Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At times, lowering the volume on the radio takes 15-20s before it's executed. Sooo ridiculous to see on a car in this price-range. People would have been fired if this would ever have happened on a Beemer or Merc. Period.
A total embarrassment a software team would think that is acceptable (yes I've seen this myself though more like 5 seconds delay). I can't believe the software has bloated so much that the MCU can't even service a volume change request.

Reactions: cicob
A total embarrassment a software team would think that is acceptable (yes I've seen this myself though more like 5 seconds delay). I can't believe the software has bloated so much that the MCU can't even service a volume change request.

I think it’s “simply” a chip failure. In quotes because it still shouldn’t happen. But people have replaced their EMC chips and back to reasonable operation.

my E46 bmw radio head unit stopped working and that cost me a fortune too.

As I mentioned in the other thread my P85+ was scheduled to have the daughter board replaced on Monday. When I asked if that would solve the issues since the car is a ‘13 the SC replied that they would instead order and replace the MCU.

I am hearing conflicting stories about it. Some say they have had the chip replaced and haven’t experienced any problems but others say they have. At this point since the car is under warranty and they are offering to replace the MCU I am thinking I should stick with that.

My car is older than yours, and they sent a Ranger to my house to replace the Tegra daughterboard. After the daughterboard replacement the center touchscreen wouldn't illuminate. The poor guy struggled with it for 4 hours before giving up and telling me that the Tesla people back at home base were remoting into it to update firmware, which would fix the problem.

They eventually gave up too, and decided to replace the full MCU. A Ranger returned today and successfully replaced the full MCU along with a new touchscreen. All is back to normal, but it took 11 weeks to go through the entire fiasco! 11 weeks !!

It's nice to have my car back though, with working AC, turn signals, and radio.

Glad to hear you have your car back and working....finally...!

BUT Damn....I have a 2013 as well. Very sad to hear the less expensive Tegra daughterboard replacement isn't going to be an option for early cars...!

Anyone in Oregon do the emmc chip swap?!

We don't know yet if the Tegra daughterboard is going to NOT be an option for early '12-14 S. Give them time. Remember please, the Tegra board only replacement is relatively new. Give them time to work out what the hiccup is. I am confident they are working on it and will find it. No, no one knows when. But maybe soon, and before many more are needed. Keep the faith.

We don't know yet if the Tegra daughterboard is going to NOT be an option for early '12-14 S. Give them time. Remember please, the Tegra board only replacement is relatively new. Give them time to work out what the hiccup is. I am confident they are working on it and will find it. No, no one knows when. But maybe soon, and before many more are needed. Keep the faith.

Yep. Someone posted that there are two different Tegra board part numbers now, so that issue might already be resolved.

Reactions: Akikiki
My MCU just went black today. Exactly 1 week after my 4 years warranty expired. So bummed. Does Tesla take into account all of the time my vehicle has been sitting at the service center (probably at least 3 months worth) and extend my warranty for that amount of time? I just need 2 extra weeks of warranty. Unfortunately I also have pin to drive so now I can't even drive my car to the service center but have to get it towed in at my expense.

Officially, I think you already know the answer. But they might treat you well under goodwill. However what sits your situation apart from thousand of those black MCUs in the last two years? I think you know that answer too. Sorry. Four years warranty just expired? That means yours is a 2016? 2016's can be fixed with Tegra board replacements of which the repairs are running less than $500. So, that may be the only good news that can be shared. Good luck.

Completely failing right after warranty is a reminder to folks to put in a complaint about MCU issues early, at the first signs of EMMC snags.. don't wait until it goes black

I put a complaint in at my last appointment right before I hit 50k miles. I realized it disappeared from the app when I got there. Asked the clown and he said oh they checked it remotely your're good. I showed him videos and pictures of it freezing and crashing and he said oh just double wheel reboot that youre good. When I got the car back for HW3 and AC repair magically my original complaints about the MCU were not even on the invoice. I'll let you figure out why they did that

Maybe he's dis-ing you because he's one of those folks that doesn't like to be referred to as a clown? Just sayin'. Your word, not me putting words in your mouth. Tesla employees read these forums. - Even though they don't post, it does not mean they don't see what you write. Ever heard "Say it Forget it. Write it Regret it. ?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Maybe he's dis-ing you because he's one of those folks that doesn't like to be referred to as a clown? Just sayin'. Your word, not me putting words in your mouth. Tesla employees read these forums. - Even though they don't post, it does not mean they don't see what you write. Ever heard "Say it Forget it. Write it Regret it. ?

Customer service issues should not be erased from the invoice... very disappointing and shady on the part of Tesla.

Reactions: aerodyne
My MCU just went black today. Exactly 1 week after my 4 years warranty expired. So bummed. Does Tesla take into account all of the time my vehicle has been sitting at the service center (probably at least 3 months worth) and extend my warranty for that amount of time? I just need 2 extra weeks of warranty. Unfortunately I also have pin to drive so now I can't even drive my car to the service center but have to get it towed in at my expense.

This is wild guess but did you try to enable driving from the app? I think that overrides Pin to drive.