Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Not installing on Metal Tile Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me rephrase, if they would have installed on the metal roof, I probably would have gone with them to keep the business with Tesla. In the end, it worked out to my benefit, but at the expense of costing them business. I'd like to see Tesla get all the business!

Nufalm, any luck finding a solar installer for this type of roof? I have what appears to be the same in San Diego, I talked with Tesla and a few others in 2019 when I bought our house, and no luck finding anyone that would do an install. Roof is still in great shape, so I don't want to spend the money to replace just for solar. I think biggest issue is there is no plywood under tiles, similar to a shake roof where it just has 2-3" wood underneath for support.

Nufalm, any luck finding a solar installer for this type of roof? I have what appears to be the same in San Diego, I talked with Tesla and a few others in 2019 when I bought our house, and no luck finding anyone that would do an install. Roof is still in great shape, so I don't want to spend the money to replace just for solar. I think biggest issue is there is no plywood under tiles, similar to a shake roof where it just has 2-3" wood underneath for support.

This type of roof is OK for solar, just needs special attachments which costs a bit more.

Check a few of the smaller installers and see who will do it. As long as you have nails exposed on the face of the shingle(batten) its not too bad.

The ones with hidden nails under the upper course are a nightmare and require disassembly of the roof to the ridge to install PV.

I have a Cal-Pac / stone covered metal tile roof and I'm thinking of going so solar. The contractors I've spoken with have two approaches:
1. Lift roof, add plywood.
2. Tie directly to joists.

I have no idea which one is the correct approach. Anyone else in Silicon Valley run into this and find a contractor that did a good job?

Tesla refused to install on my PBR panel metal roof on my detached garage. Worked out for the best as I wanted a microinverter based system anyway, and the company I went with put on 200 amp disconnects/subpanel/meter box per my request. Tesla solar needs to get their act together.
You are so right. Metal is becoming the preferred roof in Florida for those who can afford it because of hurricanes. There are solar anchoring systems for metal roofs beside the standing seem anchor systems.

I tried to get an install quote last year and was told Tesla does not install on Metal roofs. I'm wondering if Metal Tile Roofs would be different?

Anyone has had Tesla install on their Metal Tile roof? Before I go in and get another quote?

attaching a photo of the roof
I have had solar installed on an identical looking Cal-PAC roof. The roofing is really durable, but it is not strong.
They are indeed a thin-gauge metal sheet, the front part is bent down to form a lip and give the appearance of a thick solid tile. Coated with small gravel. Sturdy enough to walk on, no problem.
I would have to say not "no problem". We had several get dented in the solar installation and the associated re-wiring. As the repair process is to slide an "L" shaped tool under the shingle and hammer it back into shape, I left it as is. I won't walk on it, as I tried one unobtrusive corner and yes, I put a dent in it.

Many solar installers won't install on galvanized roofing as the the wind rating is too low. Most corrugated roofs aren't installed over rafters with plywood. I wouldn't do it for maintenance reasons, as it would be quite difficult to check fastener tightness and adjust them or seal them under solar panels. A standing seam metal roof is a different story.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Vines