Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got the layout back from Tesla, what are your guys' thoughts on not only placement but also hard product (panels, inverters)?

View attachment 455547 View attachment 455548 View attachment 455549 View attachment 455550

same as mine and I'm in your zip. But they said no to free wall charger or SC miles since it's a rental :(. This doesn't make sense since Tesla still gets the tax credits

So I might hold off since there was my major perk to make the leap.

Buying solar in the US blows. Right now you can either deal with pushy salespeople in your living room or you can buy these new off-the-shelf products from Tesla.

Never experienced that. When we got solar for ourselves and our parents, just a handful of calls to local installers asking for quotes on specific sized systems and components was all that was needed. No one requiring to come out and do any song and dance. Got the best price (they would still be cheaper than Tesla right now with similar components).

same as mine and I'm in your zip. But they said no to free wall charger or SC miles since it's a rental :(. This doesn't make sense since Tesla still gets the tax credits

Ah I saw a couple people saying they got the wall charger and such, but never for rentals which I agree with you. I personally don’t have a Tesla (yet, unfortunately) but find value currently in going this route. I feel it would be smart if they did that for rental customers if it’s such a big push to close sales regardless if rental or not.

Reactions: vickh
Solar panels produce electricity and have guaranteed rates of efficiency over time. They don't get "out dated".

I just put 330W panels on my roof knowing that 360W or 400W panels may be available in 2-5 years, but for a massive premium. So what? Panel tech always improves, but we've already made the vast majority of improvements on efficiency for PV.

That's like saying I just leased a new i7 PC and it is as good as it gets and I don't care about getting a new PC. Well guess what in 5 years you will want a new PC but you signed a 20 years lease to keep that old PC until it is dead. Yes, the new panels will cost more but they will come down and with a rental you will be able to say in 5 years get that crap off my roof I want new technology. With a lease or even a purchase you are stuck. Like it or not.

I did the rental and used my own referral and it showed up in my treasure box. I should get the credits once they finally install it.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I have done some math, I think it’s right:
Ignoring my Model 3 charging on dedicated meter...
1,500 sq ft home
35 kWh per day average for full year (between 15-60 kWh per day)
Last years SCE bill $1,800 for my house
Projected cost for one year rental for 7.5 kW system is $1,560 ($130 x 12)
+ usage charge from SCE since I won’t have Powerwall is $500 (I looked at three examples and calculated my new TOU grid feed or pull by hour and extrapolated for the year)
New cost $2,060
So it will cost me $500 more per year and I have the risk that the system fails then I get destroyed for peak usage without solar.

Seems like even with the zero installation and zero removal fee I will still lose money. This is disappointing. I may still do it for environmental reasons but not financial.

I hear you. I've been slicing and dissecting the benefit to go solar. I've come to a conclusion that it will take 10 years for ROI.
The sneaky aspect is no one can tell me how much TOI rates are when draw from grid during the night time. Let's not forget about connection fee and administrative fees.

Let say you produce 20 kilowatt a day. You use only 10 kilowatt during the day and the other 10 kilowatt are banked as credit. Comes night time you pull from the grid. The based on TOU rate is higher pulling from the grid than credit you have produced. Your credits does not equate to the same rate as the rate they charge you for charging at night. They give you pennies per kilowatt feeding back to the grid during the day. In addition, you have to paid for a minimum administrative fee. It could be 6 dollars per month or up to $25 dollars. Even if you go on vacation for a month and draw little to no juice, all the energy you supply to the grid. You still pay the connection fees. Again, it could be 6 dollars or up to 25 dollars per months.

I hear you. I've been slicing and dissecting the benefit to go solar. I've come to a conclusion that it will take 10 years for ROI.
The sneaky aspect is no one can tell me how much TOI rates are when draw from grid during the night time. Let's not forget about connection fee and administrative fees.

Let say you produce 20 kilowatt a day. You use only 10 kilowatt during the day and the other 10 kilowatt are banked as credit. Comes night time you pull from the grid. The based on TOU rate is higher pulling from the grid than credit you have produced. Your credits does not equate to the same rate as the rate they charge you for charging at night. They give you pennies per kilowatt feeding back to the grid during the day. In addition, you have to paid for a minimum administrative fee. It could be 6 dollars per month or up to $25 dollars. Even if you go on vacation for a month and draw little to no juice, all the energy you supply to the grid. You still pay the connection fees. Again, it could be 6 dollars or up to 25 dollars per months.
My TOU rates are published on SoCal Edison website. For TOU-Prime it is $0.13 per kWh except my peak usage even with solar 4-8pm when it is $0.38. You are exactly right, TOU plans penalize solar generators by paying a low rate when generating and a high rate when consuming the most. It’s backwards! At least in CA it’s likely due to the large amount of grid solar, which is cheap. And then there are the fixed fees, for me about $25 per month.

My TOU rates are published on SoCal Edison website. For TOU-Prime it is $0.13 per kWh except my peak usage even with solar 4-8pm when it is $0.38. You are exactly right, TOU plans penalize solar generators by paying a low rate when generating and a high rate when consuming the most. It’s backwards! At least in CA it’s likely due to the large amount of grid solar, which is cheap. And then there are the fixed fees, for me about $25 per month.

Hey BM3B,

I know they automatic switch you to TOU rate once you go solar.
I am with SCE also, are you saying you are currently on TOU Prime .13 off peak and .38 peak.
That's better than my current TOU-SDP (TOU with summer discount progarm), at .13, .24. .48 cents rate.
I can see some saving by that connection fees just kill that.

Hey BM3B,

I know they automatic switch you to TOU rate once you go solar.
I am with SCE also, are you saying you are currently on TOU Prime .13 off peak and .38 peak.
That's better than my current TOU-SDP (TOU with summer discount progarm), at .13, .24. .48 cents rate.
I can see some saving by that connection fees just kill that.
I am currently on Tiered pricing for my house and the old grandfathered TOU-EV1 for my EV chargers. I don’t want to switch to TOU unless I have at least 7 kW of solar, but my available roof isn’t big enough (skylights causing problems)

You are correct about the TOU and the rate you get back from the utility is lower then what you pay the utility but if you have enough sunny days like here in CA you will rack up such a huge buffer that you should be fine. The only time this is a problem is when the utility resets your credits at the end of the year (winter time) and it is when you need those credits the most due to the lack of sun. I expect to pay for some power in the first few months of the year until I can build credits again. Overall I still believe you can save money with solar and as utilities raise rates you will save even more money.

I tried ordeing the size large but was told my house efficiency could only do a size small. I don't under all this stuff sir was like whatever. My roof can handle the size large panels so i don't under why a small would work but not a large

I tried ordeing the size large but was told my house efficiency could only do a size small. I don't under all this stuff sir was like whatever. My roof can handle the size large panels so i don't under why a small would work but not a large

What exactly did they say?

Go to project sunroof and see how much space you really have and if that space is in an efficient location.

A large system is 36 panels which is a lot of real estate. Just because you have enough space on your roof doesn't mean those locations for panels are ideal for energy production.

Do you have a lot of trees around your house? Last year when we started the process of getting solar, Tesla originally told us we could only get about 9 kW due to a large tree. The tree was half dead so we had it cut down. Tesla did another site visit and confirmed we could increase the solar system to 16.5 kW since there was no longer any shade on the roof.

As @rhaekar mentioned, try checking your address on Project Sunroof and see what it shows for your roof

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Update:

Deposit Date: 9/4/19

I found out a week ago its estimated to take 8 weeks for my electric company (UI) to approve my install. Until then Tesla won't give me a date for an install.

Then a few days later I got an email from UI saying my interconnection application was incorrect and they disapproved the application. Turns out Tesla incorrectly marked my property as a new build and indicated it doesn't currently have electric service.

I called my advisor and got a message "The Tesla # you have called is no longer in service".

I called the main # and found out he had left the company. The next day I had a new advisor and she tells me the issue with the interconnection app is now fixed.

The waiting continues...

Has anyone got their Tesla Solar Subscription installed yet? Mine will be installed next Friday. Can't wait for the free power (minus the monthly fee of course). My last power bill was over a $500 for a month. I know I will be saving money with this rental (subscription).

Reactions: willow_hiller
Has anyone got their Tesla Solar Subscription installed yet? Mine will be installed next Friday. Can't wait for the free power (minus the monthly fee of course). My last power bill was over a $500 for a month. I know I will be saving money with this rental (subscription).

I had mine installed two weeks ago. Still waiting on city inspection and then PG&E to give permission to operate.