Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not appearing in a hurry to get Model 3s to showroom. . .why not?

Why aren't Model 3s making their way to the SC showrooms?

• Coincidental: No time for display production. Trying to keep up with ramp for reservations.

Votes: 60 31.4%
  • Not-coincidental: Pushing higher margin S and X and keeping the Model 3 away to avoid confusion

Votes: 74 38.7%
  • Serendipitous for Elon- a bit of both.

Votes: 57 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to put fully loaded Model 3s in their showrooms and service centers NOW.

It is true that they have a year+ worth of orders backed up. But those orders haven't been specced out yet, they could be stripper base model $35K cars, or loaded deluxe $60K+ cars. People need to drive the fancy 3's NOW to induce them to spend more on Tesla's grossly overpriced options, thereby making more profit for Tesla.

I have a 3/31/2016 reservation but I can not place an order until I can see and test drive a car. IMO, Tesla is trying to get a few million miles on Model 3's ASAP and we will see them in showrooms for reservation holder test drive scheduling in late October and November.

+1. My local showroom told me 'sometime in October'. I'm sure we're not the only ones that won't place an order without both seeing and driving the car first.

When they get to the showrooms, they won't be to "sell" the car to the general public, they'll be there for "Meet the Model 3" events and test drives for reservation holders.

Yes, and if others see it, my guess is it will help it sell. . .unless they hide them from prospective buyers. .. which would be the first time in the history of sales that only owners of the product were allowed to see the product. Seems like a bit of a flawed marketing effort. . ."Don't squeeze the Charmin."

Last edited:
Putting them in showrooms might dissuade a few S buyers who are more practical / frugal and don't need an EV just yet.

It will run counter to the "fake" anti-sell of the Model 3. Those who want a S would have already looked into a S. 50-70% of posts on insideevs and electrek have been about Tesla beating sports cars in straight line acceleration early this year and last.

Reactions: gambit48
Nashville is "only" 180 miles away...

They definitely need to serve TN a bit better.

Thanks for the sentiment on serving TN a bit better.

FWIW it's 191 miles driving one way from Market st, Knoxville to the service center in Nashville. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mar...b6d3a9d9e6!2m2!1d-83.9184032!2d35.9632575!1m0

More if you live in north, "south", or east Knoxville, less if you live west of downtown. (note what Knoxvillians call "south Knoxville" is southeast when you look at a map). Also due to rivers/lakes/mountains there isn't any great shortcut from north or south Knoxville to points west, you pretty much end up going very near downtown to turn west if you want to travel at highway speeds.

Last edited:
They can already sell every car that they can build now and for the foreseeable future so there isn't any need to spend the time and money on building and shipping them to the showrooms.
Actually, it's part of the anti-sell campaign that Tesla has going on. There are a lot more showrooms that have a M3 for the service center to completely disassemble than you think. I'm in the SE, and our showroom had one for about 3 weeks now, they just aren't showing it to the public.

Reactions: Cyclone
Actually, it's part of the anti-sell campaign that Tesla has going on. There are a lot more showrooms that have a M3 for the service center to completely disassemble than you think. I'm in the SE, and our showroom had one for about 3 weeks now, they just aren't showing it to the public.
That's for training which they have to do. They have no need to get them into the showrooms for customers yet. Yes, there are some people that will defer their reservation until they can sit in and drive one, but there are plenty of people willing to step up and take their place.

Perhaps the same reason I heard this from a car dealer:

"Oh really? I haven't heard of that model yet. I doubt we will see them this year. Come look at this other car." - I test drove that car at their dealership about 90 days later. They ordered at least 4 of them.

"I've driven one of those. You wouldn't like it. It's small and slow. We drove them at a district meeting and we decided not to stock them." - They had that model on their lot 30 days after that conversation with the Sales Manager.

You can't sell what you don't have. You can sell what you do have.
They sell features that they don't have...

I think it is presumptuous to think reservation means sales. I have a feeling most of the reservationist are people who would like to see, feel, and drive the car before plinking down the remaining $36K or more for the car.

All the people I talked to wants to buy the tesla but they also weren't willing to pay the full price for the car without trying it first.

I seriously hope tesla reserves a few cars to test drive and in gallery to convert the reservations to actual sales.

Reactions: C141medic

Some of us have been fortunate enough to see these service center Model 3s before the service team could move the car away from us. :)

Good luck with that. It is not in line with historical behavior from Tesla. I would not expect to see floor/demo models until sometime in 2018. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.

I disagree that it's not inline with historical behavior. My local Tesla store had a Model S test drive vehicle (as well as a display car) that I got to drive when they had shipped about 250 Model S's to customers (early October 2012). Even earlier they had road shows where people with reservations could do a test drive.

The Model X rollout was a bit of a disaster, so I don't think they want to repeat that, but people with reservations were able to do test drives during a road show in February 2016 after about 500 Model X's had shipped, and regular test drive vehicles started appearing in April after about 2000 vehicles had shipped.

So by previous history, I would definitely expect test drives to be available in October, since they are supposed to be shipping at least a couple thousand cars during that month.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSqB
If Model 3's appeared in showrooms today, the number of reservations would skyrocket and the sales of S/X would drop. Tesla can't have that, not yet with Model 3 production still ramping up.

I think it is presumptuous to think reservation means sales. I have a feeling most of the reservationist are people who would like to see, feel, and drive the car before plinking down the remaining $36K or more for the car.

All the people I talked to wants to buy the tesla but they also weren't willing to pay the full price for the car without trying it first.

I seriously hope tesla reserves a few cars to test drive and in gallery to convert the reservations to actual sales.

My experience is the opposite. It's been precisely why Tesla started the anti-sell. On paper, the attributes of the M3 are so good vs a S, there's no real need for a test drive. If they want, they can check out a S and get a feel of what an EV drivetrain feels like and what Tesla's general build quality is like. But in the end, it boils down to the numbers. 310 miles of range for $50,000 vs $94,000 for 335 miles of range. Same ratio if you go the standard battery 3 vs the 75. Unless the cost of either car is of little consequence, it's pretty much a no brainer. That's why the anti-sell is great to pick off any maybes. They want as many S/X sales as they can. They've got so many reservations, they're not worried about any possible 3s that failed to convert. They were already blown away by how many initial deposits were put down that I can't see how they'd worry at all about losing any 3 sales cuz they couldn't test drive it in the early days. Way too many early adopters for that. You can always delay your order. Tesla is worried about the ramp up, not whether someone with a reservation in 2017 or early 2018 converts or not. By late 2017 or early 2018, there should be plenty of M3s to test drive, reviews will long have been out there, etc. We're talking a very small subset of people here. If they insist on waiting for a test drive, it's no skin off Tesla's back to make them wait a few months.

We're talking a very small subset of people here. If they insist on waiting for a test drive, it's no skin off Tesla's back to make them wait a few months
Totally disagree. I believe there are many people, including myself, who are waiting to test drive the M3 before purchase. I test drove a Model S a few years back and loved it. However: the M3 is not a Model S. Yes there are some similarities but they definitely are not the same. I also had considered the BMW a few years back and liked the pictures and reviews. When I actually went in to the dealership to see it in person however; I hated the interior and the layout of things in the vehicle. Thus, did not purchase. So far I'm fairly confident I will purchase the M3 but definitely not without a test drive.

Reactions: internalaudit