Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Not drawing charge from at home charger

DGrossman84

Sep 14, 2021
Virginia
I've owned my tesla model 3 for almost 3 years and have had no issue charging with the car or my at home wall charging station (version 2 model I think). Over the last month or so I was getting "charging interrupted" notifications and my car had stopped charging. I attributed it to the heat and something getting overheated, so I downed the amperage to 16/32 and that seemed to resolve the issue. Then over the last two weeks the issue got worse. Constant interruptions...downed the amps even more...limited success. Yesterday my car stopped taking charge from the wall charger entirely. Plugged in, reads 240 voltage, but drawing 0/32 amps. Wall charger rolls green, car port green flashes...looks like its working, but no charge. Reset the car, reset the charger, tried resetting the circuit, same result.

Tried charging using the plug-in adapter car charge fine. The wall charger appears to be working, and the car recognizes it and seems to initiate the charging process, but draws 0 amps. It's a gen 2 charger, so i don't think it gets wifi firmware updates... I've been scouring these message boards and it seems like other people are/were experiencing similar issues (this thread Charging Issue Level 2 at Home sounds similar to what I'm experiencing). I'm running software 2021.24.5 ... I can't remember when I installed that or if that installation coincided with the problems... Any ideas?

Ezmendriz

Jul 28, 2020
Burke, VA
Try disconnecting the power to the charger completely (via a breaker or something) and re-connect. sometimes mine need a hard reboot before start charging again.

Gasaraki

Oct 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
Anytime someone posts something like this you have to try other charging methods first. Does 120 charging work? Can you use a Supercharger?
Try eliminating some variables.
Yes, try the 120V charging and try to fine another wall connector to plug in. That should tell you if there is a problem with your charger (in the car) or something wrong with your wall connector or wiring in your house.

Yapa Drive

Dec 17, 2019
Silverton, Oregon
I don’t have an HPWC. I just use NEMA 14-50 outlets. I had similar repeated problems with a ”charging interupted” notice. I found that the plug had worked it’s way a little loose. Pushing it in solved the problem. It may have been repeated hot/cold temperature fluctuations that caused it to be slightly loose & cause voltage variation.
It could be the same thing with a loose set screw holding in a supply wire.

DGrossman84

Sep 14, 2021
Virginia
Anytime someone posts something like this you have to try other charging methods first. Does 120 charging work? Can you use a Supercharger?
Try eliminating some variables.
I mentioned in the original post that 120 charging works via the plug in adapter. So the problem seems to be the interaction between the car and the charger...I

@Ezmendriz Tried circuit reset. No change. Charger appears to be working, car recognizes it and detects 240 volts, draws no amps.

@Sophias_dad Tried the button, also no luck.

I appreciate all the input tho.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
I mentioned in the original post that 120 charging works via the plug in adapter. So the problem seems to be the interaction between the car and the charger...I

@Ezmendriz Tried circuit reset. No change. Charger appears to be working, car recognizes it and detects 240 volts, draws no amps.

@Sophias_dad Tried the button, also no luck.

I appreciate all the input tho.
Apparently HPWCs are warrantied for four years. time to call Tesla.

Reactions: Ezmendriz

Flybyglass

Feb 2, 2020
New England
I've owned my tesla model 3 for almost 3 years and have had no issue charging with the car or my at home wall charging station (version 2 model I think). Over the last month or so I was getting "charging interrupted" notifications and my car had stopped charging. I attributed it to the heat and something getting overheated, so I downed the amperage to 16/32 and that seemed to resolve the issue. Then over the last two weeks the issue got worse. Constant interruptions...downed the amps even more...limited success. Yesterday my car stopped taking charge from the wall charger entirely. Plugged in, reads 240 voltage, but drawing 0/32 amps. Wall charger rolls green, car port green flashes...looks like its working, but no charge. Reset the car, reset the charger, tried resetting the circuit, same result.

Tried charging using the plug-in adapter car charge fine. The wall charger appears to be working, and the car recognizes it and seems to initiate the charging process, but draws 0 amps. It's a gen 2 charger, so i don't think it gets wifi firmware updates... I've been scouring these message boards and it seems like other people are/were experiencing similar issues (this thread Charging Issue Level 2 at Home sounds similar to what I'm experiencing). I'm running software 2021.24.5 ... I can't remember when I installed that or if that installation coincided with the problems... Any ideas?
Call Tesla. Go to charging support. I had this issue with a Gen 3 charger and it was the temp sensor in the wall charger. They sent out a charger head to swap (easy to do no electrician needed). Only thing with Gen 3 must re-initialize the new charger to your home WiFi.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC