TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

Discussion in 'Model S' started by michaelrap, Aug 10, 2020.

1. michaelrap

michaelrap Member

So a couple weeks ago my facelift 2016 Model S greeted me one morning with a black MCU screen. The car still started and ran, but no HVAC controls or radio or blinkers as far as I could tell.

So I immediately made an appointment through the app for service and the car has been down there for one week today. My car is just a few hundred miles out of warranty so I figured my only options were full MCU1 replacement or what they call now the infotainment MCU2 upgrade. Come to find out that because my car doesn’t have a power lift gate that the infotainment upgrade is not an option as of now.

So I just got off the phone with Tesla service here in Reno and they tell me they are now replacing the Tegra card and that my total in parts and labor for repair of the MCU1 is $490. I glanced at the estimate and it looks like the Tegra card is $120 part and the rest is labor and diagnostic fee. It seems pretty palatable since I thought I was going to be in at $1000 or more for a repair.

Just thought I would relay my experience for the benefit of others. Also they told me that part could be a week or two away.

• Informative x 43
    • Like x 12
    • Helpful x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Good news.

This seemed like the obvious solution to me, fixing the eMMCs in house or through a third party and not replacing the entire MCU, particularly now that they've got a pile of spares from all the infotainment upgrades.

I suspect this will be the eventual "fix" offered for MCU failures if the NHTSA investigation leads to such a requirement or settlement.

• Like x 4
  3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I wonder if they would do the 3G to LTE upgrade for another ~$120 (the cost of the parts) since they will already being doing most of the labor with the Tegra board replacement.

• Like x 3
  4. BigNick

BigNick Disaffected Member

Do you know if the new refurbished Tegra boards still have the original undersized eMMC chip or have they replaced it with a larger one?

• Informative x 3
  5. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

I have to imagine if they're going through the trouble they're replacing it with a more robust part. The cost of the part is a pittance compared to the labor.

It would seem completely nonsensical to go through the effort and replace it with another copy of a known faulty part. But who really knows, because Tesla.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  6. tga

tga Supporting Member

A friend's 2016 X got towed for a dead MCU. I'm curious to see what his paperwork says.

7. odguy

odguy Member

surprised it took Tesla this long to do instead of replacing entire MCU. Wonder if one can proactively purchase the upgraded Tegra board and self install?

8. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

I'm not surprised. Wonder how they plan to deploy this solution at the Service Center level. I'm a bit sacred given how bad they are at basic plug-n-play replacement parts. No possible way they get something as technical as this right.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  9. MP3Mike

Doubtful because it require programming.

10. MP3Mike

They don't seem to have any problem replacing other daughtercards/items. (LTE, GPS, displays, etc.) It isn't a technical/complicated procedure. (Shoot people that have never worked on a car before seem to be able to do it to send their board in to third parties.)

• Love x 3
  11. odguy

odguy Member

On a technical level they can program the chip remotely no? They should have the certificates etc.

12. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

If you watch the videos to send it to a third party upgrader it actually is just a plug and play so of course they will screw it up occasionally.

13. MP3Mike

I don't know if initial configuration can be done remotely or if it has to be done via the diagnostics port.

14. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

#14 whitex, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    For a typical auto manufacturer substituting a part would not be trivial, as the new design would have to go through an appropriate change management process and require re-validation (software and hardware). This being Tesla however, which has been rumored to have shipped cars with cables obtained from a local Fry's whenever they ran out, you never know. However, even though customers comprise a large part of Tesla QA strategy, Tesla would still have to fix any problems which might arise from using a new part, which costs money of course. They know the old part lasted 2-5 years, with software logging fixes they can expect longer, so they might not have any incentive to change at all - "devil you know" type situation.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. DJRas

DJRas Supporting Member

Reading and writing the data cannot be done remotely. The 3rd party guys have special tools to access the proper points on the Tegra board.
    I do hope Tesla is using a current (and much larger) eMMC chip on these.
    Service Centers may have a station that tge entire board plugs into for the programming.

16. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Active Member

will you post your invoice once you pick up your car so we can see what they did? Good info for those of us with older cars.

• Like x 3
  17. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Anyone know what warranty Tesla gives for this $500 replacement?

18. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I've been having constant bluetooth issues, navigation failures, and restarts. After a log review my mobile service got cancelled in favor of a SC visit. I also got a notice that parts were ordered for my car:

MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED
    Part #: 2728211-S0-A

I assume this is one of the refurbished Tegra cards mentioned above.

• Informative x 8
  19. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

Incorrect wheels.

• Funny x 1
  20. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

Lets see if 3rd parties start dropping their prices.

• Like x 1