA | Tesla

18. Castlerock

Castlerock Member

I've probably got it backwards. When I last paid attention a year ago I saw that Tesla was trying to hire service techs in the North Shore. With Peabody appearing to be a showroom, I just assumed Beverly would have been service plus SC? It had to be Peabody for service

19. CarlSagan

CarlSagan Member

Once complete it will be sales and service. Original plan was for service to open first followed by new car deliveries. Space is huge so it might end up being the largest delivery center in the greater northeast. The internal supercharger for service is already installed - no current plans for a public supercharger at Northshore.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. BrianDS

BrianDS Member

There is a destination charger at Northshore. I used it last year. If memory serves me correctly, I got 25 miles/hour.
    Better than nothing.