Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
today was installation day. very nice, organized group. 7.56kw medium rental for Ct. looking forward to printing money as Mr Musk said the rental deal would be. waiting on inspection and whatever else is needed to fire this thing up.

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_tesla solar 095644860_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191227_tesla solar 095644860_HDR.jpg
    728.9 KB · Views: 95
I also had my Large(11.34kw)rental installed yesterday and finished today in Connecticut. It’s been a long road starting this process in August and finally getting installed, not all delays due to Tesla. I had to trim a few trees to get approved for the large as they originally approved me for a small due to the shading. Now I have to wait for the inspection on Monday, hopefully PTO isn’t long after that.
6DB1BA0E-0CC3-4CC8-8EC8-968C511143A4.jpeg
60D1788D-852F-4B1B-8395-CBAF5EB64B13.jpeg

I also had my Large(11.34kw)rental installed yesterday and finished today in Connecticut. It’s been a long road starting this process in August and finally getting installed, not all delays due to Tesla. I had to trim a few trees to get approved for the large as they originally approved me for a small due to the shading. Now I have to wait for the inspection on Monday, hopefully PTO isn’t long after that.
View attachment 493544 View attachment 493545

nice, so at least two Tesla teams in Ct today. i wanted the larger setup also, but they told me the shading issue meant i could only do the medium size and i just rolled with them. i'm hoping to purchase a power wall in early 2020 for backup.

nice, so at least two Tesla teams in Ct today. i wanted the larger setup also, but they told me the shading issue meant i could only do the medium size and i just rolled with them. i'm hoping to purchase a power wall in early 2020 for backup.
Yea, I did have a smaller crew today, only 3 guys compared to the 5 that were here yesterday. I guess the past two weeks they were out in California helping install systems out there since the demand is crazy high, and crappy icy/snowy weather here those weeks. My house came with a whole house generator and the 3 yrs we’ve been here lost power maybe 4 times.

Tesla finally submitted the installer checklist and city clearances, and APS got around to approving them a week or so later.

Initial rental application - 9/5
Install - 11/26
Main breaker derate / city final - 12/11
Tesla submitted installer checklist/city final - 12/23
APS approved documents/changed to "meter set ready" - 1/2
APS meter install date - TBD (10 business days from APS approval date)

APS approved my documentation Friday 1/3, email says that meter should be installed within 10 days. Hoping to be up and running this week sometime.

I put my deposit down 8/25, but we lost several weeks going back and forth about replacing my main panel vs downsizing the system.

8/25 - deposit/ordered Large system
9/24 - informed that I would need a main panel replacement and derate for the Large system
9/24 - 11/19 several frustrating weeks of back-and-forth about derating vs downsizing system (they never offered to downsize, I had to research the reason for panel replacement and inquire about downsizing as an alternative), assigned new rep, had to re-explain everything, finally was able to talk to someone in engineering/design who said downsizing would work to avoid replacing panel

11/19 - order formally changed from Large to Medium system
12/11 - installation (could not complete testing due to finishing after sunset)
12/14 - tested and "completed" installation
12/19 - passed city inspection
1/3 - APS documentation approval

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTalkingMule
Just for reference....if a German homeowner decided they wanted solar on 8/25 back in 2011 and put down a deposit, they'd have been installed and interconnected by 8/31 with a set rate of grid payback for 20 years.

Tesla can do a better job of keeping the onboarding and install process moving, but most delays are rooted corrupt utilities or state/local govt's. Germany legislated that the entire permitting/interconnect application must fit on one piece of paper.

We in the US can do better and need new FERC rules to get residential solar out of the Wild West. We as voters should demand this, especially at the local level.

APS approved my documentation Friday 1/3, email says that meter should be installed within 10 days. Hoping to be up and running this week sometime.

I put my deposit down 8/25, but we lost several weeks going back and forth about replacing my main panel vs downsizing the system.

8/25 - deposit/ordered Large system
9/24 - informed that I would need a main panel replacement and derate for the Large system
9/24 - 11/19 several frustrating weeks of back-and-forth about derating vs downsizing system (they never offered to downsize, I had to research the reason for panel replacement and inquire about downsizing as an alternative), assigned new rep, had to re-explain everything, finally was able to talk to someone in engineering/design who said downsizing would work to avoid replacing panel

11/19 - order formally changed from Large to Medium system
12/11 - installation (could not complete testing due to finishing after sunset)
12/14 - tested and "completed" installation
12/19 - passed city inspection
1/3 - APS documentation approval

you get PTO yet?

I got impatient and called APS just now, they told me that they are behind and my meter install is scheduled for the 23rd.

Literally how funny, I just got off of a heated conversation (although speaking nicely to the person cause it's not her fault) about how when I was building this house, I was able to have a meter installed in 36 hours but when requesting a bidirectional meter, it ends up being 15-25 additional days. I got nowhere with that conversation (shock) and resorted to Twitter, where they just told me the same thing for the 23rd haha.

I don't want to come off entitled, but clearly these public utilities are unfairly making people wait in the name of being behind.

Literally how funny, I just got off of a heated conversation (although speaking nicely to the person cause it's not her fault) about how when I was building this house, I was able to have a meter installed in 36 hours but when requesting a bidirectional meter, it ends up being 15-25 additional days. I got nowhere with that conversation (shock) and resorted to Twitter, where they just told me the same thing for the 23rd haha.

I don't want to come off entitled, but clearly these public utilities are unfairly making people wait in the name of being behind.
When we were waiting for PTO, our utility used every single minute that they were allowed. Basically we were installed at the end of July and they took nearly two months to install a meter. On the last business day, they showed up at 4:45 pm and installed two meters in about 15 minutes. We missed out on two months of solar production going to the grid. We didn't have any meter during those two months so they just charged us an estimated amount for nearly 3 months. The Uber driver in our the household may or may not have binged on charging those two months. ;)

It's pathetic that the inspection was done the same day that installation was finished and the utility couldn't find 15 minutes in two months to install a meter. :mad: Shame. Shame. Shame.

Gateway still says No Signal though. Gotta figure that one out I guess.
Tesla waits for the official PTO email from the utility company and usually doesn't turn things on with just a PTO tag. You can try contacting Tesla to tell them you received PTO but they will likely say they haven't received official notification yet.

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00