Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not charging, please help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at the screen you posted... in the lower left corner is an adjustment for Amps. It won't let you go past 16 in this case. If you were plugged into a different source, that adjustment would show the max allowable.
If the car had automatically set the Amps to 2, it was most likely due to a glitch in your elec service - to protect the car. Try setting it back - the car won't let you hurt it.
Oh, ok! I never noticed that it was a setting on my screen. I will try this in the morning.

Thanks for the input. I don’t have anything else that I can plug into that 6-20 outlet, nor do I have any equipment to test it. I’ll have to wait for the spare adapter to come in, and then do a process of elimination from there.
Now you are beginning to see why the Tesla guy could not just flat out tell you what the problem was. You've not yet eliminated enough variables. You may not have another place to test that adapter, but what about a friend? A neighbor, take it, the cord and the car some place and test it. This is what makes it hard. But you are working on it. We admire that.

Reactions: RwnsMm
If you’re in San Diego, I can go check it with my Moblie charger and also check your outlet with my meter. If not in San Diego maybe someone close to you on the forum can go check.

Send me a PM if you are close by.

Fred
I live in the Central Valley, about 30 min south of Fresno where everyone still likes to drive big trucks, but thanks for the offer!

Good point by those who talked about the Amps adjustment.
I got my car back from Tesla last week and for some reason when I went to charge it for the first time they had turned the Amp setpoint down very low. I didn't notice it at first because I hadn't looked at or touched that in 10+ months of owning the car.
They didn't charge the car when they had it so I don't know why that changed.

Reactions: RwnsMm
Guys. I am so excited! Thank you to those of you who suggested for me to play around with the charge current on my screen. Even though it was already set to 16 A, the minute I lowered the charge current down, my A went up. I got as low as 5 A then it reflected as me getting 5/16 A. As I increased it 1A at a time, the reading also increased to 6/16, 7/16, 8/16, etc. Long story short is that I increased it to 16 A as the charge current and now it is getting 16/16 A and charging without a problem. Thank you to everyone who tried to help me troubleshoot this. You all are awesome!

Something got something confused for sure. From a financial standpoint I am glad it wasn't in your wiring, outlet, etc. But I would send a bug report, it MIGHT send some clues - pointers, values, etc.
I have two TV stations, 5 radio stations, 11 transmitters to keep running. Almost 200 PCs and PC based controllers in all. Unless something is smoking, most repairs are effected by rebooting, or sometimes unplugging the power cord. Really.
Glad you are back to normal, though!

Something got something confused for sure. From a financial standpoint I am glad it wasn't in your wiring, outlet, etc. But I would send a bug report, it MIGHT send some clues - pointers, values, etc.
I have two TV stations, 5 radio stations, 11 transmitters to keep running. Almost 200 PCs and PC based controllers in all. Unless something is smoking, most repairs are effected by rebooting, or sometimes unplugging the power cord. Really.
Glad you are back to normal, though!

That is true. At the end of they day, Tesla's are huge computer on wheels!

Glad the Amp adjustment brought it back.

Now consider having the wiring to the main panel checked (especially if it happens again as this could be an indication of the Tesla sensing voltage variations and adjusting accordingly). Have an electrician tighten all connectors from inside the Main Panel to the outlet you are using.
Loose wiring can cause a fire.

Hi,

This has happened to me. The problem was with the Wall Charger.
I have an isolation switch for the wall charger, I switched off the power supply and turned it back again.
This resolved the issue. If you do not have an isolation switch you may try by switching off the power supply to your house.

Hope this help,
Cheers