Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not charging, please help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 M3 has been charging on a 6-20 connection for about a year. Over the weekend, I noticed that it stopped charging (see picture). It says it was getting 0/mph, 2/16 amps, and 245V. What does that mean? Does it mean that my Tesla 6-20 adapter is bad or is it more likely something wrong with the outlet installed in my garage? For what it’s worth, when I switched to my standard 120V adapter and plugged it into my outlet that is less than a foot away from my 6-20 outlet, it charged with no problems (just really slow). I called Tesla service yesterday and the rep seemed uncertain. He said it was nothing with the car itself and wanted to say that it was my outlet, but wasn’t super convincing. So I asked him to order another 6-20 adapter for me to switch out so I can make sure that it’s not that (since it’s warrantied). I’m wondering if anyone can help me understand the numbers though or give insight on what likely the problem is. TIA
18586646-0784-46FB-8732-C8F658812016.jpeg

You know what I like about this post?
You tested charging it via another method. I'm so sick of people saying their one way of charging doesn't work and ask us all to solve the issue.
My very novice opinion is it's the adapter, and it's the easiest variable to troubleshoot. Can you test the outlet by plugging something else into it?
I agree with the rep who says it's not the car.

Divide and Conquer:

Plug something else into your 6-20 outlet;
Charge you car with your mobile EVSE at a 14-50 outlet (buy or borrow the adapter.)
Borrow a mobile EVSE and try at home with your adapter

You should be able to narrow things down pretty quickly

You know what I like about this post?
You tested charging it via another method. I'm so sick of people saying their one way of charging doesn't work and ask us all to solve the issue.
My very novice opinion is it's the adapter, and it's the easiest variable to troubleshoot. Can you test the outlet by plugging something else into it?
I agree with the rep who says it's not the car.
Thanks for the input. I don’t have anything else that I can plug into that 6-20 outlet, nor do I have any equipment to test it. I’ll have to wait for the spare adapter to come in, and then do a process of elimination from there.

We have questionable electric - been using for 7 years now. Reason I mention is that occasionally the car would bring down the amperage to a very level until it stopped seeing 'variations' on our feeder line. Being location based, it would subsequently keep the amps at that level for the next charge.
Did you try to increase the amps that is sitting on 2 ? We had to manually do that.

That would reset our 240v charging back to 30 - but we learned later that running it lower (ie 24) for a while made it feel a lot better - less dropouts.
(There was no reason to keep it at 24 - it just seemed to like our power source there) We still got enough overnight charge to satisfy our needs.

Reactions: RwnsMm
We have questionable electric - been using for 7 years now. Reason I mention is that occasionally the car would bring down the amperage to a very level until it stopped seeing 'variations' on our feeder line. Being location based, it would subsequently keep the amps at that level for the next charge.
Did you try to increase the amps that is sitting on 2 ? We had to manually do that.

That would reset our 240v charging back to 30 - but we learned later that running it lower (ie 24) for a while made it feel a lot better - less dropouts.
(There was no reason to keep it at 24 - it just seemed to like our power source there) We still got enough overnight charge to satisfy our needs.
I haven’t tried. If I’m being honest, I know nothing about how to do that and would be concerned about doing something wrong and frying myself. LOL

Someone in your circle of friends should be able to work a Volt Ohm Meter. If your outlet is indeed a <> 240 V adapter, you should be able to see <> 120 V from each hot socket to ground, and <>240 from hot to hot.
Check the breaker feeding the outlet. If it is two breakers side by side, one may have tripped, so you are getting just <>120V from one hot lead. I sugest changing to an integrated dual pole breaker.
It would be best to do the voltage measurement with a load, as there are all kinds of nutty things happen if you have a resistance issue.
Best suggestion, get a known working charger and try it on that outlet. If it doesn't work, then you may need an electrician.
On the other side of the coin, try your charger in the same type outlet somewhere else.

I haven’t tried. If I’m being honest, I know nothing about how to do that and would be concerned about doing something wrong and frying myself. LOL

Look at the screen you posted... in the lower left corner is an adjustment for Amps. It won't let you go past 16 in this case. If you were plugged into a different source, that adjustment would show the max allowable.
If the car had automatically set the Amps to 2, it was most likely due to a glitch in your elec service - to protect the car. Try setting it back - the car won't let you hurt it.

My suggestion - worth exactly what you paid for it...

1. Press "stop charging" on the upper right of the screen.
2. What does it do? I'm not 100% sure, but I think it should drop to 0v and the current selector should stay at 16a
3. Move the current down to something like 8a using the "-" key
4. Press "start charging".
5. Watch carefully what happens over time. The amps should go up slowly. The voltage should stay pretty constant. May drop ~5v.
6. Does the current make it to 8 amps? Did the voltage drop significantly?
7. Push "+" and increase the current to 16a. Again, what happens to the voltage as the current goes up?

I'm suspecting that the outlet has an issue, the voltage is dropping, the car is detecting it and going reducing the current to be safe.

Look at the screen you posted... in the lower left corner is an adjustment for Amps. It won't let you go past 16 in this case. If you were plugged into a different source, that adjustment would show the max allowable.
If the car had automatically set the Amps to 2, it was most likely due to a glitch in your elec service - to protect the car. Try setting it back - the car won't let you hurt it.
I agree w/ your assertion that the car reduced it. What I'm not sure about is how to set it back. The lower left already says 16a.

I had a similar problem after a recent update.

I would recommend trying to charge at a public L2 charger to determine if
- the problem is caused by your charger or
- if there is a problem with your car.
The problem was with my car, so I made an appointment with the Tesla App to my Service Center explaining my problem.
I received then a text message telling me that they were pushing a new update that I should accept to install, which solved the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick and brkaus
Have you been rolling up the cable too tightly when storing it?

We had this issue with our first wall charger, we were wrapping the cable too tightly and stuffed the connection over time.
No, in fact my cord is almost fully extended all of the time because I back my car into my garage and my outlet is by the garage door so I usually just rest the wand on a shelf when I am not charging my car.