Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's current stances is wait in tesla queue for warranty replacement, or pay out of pocket with no reimbursement. Maybe things will change if they decide to recall.
Their current stance is deny deny deny a replacement stating you don't need one. They are trying to keep the numbers down in order not to be forced to do one. Pretty shady. O you didnt keep logs, o we didn't find anything wrong, o we did a relfash and your ok. All BS excuses to avoid changing it.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Their current stance is deny deny deny a replacement stating you don't need one. They are trying to keep the numbers down in order not to be forced to do one. Pretty shady. O you didnt keep logs, o we didn't find anything wrong, o we did a relfash and your ok. All BS excuses to avoid changing it.
please add "your corrupted USB drive is causing the screen to go blank" to the list of excuses. I got that response from a service center this morning.

Center screen is expensive by itself. I will do the MCU2 upgrade (with screen) if I have to replace mine.

I already had the instrument cluster replaced for its own adhesive leak, and combined with the our hardware/driving habits that result in very little benefit from MCU1 to 2, it's not cost effective to pursue MCU2.

I set-up a service appt in the app for an estimate of a concurrent replacement of leaking touchscreen and pre-emptive Tegra daughterboard swap (to see if they would reduce labor for doing both at the same time). Just got my estimate back...

MCU Touchpanel:
MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP, OGS DSPLY (1084333-00-C) $550
Labor $214.5 (1.1 hrs)

Tegra Daughterboard:
MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C (2728212-S0-B) $120
SCR,M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH (1010058-00-A) 12x$0.20
ScR,M3X4.PH.TRX10.W/PATCH (1010052-00-A) 3x$0.15
Labor $243.75 (1.25 hrs)

So, not only did they not reduce the labor cost for working the daughterboard while the touchscreen is already out for a replacement...they increased the labor from the 1.1hrs previously billed to 1.25hrs.

• Informative
I already had the instrument cluster replaced for its own adhesive leak, and combined with the our hardware/driving habits that result in very little benefit from MCU1 to 2, it's not cost effective to pursue MCU2.

I set-up a service appt in the app for an estimate of a concurrent replacement of leaking touchscreen and pre-emptive Tegra daughterboard swap (to see if they would reduce labor for doing both at the same time). Just got my estimate back...

MCU Touchpanel:
MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP, OGS DSPLY (1084333-00-C) $550
Labor $214.5 (1.1 hrs)

Tegra Daughterboard:
MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C (2728212-S0-B) $120
SCR,M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH (1010058-00-A) 12x$0.20
ScR,M3X4.PH.TRX10.W/PATCH (1010052-00-A) 3x$0.15
Labor $243.75 (1.25 hrs)

So, not only did they not reduce the labor cost for working the daughterboard while the touchscreen is already out for a replacement...they increased the labor from the 1.1hrs previously billed to 1.25hrs.

I got a similar response when I asked about upgrading the modem to LTE from 3G at the same time as a eMMC swap - no dice. They told me the pricing was set and was simply job A plus job B and would be the same even if it was two separate visits.

In the end neither happened anyway, because they told me I couldn't have the new eMMC as mine wasn't bad enough yet, even though I was willing to pay for it. "Come back when it's failed completely"

I've only ever had one MCU restart while driving, but this alert just popped up. I'm guessing the service will be the chip replacement?

IMG-1824.jpg

• Informative

I've been following the patterns behind this for a long time now. I believe the reason they are stalling performing replacements is SUPPLY problems. I believe they are having problems getting new daughterboards. They manage to get a large supply in July and they went quick. SCs where not questioning replacements. If it was close and under warranty, they replaced it. If it was out of warranty and the owner offered/agreed to pay, they replaced it. And I believe they burned through more than six months supply of boards in 45 days.

Its going to get better - and its not because there's a new guy in the White House. Its going to start getting better in Feb when the details of the NHTSA inquiry and the WAP compensations are shared by Tesla.

Reactions: EVChris
I have the leak around the top and side edges (not bottom). It doesn't seem to be causing any issues. Will this get worse over time and result in the display going out?

I don't think the display will go out (I don't remember seeing any cases of that on the forums). But after seeing how sticky and annoying it is (and how exponentially fast the leak grew once it started) when it got loose from our center display, I wouldn't want it oozing onto my pants/legs for the weeks it will take to get an appointment and replacement.

I've been following the patterns behind this for a long time now. I believe the reason they are stalling performing replacements is SUPPLY problems. They manage to get a large supply in July and they went quick. SCs where not questioning replacements. If it was close and under warranty, they replaced it. If it was out of warranty and the owner offered/agreed to pay, they replaced it. And I believe they burned through more than six months supply of boards in 45 days.

Well why dont they be somewhat open to their customers and inform them.
i.e. Replacement parts are in short supply and we will put you on a list based on priority.

Ideally they would add
"If it takes more than 4 weeks we will provide you with a model3 SR or a used modelS rent-free."