Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2012 and was quoted $337.35 for next week at Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles SC.

I hope it works for 2012 model. Has anyone else with an early model had success with this?

View attachment 597617

I have nothing to add regarding the early models, but my 2017 is getting a part number that ends in B vs your A. No idea what the difference there is, but just wanted to give you a datapoint to compare to as you look for other people who have had this done.

So it appears they don't reuse the screws that hold the dashboard together or the Tegra card into the MCU? Not that $2.85 is a big deal these days.
I wonder if that "W/PATCH" designation on the screws indicates they have some kind of adhesive/threadlocker/rubberystuff to keep them from vibrating loose?
Beats the full MCU replacement price by a ton.

Good catch. I wonder how fast the new MCU1 is compared to the MCU2 upgrade?

Will the new MCU1 run Tesla Waze on the browser without freezing?

Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information

Just in the way of an update to my earlier post - my appointment ended up being cancelled by Tesla after some discussion about whether or not they were prepared to change the eMMC.

(My earlier post is here - Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500 )

The draft invoice made no sense and didn't reflect my earlier conversation with the service agent, so I was grateful they called again to clarify what would happen. After again pushing either the MCU2 or reconditioned MCU1 option as a better solution for me they seemed hesitant about whether or not they would be prepared to commit to doing the eMMC upgrade, despite me requesting that in the first place and being ready to pay for it. They said that they would need to test (at my cost) to confirm the eMMC was already dead/dying and wouldn't be changing it if it was still functional.

The reason for this changed stance is apparently because 'the parts are in short supply because we are doing so many...' and need to be prioritised for cars which have already got failed screens.

The conclusion seemed to be come back when its failed and we'll talk again.

At times, lowering the volume on the radio takes 15-20s before it's executed. Sooo ridiculous to see on a car in this price-range. People would have been fired if this would ever have happened on a Beemer or Merc. Period.

Clearly you're not aware of the Volkswagen RNS-510 debacle..... My wife had that in her old car and it was worse than an MCU1.... totally unbearable.

• Funny
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Just in the way of an update to my earlier post - my appointment ended up being cancelled by Tesla after some discussion about whether or not they were prepared to change the eMMC.

(My earlier post is here - Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500 )

The draft invoice made no sense and didn't reflect my earlier conversation with the service agent, so I was grateful they called again to clarify what would happen. After again pushing either the MCU2 or reconditioned MCU1 option as a better solution for me they seemed hesitant about whether or not they would be prepared to commit to doing the eMMC upgrade, despite me requesting that in the first place and being ready to pay for it. They said that they would need to test (at my cost) to confirm the eMMC was already dead/dying and wouldn't be changing it if it was still functional.

The reason for this changed stance is apparently because 'the parts are in short supply because we are doing so many...' and need to be prioritised for cars which have already got failed screens.

The conclusion seemed to be come back when its failed and we'll talk again.

I am scheduled for this Friday and the part has been ordered. We will see what happens.

Just picked up my car after successful replacement of the Tegra daughter card.
Timeline/history:
MCU1, AP1 car with ~80K miles. Number of spontaneous reboots increased over last 3-4 months. Nothing crazy, I’d say once every three weeks or so until recently. During my last in-warranty service appt three weeks ago, I had it listed as an issue to review. They ran the eMMC health script, which came back (unsurprisingly) as still “ok”. They performed the usual clearing of the caches, map tiles, etc. and said that’s the extent they can do since it’s not actually dead.
Two weeks later I get into the car and have a completely black/dead screen. Rebooted to no avail. HVAC wasn’t on prior, but after the reboot attempt that didn’t work, the HVAC turned on and stayed on. My MCU was now officially dead. Drove for two days and booked service appt. Each day, I tried rebooting a few times “just in case”. Low and behold, it came back to life on the third night. Cool. Car back to normal while I wait for service appt.
Good news was that my service center had it in stock and the swap went off without a hitch. Just need to redo all my profiles, settings, homelink, etc.
Part number used was:
MSX MCU TEGRA VCM REV-B/C-PROV (64GB)(2728212 -S0-B)

Just picked up my car after successful replacement of the Tegra daughter card.
Timeline/history:
MCU1, AP1 car with ~80K miles. Number of spontaneous reboots increased over last 3-4 months. Nothing crazy, I’d say once every three weeks or so until recently. During my last in-warranty service appt three weeks ago, I had it listed as an issue to review. They ran the eMMC health script, which came back (unsurprisingly) as still “ok”. They performed the usual clearing of the caches, map tiles, etc. and said that’s the extent they can do since it’s not actually dead.
Two weeks later I get into the car and have a completely black/dead screen. Rebooted to no avail. HVAC wasn’t on prior, but after the reboot attempt that didn’t work, the HVAC turned on and stayed on. My MCU was now officially dead. Drove for two days and booked service appt. Each day, I tried rebooting a few times “just in case”. Low and behold, it came back to life on the third night. Cool. Car back to normal while I wait for service appt.
Good news was that my service center had it in stock and the swap went off without a hitch. Just need to redo all my profiles, settings, homelink, etc.
Part number used was:
MSX MCU TEGRA VCM REV-B/C-PROV (64GB)(2728212 -S0-B)

how's the performance

I hope it works for 2012 model.

It did work for 2012.
Ended up being at the shop for 2 nights since they needed more time to upload firmware. While it was open they called and asked if I wanted to replace screen for 550 no extra labor. So I did since I had a 2 inch bubble all around. With taxes total was $948.15 and all working well. I just have to recreate profiles, wifi, home link, timed charging etc, so almost feels like new.

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 4.41.34 PM.png

I had my daughterboard replaced last Friday ($214 labor and $120 in parts 2728212-S0-B) and since then I have noticed two odd issues...

1) Almost every time I enter the car, the IC is black and takes ~10 to 15 seconds to come alive. I don't remember it acting this way before, seemed to come on almost immediately after opening the door.

2) After I reset our driver profiles, HomeLink, wifi, etc, I am unable to remotely trigger HomeLink via the Tesla app. When I try, it gives the error "there are no HomeLink-enabled garage doors near your vehicle" and this happens when I am parked in the garage :confused:

Anyone else experiencing these issues, post daughterboard replacement?

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-29_18-32-13.png
    upload_2020-10-29_18-32-13.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
My SeC appt was pushed out due to part delay. It will be close to 6 weeks if in fact the daughter board arrives before the 11th.

Not encouraging to hear of glitches with the new part. Perhaps there is more to the MCU1 issues than just emmc.