Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not appearing in a hurry to get Model 3s to showroom. . .why not?

Why aren't Model 3s making their way to the SC showrooms?

• Coincidental: No time for display production. Trying to keep up with ramp for reservations.

Votes: 60 31.4%
  • Not-coincidental: Pushing higher margin S and X and keeping the Model 3 away to avoid confusion

Votes: 74 38.7%
  • Serendipitous for Elon- a bit of both.

Votes: 57 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find your argument compelling -- when you've been asked to configure, i.e. when that decision is needed. Until non-employees are asked to configure, I feel this angst is premature.

Fair point. I also know it's not Tesla's fault that it's not known when the tax credit will decrease/expire, and that definitely complicates the decision. But my window is Nov 17-Jan 18 for the initial production. I'm supposedly near to time to configure and I still have no idea which version I want/can afford. I just feel like they are basically anti-selling future versions even more than first production models that they know will be available to some of us soon. I understand wanting to sell what you have right now with the model S, and I get wanting to sell earlier versions of the model 3 too. But in this case, they are likely to be costing themselves money and customer satisfaction by not sharing information that I have to believe they know already. I'm getting some version of this car, why not up sell me on a more expensive version? And yes, I know it's not all about me, but I have to think many others feel this way too.If the initial release is actually my best option, why not let me feel great about my purchase instead of worried I'm making a very expensive mistake?

My local Tesla store resource stated an in-store Model 3 should be available for view before the close of the year. In addition, she stated Tesla may soon offer test drives at locally arranged events.

I think Tesla is working through production issues and is not going to risk the potential bad publicity that would come from having production Model 3's showing numerous quality control / design problems requiring correction.

Tesla skipping full beta testing was a major risk decision. As a quantitative analyst, this decision may be the critical factor to determine Tesla's future as a manufacturer.

Skipping Beta Testing

Hopefully they will be announcing a "Meet the Model 3" event similar to the "Meet the Model X" event a couple of years ago. This would allow only those with reservations to see the car in person and take a quick test drive before confirming their order.

Since our reservation won't come up until next summer, this won't make any difference. I suspect that I will be able to find a Model 3 (blue) owner (Portland, OR) by next spring who will allow my wife to do a test drive.