Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not honoring price on LR RWD M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should complain very loudly. If you are a girl show a little tear
Kind of a cheap shot CrazyM3 -- the post you quoted makes a great point.

I agree - keep complaining about it. Don't stop. Do Not give them a pass.

Tesla enthusiasts are stuck on making excuses for crappy business practices. I bet the same people making excuses - telling people to suck it up - would sing a different tune if the issues involved a different product, from a different manufacturer. Too caught up on the luster of Tesla, to see the problem.

I sure bet if everyone wrote an email to Consumer Reports - they would listen.

Reactions: 3Sweet
Final Update to this thread: Tesla just called me back and they are honoring the price that I was given. I will be getting my LR RWD Model 3 (Blue/Black/19") with Autopilot and Full Self Drive for $52,000. Good on them for doing what is right. Now to just get the delivery of my new ride! Thanks for the lively discussion.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHO YOU TALKED TO. I am in the same boat but Tesla is Fully at fault. PLaced and order 4/12 day before delivery They changed the price By 2 k uP. Please provide me contact info.

Final Update to this thread: Tesla just called me back and they are honoring the price that I was given. I will be getting my LR RWD Model 3 (Blue/Black/19") with Autopilot and Full Self Drive for $52,000. Good on them for doing what is right. Now to just get the delivery of my new ride! Thanks for the lively discussion.

Great to hear they did the right thing. I missed this post before adding my comments to this post.

It's good to see Tesla standing up, and taking care of their customers. The folks who advocate for the brand.

• Disagree
Reactions: 3Sweet
Folks,

Let’s not insult each other and the intelligence of those Tesla’s employees.

It’s obvious AP is not meant to be included on off menu cars and cars in flight.

This is a fact.

What is also a fact is that their web site is buggy and knowledge from one sales person to another is inconsistent.

Some get a bonus due to luck or negotiating prowess but it’s nothing owed.

Tesla should honor it for everyone or say no to everyone. Which unfortunately is not the case.

Thread title to be accurate needs to read “Tesla made a pricing in my favor and not honoring it”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nine2Five
If you uncheck the box for FSD you might get a button to add Autopilot for Additional Due $0.

However, when I pushed that button last week, it went ahead and added $3000 to the cost. Not sure how to know whether that’s fixed.

This is exactly what happened to me! On Saturday my sales rep helped me order the following...

Model 3 LR RWD, MSM, Autopilot for $45,500

On Sunday sales rep tells me it looks like autopilot got pulled from my order. When I looked at the upgrade to FSD option I had Autopilot included and FSD offered for $5k. I unchecked it, the price went to $0 and clicked that damn blue button. I thought that fixed my problem but it added $3k instead. My total is now $48,500...not much of a deal compared to the AWD pricing now.

My sales rep and customer service chat told me not to worry and delivery will fix my price. Delivery said they tried their best and absolutely cant sell the car to me at the original price I ordered it at. It's very disappointing.

Thread title to be accurate needs to read “Tesla made a pricing in my favor and not honoring it”.

No, the thread title is perfectly accurate. Tesla made a blog post about all cars coming included with autopilot. There was no subtext or fine print to read, all cars will now include autopilot.

Their ordering system showed autopilot included, and still does today for outstanding orders over a week later. Their blog post is still up with the exact same wording. They advised that pricing would be adjusted to reflect the changes, and due to this somewhere quoted $1k more for a LR RWD model while others were told it was the same price as previous.

Tesla needs to take care of customers in this situation. This could cause a lot of bad press, because it’s clear what they were trying to do. Making that mistake in one place is one thing, making that mistake in multiple was meant to drive up orders.

No, the thread title is perfectly accurate. Tesla made a blog post about all cars coming included with autopilot. There was no subtext or fine print to read, all cars will now include autopilot.

Their ordering system showed autopilot included, and still does today for outstanding orders over a week later. Their blog post is still up with the exact same wording. They advised that pricing would be adjusted to reflect the changes, and due to this somewhere quoted $1k more for a LR RWD model while others were told it was the same price as previous.

Tesla needs to take care of customers in this situation. This could cause a lot of bad press, because it’s clear what they were trying to do. Making that mistake in one place is one thing, making that mistake in multiple was meant to drive up orders.

Off menu ordering was showing ap included in errata.

Website ordering is a totally different animal.

Clean copy writing would omit except off menu ordering as off menu is the exception and not the norm.

One size fits all actually means one size fits most.

Tesla can just refund the deposit and go

1.) you can reorder with fixed pricing
2.) you can go buy a Bolt

I agree it’s a PR issue but I know the real deal is to strong arm Tesla to honor a bug.

When Tesla tells you “this is actually the price” and you haven’t fully paid them. Why don’t we believe them?

Last edited:
Off menu ordering was showing ap included in errata.

Website ordering is a totally different animal.

Clean copy writing would omit except off menu ordering as off menu is the exception and not the norm.

One size fits all actually means one size fits most.

Tesla can just refund the deposit and go

1.) you can reorder with fixed pricing
2.) you can go buy a Bolt

I agree it’s a PR issue but I know the real deal is to strong arm Tesla to honor a bug.

When Tesla tells you “this is actually the price” and you haven’t fully paid them. Why don’t we believe them?

I think you are being a little hard on people here. You have almost 6,000 posts so you've been around the Tesla community for some time. For many people posting here, they have just placed their first order for a Tesla and are sharing their first experience with the company. They place an order for a $44,500 LR RWD car, and the quote and even MVPA says it includes AP. Then they go to arrange for payment and delivery of their car and the price increases by $3,000 at the last minute. So they post their frustration here, and you tell them tough, go buy a Bolt if you don't like it?

Folks,

It’s obvious AP is not meant to be included on off menu cars and cars in flight.

This is a fact.

What is also a fact is that their web site is buggy and knowledge from one sales person to another is inconsistent.

Some get a bonus due to luck or negotiating prowess but it’s nothing owed.

Tesla should honor it for everyone or say no to everyone. Which unfortunately is not the case.

Disagree 1000%. Nothing is obvious with Tesla pricing right now. The car he ordered was “off menu” therefore there is no more listed pricing. Also, Autopilot is now included. Furthermore, this is an inventory car, which they are negotiating pricing on.

The OP has no recourse in pricing than to believe what was quoted. Tesla needs to honor this price, and it’s a good thing they did. Tesla customer service is a total farce right now.

I can understand both sides of the discussion - the buyer should get the lower price because that's what was stated, and those suggesting that it was a mistake, and if they lowered the price they would be favoring one buyer over others. I don't have a good answer to solve the problem, but I do have some other thoughts.

Less than 5 months ago I took delivery of my M3 LR RWD from the same Raleigh location. When I ordered my car AWD wasn't available, and I likely would have ordered it if if were. The price difference back then was $5000 more for AWD, when it became available. Autopilot was priced near $5K and FSD was $7K more. So, I ordered a LR RWD in basic black with the 19" wheels, no AutoPilot, no FSD. Pre-fees/delivery the price was $50,500.

Now the RWD option is "off menu" - if it's available at all, but the pricing has changed dramatically. Today a LR AWD in black, with 19" wheels, and standard AutoPilot (admittedly an option not now offering NoA) lists for $51,000. That car configuration has AWD, faster acceleration, and standard Autopilot compared to my not yet 5 month old RWD version. That's $500 more than my car price. For that the new buyer gets AWD ($5K - a few months ago), AutoPilot (Another $5K option for my car). Both cars have the upgraded 19" wheels. So the new buyer gets $10K of things I didn't get for $500. Not a bad deal. Yes, the tax credit is half of what it was, but that's only a $3,750 difference. The new buyer is still ahead $6,250 after the tax credit.

Should I feel badly, "cheated", or otherwise expect Tesla to do something to make up the difference? No, I don't expect any of those things. I'm just amazed that Tesla could lower the price as aggressively as it has to attract new buyers and provide even more value. Want another example of how aggressive Tesla's pricing has become? How about this. I remember reading Dan Neil's review of the M3 Performance in July 2018. His review was for the M3 Performance in Red with "all the options". That car listed for $78,000. The same car equipped the same as it was in his review today lists for $66,000, a $12K price cut - over 15% less for a car that's had several other improvements along the way, including the likelihood of also have V3 hardware preinstalled, and a model year newer than the review car.

My point? Simply this - Tesla has done what no other manufacturer I know of has done. They've aggressively lowered the price of their cars and offered new features for free (I've had 5 Version upgrades to the car's system in five months at no cost). The price reductions are dramatic across all models - 3, S, X. In such a rapidly changing environment is it possible that things get miscommunicated and some clients get annoyed/aggravated? Sure it is, but look at the bigger picture. We're getting more car for the money than ever with Tesla, and they're doing it proactively. (Did anyone expect the base SR version would include the full glass roofs front and back - I surely didn't)?

Tesla is still a "work in progress", and anything that makes it more financially stable and builds the company is fine with me. That doesn't mean they don't need to better educate their sales team, and upgrade the service issues that many point to as needing better consistency, but let's give them credit for being bold (maybe too bold at times) and moving forward as best they can.

Will some earlier owners have mixed feelings about the pricing shifts and feature adds? Without doubt, but Tesla's mission is to provide high quality products at levels that make them available to more potential owners, and I, for one, applaud their effort and support it fully.

Last edited:
Reactions: ammulder and MXWing
This is exactly what happened to me! On Saturday my sales rep helped me order the following...

Model 3 LR RWD, MSM, Autopilot for $45,500

On Sunday sales rep tells me it looks like autopilot got pulled from my order. When I looked at the upgrade to FSD option I had Autopilot included and FSD offered for $5k. I unchecked it, the price went to $0 and clicked that damn blue button. I thought that fixed my problem but it added $3k instead. My total is now $48,500...not much of a deal compared to the AWD pricing now.

My sales rep and customer service chat told me not to worry and delivery will fix my price. Delivery said they tried their best and absolutely cant sell the car to me at the original price I ordered it at. It's very disappointing.

Wow - absolutely garbage!

I saw a comment saying "nothing is owed" (from Tesla) -- I have to disagree, Tesla does owe it to their customers to get their stuff together, when it comes to pricing.

Pricing feels like something you wouldn't have an issue keeping track of as a business.

Ya'll need to stop giving Tesla a free pass for all this garbage - making up excuses for Tesla.

Makstaks - I hope they get you figured out!

btradio let me know how you ironed this out, the same thing has happened to me with my 3. They said they would look into it and that i could bring it back or buy one for a couple thousand more. Sales admitted that the mistake was on them and they want to make it right, but they continue to put it off and now say i could have refused the vehicle that i put a down payment based on the agreed upon price.

Sure it was a mistake on their end that cost me an extra $3,000 above the agreed upon price. Let me know what you found. thx

Folks,

This is a fact.

That "fact", as you say, wasn't immediately "obvious" when they sent all of us in Europe a mail stating that ALL vehicles would now be sold with AP included. "All" doesn't "obviously" mean "all vehicles visible in the online configurator". "All" used in a sentence without qualifiers is rather non-ambiguous.

Nevertheless, being the prudent type, I specifically ASKED whether that was also true for the off-menu RWD LR, to be told by someone mandated to represent Tesla that yes, that was true, who then confirmed the exact difference in price from SR+-with-AP to RWD-with-AP.

From that moment onward, Tesla has a contractual obligation to honour the price guarantee, and that is a fact, whether Tesla "meant" it or not.

In my case, though, they never disputed that they were going to make it right (for everyone who was communicated that price, not for those who ordered later after Tesla had made sure to spell out AP was not included to anyone asking for an off-menu quote).

FWIW, in Europe, AP is now included even with the off-menu RWD LR, but at a price that is slightly higher, by one third of the earlier price of AP when not included.

It just took very, very long for things to be sorted out and communication was sparse.

Last edited:

Because once you order a car the order agreement is a contract, and there are laws about these kinds of things, i.e. consideration in exchange for your promise to pay them if they sell you that car at that price. That contract does not start to exist when you fully pay the purveyor of goods, it exists when you order and they accept -- which is why if you order an Audi E-tron and then back out, they can force you to pay quite a handy sum for canceling your order.

No, you can't make people order one thing and then tell them "oh, the price has changed" at final delivery, except if the order agreement specifically spells out how price adjustments could occur.