Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not appearing in a hurry to get Model 3s to showroom. . .why not?

Why aren't Model 3s making their way to the SC showrooms?

• Coincidental: No time for display production. Trying to keep up with ramp for reservations.

Votes: 60 31.4%
  • Not-coincidental: Pushing higher margin S and X and keeping the Model 3 away to avoid confusion

Votes: 74 38.7%
  • Serendipitous for Elon- a bit of both.

Votes: 57 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too little news also allows people to take their money elsewhere. I think they should probably start getting people behind the wheel for test drives sooner than later if they can.
As long as there continue to be more new reservations than cancellations this won't be a concern for them. Also, any early reservation holder that has already waited more than a year is not going to cancel solely out of impatience or lack of announcements.

Reactions: 22522
For what's it's worth. . . I'd PUP again. . .but I guess the ventilated seats are gone, not sure what's left. I am so glad I "topped out" my car. I have no shoulda coulda wouldas whatsoever. 5K miles in and I have no regrets- even with upgraded sound and 21" wheels. . .a couple of the hotly debated upgrades

It's not that I don't want PUP. For everyone it's a question of how much they want something versus what they can afford. For example, I just found out that the engineering work on my house is going to cost $60k. Yeay. I was hoping for $30-40k. :Þ

I'm not getting LR. I'm not getting EAP or FSD. Don't want the large wheels. Sticking with black. Not adding any performance packages. I am adding (unless it's crazy expensive) the dual motor/air suspension option because winter conditions last for a long time up here, snow can sometimes get deep, and my land is in the countryside; it's a safety issue. But PUP is a luxury issue.

Reactions: Sully's8
It's not that I don't want PUP. For everyone it's a question of how much they want something versus what they can afford. For example, I just found out that the engineering work on my house is going to cost $60k. Yeay. I was hoping for $30-40k. :Þ

I'm not getting LR. I'm not getting EAP or FSD. Don't want the large wheels. Sticking with black. Not adding any performance packages. I am adding (unless it's crazy expensive) the dual motor/air suspension option because winter conditions last for a long time up here, snow can sometimes get deep, and my land is in the countryside; it's a safety issue. But PUP is a luxury issue.

Now that I think about it, my 3 will not be "topped out" like the S. Will be more utilitarian. Like Iceland, chicago requires Dual motors however so I wait until next year. . . Impatiently.

They have no need yet to advertise the car to people who aren't already reservation holders. But I do imagine they will be delivering showroom cars for reservation holders to take test drives and see/touch/feel the car directly in order to decide which options to order.

Now that I think about it, my 3 will not be "topped out" like the S. Will be more utilitarian. Like Iceland, chicago requires Dual motors however so I wait until next year. . . Impatiently.
I'm sure thousands of Norwegians will disagree with you on dual motors being required. There are thousands of Model S pre-dual motors in Norway and somehow they manage just fine. A good set of dedicated snow tires even on rear wheel drive should be plenty adequate. Sure, dual motors and snow tires would be even better, but the belief that dual motors is required in snowy climates is overblown. And yes, I have lived in snowy climate most of my life and wouldn't think twice about having rear wheel drive only, with proper snow tires of course.

Drove past my local SC this week and it dawned on me that there still aren't Model 3s available to see except in Fremont or in the wild. . . If I was looking to pad the Model 3 reservation volume (i.e. Sell them!), I would be prioritizing getting Model 3s to the SCs as soon as possible. . . So why aren't they?
Because well over 400,000 people have paid Tesla $1,000 each to make a reservation for a car they have not even touched, let alone sat in or driven.

There is no compelling reason for Tesla to get Model 3 vehicles into their showrooms at this time given that hundreds of thousands of people have been waiting over a year to pay Tesla for their Model 3.

Reactions: Brando
I'm sure thousands of Norwegians will disagree with you on dual motors being required. There are thousands of Model S pre-dual motors in Norway and somehow they manage just fine. A good set of dedicated snow tires even on rear wheel drive should be plenty adequate. Sure, dual motors and snow tires would be even better, but the belief that dual motors is required in snowy climates is overblown. And yes, I have lived in snowy climate most of my life and wouldn't think twice about having rear wheel drive only, with proper snow tires of course.

What if your land was in a snowy, windy valley, up a gravel road next to a canyon? ;)

I understand and am empathetic actually. . .had a V8 rwd Lexus for years in Chicago. . .That said I have 8 kids, 5 with licenses and odds are some will be occasionally driving the 3, but my wife will be the primary driver of the 3. Given the risk, the 9K or whatever doesn't break the bank enough to offset the spousal and parental piece of mind.

If it were just for me, I'd consider it. In fact, I pride myself on how I drove that Lexus for years without incident in the Snow and ice.

Reactions: Brando and AlanSqB
Because well over 400,000 people have paid Tesla $1,000 each to make a reservation for a car they have not even touched, let alone sat in or driven.

There is no compelling reason for Tesla to get Model 3 vehicles into their showrooms at this time given that hundreds of thousands of people have been waiting over a year to pay Tesla for their Model 3.

Actually, as a seasoned sales professional, this is anathema. Sales never sleeps my friend. . . The higher the number of commitments the better the coverage for future reversals. But I do understand your underlying message. . .long lead time is a buzzkill.

They did exactly the same thing with the Model S and the Model X. Customers with reservations got their cars first. Some of us were sharing our cars with reservations holders, because no one had seen a production version....

I have every intention of allowing anyone that is a reservation holder or seriously interested in cars to take mine out. Living 200 miles from the nearest Tesla location it could really help some people out. Hopefully they add a referral program even it is a tenth of the S/X program.

I have every intention of allowing anyone that is a reservation holder or seriously interested in cars to take mine out. Living 200 miles from the nearest Tesla location it could really help some people out. Hopefully they add a referral program even it is a tenth of the S/X program.
So only 500 referrals for a free next gen Roadster? ;) Good luck!

Reactions: DÆrik
Drove past my local SC this week and it dawned on me that there still aren't Model 3s available to see except in Fremont or in the wild. . . If I was looking to pad the Model 3 reservation volume (i.e. Sell them!), I would be prioritizing getting Model 3s to the SCs as soon as possible. . . So why aren't they?

I searched and couldn't find a thread on this, apologies if there is.

Poll speculates what I assume are the two most likely scenarios. Pick one or cop out with both. . .

M

I'm jealous that you have a local service center to drive by. I don't drive by the one 200+ miles from my house as a casual side trip.

I'd rather they open one in my 1 million+ population metro area than to worry about how many demo cars are at locations that are already open.

Now once they open one here (whatever year that will be) then I'd sure expect a Model 3 on display and available for test drives.

They've only just started production. They want to get cars into the hands of buyers. So they won't have them in the showrooms until production has reached the point where they can do so without significant delay in deliveries. Pulling some numbers out of my hat:

If they are building 10 cars a day, putting 100 cars in showrooms delays deliveries by ten days. When they are building 200 cars a day, putting 100 in showrooms only delays deliveries by half a day. We just have to have patience. Since mine won't come before next year (owner with second-day reservation) I can wait a bit to see and test-drive one.

I have a 3/31/2016 reservation but I can not place an order until I can see and test drive a car. IMO, Tesla is trying to get a few million miles on Model 3's ASAP and we will see them in showrooms for reservation holder test drive scheduling in late October and November.

The push is alive and well....I just got another email pushing the S or X.

"Tesla showcase events in the mid-Atlantic"

I'm asked to RSVP.
It appears to be nothing more than another invite for a test drive appointment, which I've already turned down. I admit fearing the test drive of the S as I would likely then end up with the S - I'm fragile right now and I feel like they know it.