Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Now Offering Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has already been reported but Tesla now offers insurance in Oz. My new Model S arrives in a couple of weeks and I got a quote from Tesla Insurance today, (underwritten by QBE Insurance). They offer new replacement for 3 years from first registration and also cover the wall charger. Seems like a competitive price to. My quote on Model S 60 is $1650 base premium plus GST and Stamp Duty. That's for $1k Excess but includes windows without excess.

Seems pretty good to me! Anyone else got a better rate out there?

Not sure if this has already been reported but Tesla now offers insurance in Oz. My new Model S arrives in a couple of weeks and I got a quote from Tesla Insurance today, (underwritten by QBE Insurance). They offer new replacement for 3 years from first registration and also cover the wall charger. Seems like a competitive price to. My quote on Model S 60 is $1650 base premium plus GST and Stamp Duty. That's for $1k Excess but includes windows without excess.

Seems pretty good to me! Anyone else got a better rate out there?
Includes 2 years new replacement.

Attachments

• YOUI.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 175
Well Youi got back to me and have said they won't insure it! Couldn't give me a good explanation aside from that they don't have the 60 listed and can't underwrite it, (even though they have insured other Teslas.) guy said he didn't want to waste my time further which really meant he was feeling awkward and didn't want to talk about it anymore. Looks like I will pull my other vehicle from Youi now also.

Reasonably priced, yes. Lots I called for quotes 6 months ago didn't even know what Tesla was. I think they're cottoning on now though. I managed to get a good rate ($1,200) with RACV + windscreen option, albeit with $2K excess but I was happy with that.

Is $1200 an annual rate or for 6 months (typical quote period in the States)?
I find Teslas entre into insurance baffling.....hopefully they have a much larger and experienced company actually underwriting/taking the risk.

Is $1200 an annual rate or for 6 months (typical quote period in the States)?
I find Teslas entre into insurance baffling.....hopefully they have a much larger and experienced company actually underwriting/taking the risk.
The quotes are 12 months and yes it's all under written by QBE who are a large insurer. Seems that the focus is on the vehicle and they're not all that interested in who the driver is. Infact they said to me that the driver details are purely for data and nothing to do with the actual quoting which is unusual in my experience.

The quotes are 12 months and yes it's all under written by QBE who are a large insurer. Seems that the focus is on the vehicle and they're not all that interested in who the driver is. Infact they said to me that the driver details are purely for data and nothing to do with the actual quoting which is unusual in my experience.

Your rate is reasonable, but all these negative headlines, investigations, crashes and idiot antics are bound to hurt all of us, regardless of driving records. The semi auto technology scares them as well as provides a convenient excuse to increase premiums. Repair costs are quite high due to Teslas tight control and more Teslas are hitting the road. While I'd normally expect a new car premium to drop or hold flat as time progressed, this may change. Hopefully, I'm wrong. FWIW, I pay ~$350 more per year than you, with a flawless record.

Reactions: Xwing
RACV was cheaper by a long mile (with like for like feature, read the fine print)....RACV exist as different acronyms all over Australia....

Trying to work out if Telsa Insurance is closer to RACV Comprehensive or Complete. It looks like Tesla Insurance has limited insurance against things like theft of luggage, and emergency accommodation (read the exclusions carefully - these look a bit like gimmicks to me) and towing like the Complete package, but not some things like Taxi fares. So probably somewhere between the two.

For me, based on the same excess of $1000, the online quote I get for RACV Comprehensive is about $400 less then Tesla, and Complete is almost $100 more. However the Tesla quote includes things like new for old replacement for three years and any driver. Which I suspect might be worth the $400 additional per year.

Also with an excess of $1000, the Tesla insurance including the wall charger seems like a bit of a gimmick, not sure how much a new wall charger costs, but find it hard to believe costs of repairing one would be much more then $1000.