Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Now Charging for Streaming Music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh. I was just addressing the “If it’s free, he agrees” thing.

Absolutely. If it was clear cut that free connectivity ended after a certain date then that is what it is: just like free supercharging.

What I don’t agree with is the white knight pile-on party attempting to shame the OP for having just recently discovered this or saying “it’s only $10/mo, what are you broke?”

OP is complaining about not getting free internet. It takes 10 seconds to go on google and see why he is not grandfathered in. OP thinks because he has owned Tesla’s since 2013 he deserved to be rewarded. Where are people shaming him into not being able to afford $10?

If OP ever been in GM or Lexus etc dealership? To have your nav working or even just be able to remote start your car you have to pay 20-30 bucks per month. And nav updates 150-200 each year and still outdated? 10 bucks for live traffic, internet and Spotify seems reasonable to me.
Trial is longer than a year though for high end brands.

Trial is longer than a year though for high end brands.

It's sad how you keep white knighting for Lexus charging $200-300 a year for map updates when Tesla gives them for free for the life of the car :)

Seriously though-

"Well sure the trial is longer, but they charge you massively more when it's over!" isn't a really good argument you're making unless you don't tend to keep cars more than 2 or 3 years.

FWIW, for BMW the "connectivity" is 3 years, not 1 like tesla so if that counts as a "high end brand" (debatable, actually lol) I would have to agree with @ElectricIAC on this point.

However,

I feel like I get quite a bit more with my connectivity from tesla than I get from the connectivity on BMW, even though I have never had to pay for BMWs connectivity because I only lease them, new, so never run out of the "included" (not free) connectivity. @Knightshade is also correct that maps and traffic cost more from BMW at the end of the included period.

I dont mind paying tesla $120 a year for the connectivity because I feel like I get that much out of it. My tesla is a much nicer space to eat lunch in than my BMW, what with the fact I can run my AC and such without having the "engine" running, watch netflix, etc.

In my opinion, connectivity should come free with S and X vehicles due to the pricepoint.. and maybe the model 3P Model YP (debatable), but my main "complaint" was the OP saying, in effect "whats up with this new policy?" when its been in effect on contracts since late 2018.

It's sad how you keep white knighting for Lexus charging $200-300 a year for map updates when Tesla gives them for free for the life of the car :)

Seriously though-

"Well sure the trial is longer, but they charge you massively more when it's over!" isn't a really good argument you're making unless you don't tend to keep cars more than 2 or 3 years.
Who’s white knighting for Lexus? They’re woefully behind many other luxury brands in just about everything but overall reliability.

I’ve had luxury brands before, and I don’t miss any of them, so I totally disagree that Tesla is behind any of them.
If you feel that way, why did you buy one ?
You must have misread. I said Lexus is behind on innovation and pioneering..

Tesla wins largely on functionality but misses the boat on QC regarding fit and finish and customer experience (ridiculous wait times on the phone, unheard of queues for service calls for market segment)

Tesla wins largely on functionality but misses the boat on QC regarding fit and finish and customer experience (ridiculous wait times on the phone, unheard of queues for service calls for market segment)

Cool. So what does that have to do with premium connectivity?

i wish Tesla would allow you to download your spotify playlist for off line use, My phone can do this. $15 CAD/month is too expensive to stream music when i can just bluetooth but its a minor inconvenience, and i dont need those other features a data plan gives you.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

I didn’t misread it. :)

You stated:
“They’re woefully behind many other luxury brands in just about everything but overall reliability.”

Now you’re stating they only miss on QC and customer service. You’re just whining about Tesla again. I’m still not sure why you bought or still have one, when you’re clearly not a fan at all.
I mean you clearly feel the car’s only redeeming quality is reliability.

If I felt that way, I wouldn’t be throwing drama and complaints around about Tesla on this forum, I would just sell and depart.
Maybe you like the care more than your claiming. That would mean, you just like whining, and selling the car would end that...
Who knows.

I didn’t misread it. :)

You stated:
“They’re woefully behind many other luxury brands in just about everything but overall reliability.”

Now you’re stating they only miss on QC and customer service. You’re just whining about Tesla again. I’m still not sure why you bought or still have one, when you’re clearly not a fan at all.
I mean you clearly feel the car’s only redeeming quality is reliability.

If I felt that way, I wouldn’t be throwing drama and complaints around about Tesla on this forum, I would just sell and depart.
Maybe you like the care more than your claiming. That would mean, you just like whining, and selling the car would end that...
Who knows.
Not falling for the Kafka trap. Thanks.

Have a healthy day.

Who’s white knighting for Lexus?

You.

You are defending them charging hundreds a year for map updates because hey it's free initially... while in the same breath saying anybody defending Tesla charging only $120 a year for data (which is an ADDED, HIGHER charge with Lexus on TOP of map updates once your free trial is up)- and Tesla giving FREE map updates for life- is white knighting for Tesla.

Tesla is clearly well ahead of the other luxury brands on costs here over life of vehicle for data AND maps, so your white knighting lux brands by defending "longer trials" with much higher fees later just looks ridiculous- doubly so when you accuse those pointing these facts out of white knighting Tesla.