Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not honoring price on LR RWD M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the Tesla location in Raleigh, NC on Sunday 4/14 and agreed to purchase a LR RWD M3. They had one in stock. I was very specific to the sales person that I Autopilot and FSD were important features to me. According to him, the one in stock had autopilot already and he would just have to add the FSD option for $5K. The car was listing at $47K, so he quoted me a final price of $52K. Worked for me, so I did the order online at the dealership and everything was good to go (so I thought.) When I got home and checked my email, the PDF did not list the FSD option and only had the car at $47K. Called Tesla on Monday and they said "no problem, we can add it on". They did, but now the car is showing at $55K. Called back and spoke to them again this morning and they told me that "we had the wrong info on Sunday and the off-menu options don't include AP, so your upgrade cost is $8K for AP/FSD package." Needless to say, I am pissed. I was sold a particular car at a particular price and feel completely lied to. The person I spoke to on the phone was completely disinterested and was all "that's how it is".

Does anyone have any suggestions? My actual sales rep has yet to return my call despite multiple messages. I feel very lied to at this moment and it is greatly souring what was a pretty happy experience. I just want the car for the agreed upon price. If they screwed up, it shouldn't be my problem.
I would back out and cancel.
Imagine if this is the norm from a company communications? Which it is.
And don't give us "this is a young company crap".

This is clearly Tesla's fault for changing things so often but not communicating it to their people correctly. I'm sorry, but I don't look on this at all at "getting one over" on Tesla. They changed the game so that in order to place an order for this particular car, you have to talk to someone. You cannot do it solely online. Therefore you have to take the word of the person that you spoke to as what the company represents.

II'm the last person to pound their fist on the table and be "one of those people" but I am failing to understand how the OP should simply let Tesla off the hook on this one.

I'm not understanding this either. But you did start by saying they had what you wanted "in stock" so it doesn't sound like you were ordering a custom build through the design studio. They apparently thought their list price included the AP, since all will include AP in the future, but if it was already built and ready to deliver, then AP could easily not be included, even if they thought it was. I'm having a hard time figuring out what the config was for that price? My LR RWD was $49k last May without AP. AP would have been another 5K (I believe) with FSD another $3k at the time. So a LR with FSD came in at $59k. I know the prices fluctuate, but you're saying you were getting a price of $47k with AP and told another $5K would get FSD. That's $52k. That's a huge difference that would be sending bells off in my head. I might think "holy crap, they missed something here. It can't be right." But I certainly wouldn't think it was. I would expect them to come back and say "Uhh, sorry about this, but we screwed up. That's not the price". But I still feel your frustration. But it also seems like you are trying to take advantage of a substantial mistake on their end.

As I was buying something "off-list", I was at the mercy of their salesperson doing all the click-through and searching for inventory. The car that he found clearly showed autopilot as a feature for $47,000. If you add on FSD, it comes to $52,000. None of this is about taking advantage. I didn't go into the transaction like any of the previous 10 cars I have purchased in my life where haggling is part of the deal. I went in knowing that the price they gave me was what I would pay. I had no problem with that. But again, if, as a company, you are going to limit how a customer can purchase a vehicle by requiring them to go through your live staff, you need to ensure that 1. the staff is up to speed on any current policy/pricing changes and 2. that the tools they are using (the Tesla employee sales website/their SalesForce inventory search) are up-to-date. Sorry that my knowledge of every pricing option of the Model 3 isn't encyclopedic, therefore I am relying on them to walk me through a little of the process. I *did* read carefully the included options before I put in my info, paid my money and placed my order. It wasn't until I received the PDF later that things had changed. Everything at the store was consistent. It's really crazy to me how many people are saying "too bad, pay the extra $3000". It feels like none of you have ever made a big purchase before. Either that or you are much more willing to give money to someone that you weren't expecting.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Wouldn't canceling the order be the right recourse for the customer so Tesla is held accountable for its employee's mistake because they lost the sale?

Not to me, I want the car! :) (Let's not confuse the love of the vehicle with the obnoxiousness of this process!) Also, there are other things to consider: the additional money paid for an electrician to install a plug to charge, the setting up of financing for the car which is a credit report hit, my time, etc. Buying a Tesla is a much more involved process than buying a regular ICE car. Well worth the effort, mind you, but still, young company or not, don't harm your customers by changing the terms after the fact. (and I will say again, had I not put money down and started the sales process, backing out would absolutely be the right answer. After money is paid in good faith, though? They should honor the sale.)

It’s an honest mistake on their part, and you shouldn’t look to take advantage of honest mistakes. My rep mistakenly told me autopilot was included on my 35k when it wasn’t. I just let it go. Tesla is a young company, and you shouldn’t try to play lawyer with a young sales rep. I know it’s not what you want to hear but it’s my honest opinion.

Jesus, how long are people gonna keep using this tired fall-back excuse?

Reactions: GreenT
I did put the $2500 down while at the store so I do feel it was a contract. And to the earlier comment, this isn't about trying to "play lawyer" or "take advantage of a young company/sales person" (especially as my sales person was in his mid-50s). It's that we agreed upon a spec level and price for the car and I ordered it. $3000 is a significant difference and they shouldn't have people out there selling these cars if they don't know what they are talking about, you know? Since I can't order an LR RWD directly myself anymore, I am at the mercy of their sales staff. I don't think I am being unreasonable at all.

And if it ends up being a refund, so be it.

Imagine if this was one of the "legacy" car companies, people would have a field day shredding them to pieces. But this happened at Tesla, so "young company" still going through growing pains is the default excuse, Lol.

Wouldn't canceling the order be the right recourse for the customer so Tesla is held accountable for its employee's mistake because they lost the sale?

In the end, that would hurt Tesla the most. However it's up to the purchaser as to what he wants to do.

As I was buying something "off-list", I was at the mercy of their salesperson doing all the click-through and searching for inventory. The car that he found clearly showed autopilot as a feature for $47,000. If you add on FSD, it comes to $52,000. None of this is about taking advantage. I didn't go into the transaction like any of the previous 10 cars I have purchased in my life where haggling is part of the deal. I went in knowing that the price they gave me was what I would pay. I had no problem with that. But again, if, as a company, you are going to limit how a customer can purchase a vehicle by requiring them to go through your live staff, you need to ensure that 1. the staff is up to speed on any current policy/pricing changes and 2. that the tools they are using (the Tesla employee sales website/their SalesForce inventory search) are up-to-date. Sorry that my knowledge of every pricing option of the Model 3 isn't encyclopedic, therefore I am relying on them to walk me through a little of the process. I *did* read carefully the included options before I put in my info, paid my money and placed my order. It wasn't until I received the PDF later that things had changed. Everything at the store was consistent. It's really crazy to me how many people are saying "too bad, pay the extra $3000". It feels like none of you have ever made a big purchase before. Either that or you are much more willing to give money to someone that you weren't expecting.

Exactly.

If you went into say Tree Frogs to buy a swing set, and asked them: How much does the Orangutan swing set cost, and they told you, "Oh, well, that swing set is $5,000. However, there is a discontinued swingset, the Great Ape, which is no longer shown on our website. It's pretty similar to the Orangutan. It has some features that one doesn't, but also doesn't have a few other features that the Orangutan does. But since it's a discontinued model, I can get it to you for $4,000 since we are trying to get rid of inventory, what do you think"? And you said "oh, that looks nice. I see it has the rock climbing wall in this picture. Are you sure it has that wall, because that's really important to me" and the guy said "yep, this model of Great Ape has the rock climbing wall included" and you said "great, I'll take it for $4,000".

Now what happened if they called you back and said "you know what, that Great Ape doesn't come with the rock climbing wall, that's an extra $1,000", what would you say? You'd say "sorry, but I asked you if it was included, you said it was, and I expect you to honor it". Or you'd say "no thanks". I doubt any of you would say "ok, that feature I specifically if it was included and you indicated it was and is really important to me, you can charge me an extra $1,000 for it". No way. You'd feel lied to.

I chose this example because if falls into a product that's shown online, but has variables and you are buying a specific unit. I fail to see how the OP's situation is any different than this, and why anyone would expect a different reaction by him / her.

So in the system the car has AP, but your MVPA shows as you not asking for AP?

Final Update to this thread: Tesla just called me back and they are honoring the price that I was given. I will be getting my LR RWD Model 3 (Blue/Black/19") with Autopilot and Full Self Drive for $52,000. Good on them for doing what is right. Now to just get the delivery of my new ride! Thanks for the lively discussion.
Am happy that it is resolved, although I disagree with the logic. But I am thrilled that you're happy, and that Tesla has yet another great brand ambassador. Enjoy your car!

Final Update to this thread: Tesla just called me back and they are honoring the price that I was given. I will be getting my LR RWD Model 3 (Blue/Black/19") with Autopilot and Full Self Drive for $52,000. Good on them for doing what is right. Now to just get the delivery of my new ride! Thanks for the lively discussion.

It looks like you got a $3,000 discount by hanging in there and being persistent. Very nice! That’s a great deal. Now go get your car and enjoy it!

I agree with the general consensus here. You should fight back.

Tesla (hopefully someone from Tesla sees this) -- Tesla really needs to get their stuff together with regards to pricing & price changes. No other product manufacturer seems to change their prices monthly. This is just crazy.

They should honor the price you were told, especially if you put money down.

At the very least, they should give you a price break, to at least put the price closer to what you were told by their employee. This is not "getting one on Tesla" - this is Tesla doing the right thing.

I agree with the general consensus here. You should fight back.

Tesla (hopefully someone from Tesla sees this) -- Tesla really needs to get their stuff together with regards to pricing & price changes. No other product manufacturer seems to change their prices monthly. This is just crazy.

They should honor the price you were told, especially if you put money down.

At the very least, they should give you a price break, to at least put the price closer to what you were told by their employee. This is not "getting one on Tesla" - this is Tesla doing the right thing.
Every single brand changes price monthly (through dealer rebate etc). But yeah, they communicate the discounts better internally, unlike Tesla.

I think Tesla is *insane* to not improve their customer service. I mean, what's the difference between all the people saying "love the car, hate the experience, tough to recommend" and if all those people were gushing to everyone they know "not only is it an amazing car, it was an amazing buying/delivery/service experience!" And a good part of that is having HQ and order systems and staff all on the same page at the same time.

And while it's true that traditional dealers adjust prices constantly, I have to agree that once you've been quoted a price and put down a deposit, it's a little too late for them to change the price on you. Even if it's an honest mistake, they need to own up to it, and learn not to make that mistake the next time. They can't just foist that one off on the customer and continue the same old bad habits.

I think Tesla is *insane* to not improve their customer service. I mean, what's the difference between all the people saying "love the car, hate the experience, tough to recommend" and if all those people were gushing to everyone they know "not only is it an amazing car, it was an amazing buying/delivery/service experience!" And a good part of that is having HQ and order systems and staff all on the same page at the same time.

And while it's true that traditional dealers adjust prices constantly, I have to agree that once you've been quoted a price and put down a deposit, it's a little too late for them to change the price on you. Even if it's an honest mistake, they need to own up to it, and learn not to make that mistake the next time. They can't just foist that one off on the customer and continue the same old bad habits.
You should complain very loudly. If you are a girl show a little tear

Every single brand changes price monthly (through dealer rebate etc). But yeah, they communicate the discounts better internally, unlike Tesla.

Fair point - others do have dealer rebates, etc - those are clearly advertised as a SALE or Promotional price. Tesla is not making the terms & conditions clear.

Tesla is not. Tesla is not making their pricing clear - so much so, that I spoke to 3 separate customer service employees - each gave a different answer regarding pricing.

It's pretty bad, if the people working for you - don't even know the correct pricing.

If Tesla employees can't figure out the pricing - how is it fair to customers?

I am not giving Tesla a free pass, simply because are poor communicators. Or are a young company. Those are cop-out excuses that do not address the actual issue.

They are running a business, taking peoples money - and they should operate as such.

I love my car. The customer service is terrible and Elon needs to address this. It starts at the top.