Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think you will see any peak demand reduction, APS peak period is 3pm - 8pm and your solar pretty much stops producing by 4pm in the winter. Peak demand is your highest 1 hour of use so cutting demand from 3pm - 5pm doesn't help your demand during the other 3 1 hr periods.

I am on the same APS rate plan as you and also use Hubitat and smart thermostats to control my peak demand, without a PowerWall I don't think solar is at all effective in peak shaving in Arizona other than possibly giving you an extra hour in the summer (3-4pm) where you can run your AC without drawing from the grid and without some smarts to monitor solar output you run the risk of a cloudy day cutting 3-4pm output and your AC still running and driving up your peak demand charge.

Solar in the summer should allow me to pre-cool my house later into the peak period (I'm hoping to be able to run it until somewhere around 5pm), then shut the A/C off for the remainder of the peak period. Trying to go without A/C from 3-8pm in the summer is a non-starter, but I think from 5-8pm may be doable if I can get the inside temp down to upper 60s or so. I started doing this late summer last year (highs near 100) and it was tolerable with inside temps near 80 by 8pm, but I can't see it working for the full 5 hour period when it's 115 outside unless solar adds a couple hours to the A/C run time.

That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it works in practice. In the winter I'm not running the A/C and we try to be conscious not to run more than one appliance at a time to keep the peak down. I've accepted that I'm going to get hit with a 3-4kw peak charge each month, but would like to limit it to that. I had a month or two last summer where I peaked at 9kw, that was expensive.

I use Hubitat too. Are you monitoring panel output with Hubitat? I need to figure out how to do that. If I can't figure it out I think getting lux value from a weather site could work, but I'd prefer to monitor directly.

Last edited:
So it looks like Tesla has changed some terms on the subscription model, and it is now not a $1500 flat fee to remove the panels. From the agreement:
System Removal. If the System needs to be removed for any reason, such as your cancellation or for roof repairs, you agree to give Tesla reasonable access to your Home to remove the System at Tesla’s convenience and availability.
Tesla will provide you with a competitive quote to complete the removal upon your request to [email protected]. Tesla, or one of our subcontractors, will patch and seal all roof penetrations associated with removal of the System. Tesla shall have no obligation to repair any ordinary wear and tear on the Home, or to provide any replacement parts. As an alternative, you may choose to have a similarly qualified service provider remove the System from your Home at your expense. If the System is damaged as a result of the removal, you may be responsible for all costs to repair or replace the System. You may not modify or remove the System without written consent from Tesla

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
So it looks like Tesla has changed some terms on the subscription model, and it is now not a $1500 flat fee to remove the panels. From the agreement:
System Removal. If the System needs to be removed for any reason, such as your cancellation or for roof repairs, you agree to give Tesla reasonable access to your Home to remove the System at Tesla’s convenience and availability.
Tesla will provide you with a competitive quote to complete the removal upon your request to [email protected]. Tesla, or one of our subcontractors, will patch and seal all roof penetrations associated with removal of the System. Tesla shall have no obligation to repair any ordinary wear and tear on the Home, or to provide any replacement parts. As an alternative, you may choose to have a similarly qualified service provider remove the System from your Home at your expense. If the System is damaged as a result of the removal, you may be responsible for all costs to repair or replace the System. You may not modify or remove the System without written consent from Tesla

Not surprised...I figured it was only a matter of time before the "free removal" would disappear.

Not surprised...I figured it was only a matter of time before the "free removal" would disappear.

how does your APS app look? For a few days I was able to see bars on the graph but now it just shows me this?
361C725C-D66E-4DE2-8287-BA26213C81DF.png

how does your APS app look? For a few days I was able to see bars on the graph but now it just shows me this? View attachment 508914

Same here. They must have introduced a bug in the app, nothing loads right. Even consumption (Energy from APS) loads wrong when changing days, I have to toggle to Energy to APS then back to Energy from APS to make it show correctly.

Same here. They must have introduced a bug in the app, nothing loads right. Even consumption (Energy from APS) loads wrong when changing days, I have to toggle to Energy to APS then back to Energy from APS to make it show correctly.

Interesting, I'm on SRP, and starting about a week ago my online bill is not showing some data, and other data is completely wrong for each day's view. I wonder if the same company is providing the underlying software/architecture for both APS and SRP online billing

Interesting, I'm on SRP, and starting about a week ago my online bill is not showing some data, and other data is completely wrong for each day's view. I wonder if the same company is providing the underlying software/architecture for both APS and SRP online billing

Actually, I just logged in for the first time a few days (since it was useless for while), but now SRP has apparently fixed the data, including for the past week when it was missing - so I guess SRP fixed their problem.

Reactions: destructure00