Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a couple weeks ago my facelift 2016 Model S greeted me one morning with a black MCU screen. The car still started and ran, but no HVAC controls or radio or blinkers as far as I could tell.

So I immediately made an appointment through the app for service and the car has been down there for one week today. My car is just a few hundred miles out of warranty so I figured my only options were full MCU1 replacement or what they call now the infotainment MCU2 upgrade. Come to find out that because my car doesn’t have a power lift gate that the infotainment upgrade is not an option as of now.

So I just got off the phone with Tesla service here in Reno and they tell me they are now replacing the Tegra card and that my total in parts and labor for repair of the MCU1 is $490. I glanced at the estimate and it looks like the Tegra card is $120 part and the rest is labor and diagnostic fee. It seems pretty palatable since I thought I was going to be in at $1000 or more for a repair.

Just thought I would relay my experience for the benefit of others. Also they told me that part could be a week or two away.

Good news.

This seemed like the obvious solution to me, fixing the eMMCs in house or through a third party and not replacing the entire MCU, particularly now that they've got a pile of spares from all the infotainment upgrades.

I suspect this will be the eventual "fix" offered for MCU failures if the NHTSA investigation leads to such a requirement or settlement.

Do you know if the new refurbished Tegra boards still have the original undersized eMMC chip or have they replaced it with a larger one?

I have to imagine if they're going through the trouble they're replacing it with a more robust part. The cost of the part is a pittance compared to the labor.

It would seem completely nonsensical to go through the effort and replace it with another copy of a known faulty part. But who really knows, because Tesla.

surprised it took Tesla this long to do instead of replacing entire MCU. Wonder if one can proactively purchase the upgraded Tegra board and self install?
I'm not surprised. Wonder how they plan to deploy this solution at the Service Center level. I'm a bit sacred given how bad they are at basic plug-n-play replacement parts. No possible way they get something as technical as this right.

I'm not surprised. Wonder how they plan to deploy this solution at the Service Center level. I'm a bit sacred given how bad they are at basic plug-n-play replacement parts. No possible way they get something as technical as this right.

They don't seem to have any problem replacing other daughtercards/items. (LTE, GPS, displays, etc.) It isn't a technical/complicated procedure. (Shoot people that have never worked on a car before seem to be able to do it to send their board in to third parties.)

If you watch the videos to send it to a third party upgrader it actually is just a plug and play so of course they will screw it up occasionally.

I have to imagine if they're going through the trouble they're replacing it with a more robust part. The cost of the part is a pittance compared to the labor.

It would seem completely nonsensical to go through the effort and replace it with another copy of a known faulty part. But who really knows, because Tesla.
For a typical auto manufacturer substituting a part would not be trivial, as the new design would have to go through an appropriate change management process and require re-validation (software and hardware). This being Tesla however, which has been rumored to have shipped cars with cables obtained from a local Fry's whenever they ran out, you never know. However, even though customers comprise a large part of Tesla QA strategy, Tesla would still have to fix any problems which might arise from using a new part, which costs money of course. They know the old part lasted 2-5 years, with software logging fixes they can expect longer, so they might not have any incentive to change at all - "devil you know" type situation.

Last edited:
Reading and writing the data cannot be done remotely. The 3rd party guys have special tools to access the proper points on the Tegra board.
I do hope Tesla is using a current (and much larger) eMMC chip on these.
Service Centers may have a station that tge entire board plugs into for the programming.

So a couple weeks ago my facelift 2016 Model S greeted me one morning with a black MCU screen. The car still started and ran, but no HVAC controls or radio or blinkers as far as I could tell.

So I immediately made an appointment through the app for service and the car has been down there for one week today. My car is just a few hundred miles out of warranty so I figured my only options were full MCU1 replacement or what they call now the infotainment MCU2 upgrade. Come to find out that because my car doesn’t have a power lift gate that the infotainment upgrade is not an option as of now.

So I just got off the phone with Tesla service here in Reno and they tell me they are now replacing the Tegra card and that my total in parts and labor for repair of the MCU1 is $490. I glanced at the estimate and it looks like the Tegra card is $120 part and the rest is labor and diagnostic fee. It seems pretty palatable since I thought I was going to be in at $1000 or more for a repair.

Just thought I would relay my experience for the benefit of others. Also they told me that part could be a week or two away.

will you post your invoice once you pick up your car so we can see what they did? Good info for those of us with older cars.