Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Nose Cone Stolen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a dashcam? I would love to see the amount of time it took them. I saw a few on ebay recently and wondered where they came from. My CPO nose cone was replaced when I took delivery, I wanted the old one but didnt get it. My thought was to wrap it in carbon fiber :)

Do you have a dashcam? I would love to see the amount of time it took them. I saw a few on ebay recently and wondered where they came from. My CPO nose cone was replaced when I took delivery, I wanted the old one but didnt get it. My thought was to wrap it in carbon fiber :)

If you know what you're doing it really only takes 30 or 45 seconds to pop it off. I had to remove mine to add my sunpass transponder for Florida tolls. It just pops off with no screws or anything.

I remember years ago when I was a kid it was a thing for people to steal hood orniments from luxury cars... maybe this is the next version of that.

When you install it again, see if you can get a kind of ink bomb that explodes, when the cone is removed improperly. Make sure the ink can wash off the car first ;-)
Oh, and check with your lawyer to make sure that ink splatter is OK -- may vary from state to state -- your mileage may vary.

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: kort677 and Navin
When you install it again, see if you can get a kind of ink bomb that explodes, when the cone is removed improperly. Make sure the ink can wash off the car first ;-)
Oh, and check with your lawyer to make sure that ink splatter is OK -- may vary from state to state -- your mileage may vary.
booby traps like that are almost universally illegal and you are setting yourself for both criminal and civil issues if you did install something like that.

Tort law is not my specialty, but my (very) vague recall is that the 'booby trap' rules apply to situations where the apparatus is designed to cause bodily injury. Still, there are so many state laws, and so many ways to find yourself in court, that it doesn't hurt having a lawyers opinion, or get your friend to do it, and ask him how his court case is going... friend. ;-)

Alternatively, you could just write on the nose, a kind of 'bumper sticker'
HIGH VOLTAGE
(Your aesthetics, etc. may vary)

Wouldn't a booby trap only really count if placed at random to ensnare random people? IE: rigging a door handle in a public place to shock random people, bucket of water above a mall entrance etc? To me this is more don't touch what doesn't belong to you and everything is fine. I'd have no problem with the Smithsonian installing mild lasers to deter patrons touching artifacts for example

I had someone take the stock OEM bug deflector off my Dodge 1500 pickup when it sat in the driveway one night. Talk about an odd and almost worthless thing to steal. It looked a little odd on morning when I went to work. Finally figured out what happened when I compared it to a photo I took when I first bought the pickup. I feel your pain.

+1 on the dash cam. And when you replace it, maybe put a small sign behind it that says, "Hi, you're on camera! Images uploaded wirelessly." Maybe they'll leave it next time.

Last time I was downtown Springfield (Pappos Pizzeria) it took awhile to find parking, finally parked on the street. Most of the city is pretty decent (lived there once and loved it).

Joe

Mine was just stolen as well in the span of parking it at the local mall very close to the superchargers (Fox Hills supercharger in Culver City, CA)! Tesla should install cameras in their spots. Part is $425 unpainted, and then need to get the parking sensors too.

I seem to be able to buy a nosecone off ebay... I suppose I could also buy the parking sensors and stick it on. Are there aftermarket parking sensors available or is it recommended to go Tesla OEM

Attachments

• IMG_1677-4.JPG
    IMG_1677-4.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder if this is the new version of having your pickup tailgate stolen. Big rash of that a few years ago when thieves figured out you can remove most tailgates without tools and they sell for a pretty penny on eBay or Craigslist. I installed a little DIY locking device on mine so that you have to have tools to remove it.

Wonder if that is possible for a nosecone - maybe a strategic zip tie or something to make it harder to remove so they move on to easier targets.