Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MCU2 upgrade is now 1500. Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla
The pressure from NHSTA for a full recall may also be a factor in lowering the price of MCU2. :cool:
I think Tesla may be motivated to reduce the number of repair claims if they push owners to upgrade.
3f77b578-94e6-4f66-9573-0a4c8e140222-png.629561

I JUST got my MX upgraded last week (at full price!). Has anyone had success in getting a refund of the difference?

If you have Netflix you have MCU2. Does it also buffer while on WiFi? If not, mobile data coverage is the likely culprit.

Thank you for that: yes, I do have Netflix.
Is there a MCU 3? Some posts seem to imply that there is. Having paid for FSD when I bought the car I do wonder if the system is going to be capable of processing all the information if it ever hits the average Joe!

I called the service center. They said no refund of the difference.

I’m not planning to let this go.

It always surprises me how many people feel entitled to retroactively benefit from pricing changes.

You paid the price on offer at the time and got the goods that were promised at that price. What has changed?

Thank you for that: yes, I do have Netflix.
Is there a MCU 3? Some posts seem to imply that there is. Having paid for FSD when I bought the car I do wonder if the system is going to be capable of processing all the information if it ever hits the average Joe!
No MCU3. If there is an MCU2.1 with 5G it is under wraps comping off the updated S/X line.

Reactions: Akikiki
It always surprises me how many people feel entitled to retroactively benefit from pricing changes.

You paid the price on offer at the time and got the goods that were promised at that price. What has changed?
It is a common customer service practice. For companies that actually treat their customers as valuable assets rather than rubbish.

It is a common customer service practice. For companies that actually treat their customers as valuable assets rather than rubbish.
Common in the automotive industry? I don’t think so. Groceries and consumer electronics maybe.

Where do you draw the line? Who should get refunded the difference? Everyone? Only some? If so, which some?

If Tesla announced a price increase; could they demand? Would they expect us that already paid for it to pay the difference to the higher price? Sure, I would like that $1,000 back. I would even happily take it as store credit and buy tires. Would be nice, but I don't expect it. I've also said several times here that the MCU2 upgrade IMO, is worth twice what they charged us for it, at its first price. And I've heard many here - now that they have MCU2, they are very pleased, thrilled, elated - are some of the words with it. They did not regret paying for it at $2500. Anyone would be crazy not want the $1,000 difference back, but it's worth the price at $1500 and $2500.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
2017 s 43k miles under warranty till October 2021. browser not functional . Had service visit with wipe and reset even though i wanted emmc replaced. Driving home from SC browser continued to be non functional on LTE. Now have Tegra daughterboard 64gb ordered.
I like having am/fm radio and do not feel i should have to pay extra for am/fm if bought MCU2.My plan is to see if browser , nav functionality improves with new emmc while under warranty. Hopefully if down the line I need MCU2 they will incorporate the radio fix with it. Plan to keep car and buy extended warranty.
Looking for advice/opinions.??

Let's see... hmmm... Extended warranty is $4,000+. If battery or drive unit was going to fail, would already have. So, must be one of the good ones, better ones with no issues. Still have to pay $200 deductible for every visit. hmmm.

MCU2 was recently $2,500 and FM radio was another $500. All these people saying that upgrading to MCU2 breathes such fresh life into MCU1 car, its as if getting a new car - a 2019/2020 except for a few more rattles. And car behaves better than it e-v-e-r did. Whoa, now the MCU2 upgrade price has been reduced $ 1,000 to $1,500 and with $500 radio its still $500 cheaper for same than it was just two weeks ago. So, I would get all the nearly benefits of a brand new car (since it does not have any battery or drive unit issues too), for just $2,000. Less than half the price of the extended warranty that does not get me MCU2? And I still have the difference between extended warranty and MCU2 upgrade? The $2,000+ to put in to TSLA and let it grow? That will help if I have any mechanical issues since I didn't buy the extended warranty after all? Actually seems pretty simple.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Took the bait and opted in for mcu2 upgrade. Found it interesting that they ordered a new AP3 module for my car even though I have it installed. It stated AP3 for MCU2 on the invoice.

Got sick and tired of the slowness of the vehicle and tired of waiting around for tesla to fix my chip. Also happy to get a properly working dashcam/sentry system.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911