Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried but way to slow. Had to pull the usb stick for dadhvam and stop using streaming audio.

ditto. I’m tempted to try the eMMC, but then I have two trips to the shop.

If you know you need to go on to MCU2 but stopping off to let them do eMMC is like stepping across a fast running stream with mossy rocks. You know you need to get on across, so why stop halfway and stand on that slippery rock and risk something else happening - like at the SC?

If you know you need to go on to MCU2 but stopping off to let them do eMMC is like stepping across a fast running stream with mossy rocks. You know you need to get on across, so why stop halfway and stand on that slippery rock and risk something else happening - like at the SC?
I agree with you. But if the eMMC would make it "good enough" I'd rather save the cash. Anyway, I'm mentally committed at this point. I just hope they give me a loaner. No loaner after rescheduling the night before I'll have to rethink.

Reactions: Akikiki
I don't think replacing BMB boards would be that expensive for Tesla (as compared to battery modules/packs). They obviously know how many defective ones each car has. After all for condition 'X' (a single Mosfet) they obviously fixed them. Also if you look at the Emmc recall they are now planning to recall all of them albeit reluctantly rather then when they fail. I am sure Tesla could have worked around with software to reduce the failures on Emmc.
The recall includes both the replacement and the software update to reduce wear. Also they did do software updates to reduce the wear prior to the recall.
From the recall FAQ:
"Is this recall to update software or to replace a component?
Both. The first part of the remedy is to ensure that customers install software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release to address all potential safety concerns. The second part of the remedy is to proactively upgrade, free of charge, the available memory storage on your vehicle from 8GB to 64GB."
8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:
@Lisajet_SJC, I/m sorry you had to learn this lesson the scary way. But its a common and well known risk leaving a fob and your cell phone near each other. Men must carry the fob in one front pocket and the phone a different one. Cell phone signals will interfere to the point of cancelling out the fob's signal to the car. This warning has been stated many times on TMC.

When your are locked out of your S/X and the handles will not present, go to the trunk and try opening it. Sometimes even when the door handles will not present, the trunk is unlocked and will open. I can't explain the logic, but we know it works - sometimes.

For anyone else finding yourself like this, you have options. Don't paint yourself into a corner. If you can borrow another cell phone, ask if you can install the app temporarily, unlocked your car, delete the app. If you can get to a regular phone, call someone you trust, ask them to download the app, give them your password, unlock your car. Then when you get home, change your password. You are seldom "stuck in the mud", think - calm down, think.

I've said this many times on TMC. Find one of your old phones, turn on WiFi, add the app, login and leave it in your garage. Leave it next door in a friend's garage. Buy a $20 burner phone with WiFi, put it in your neighbor's garage. Think. What if your SA had not been at work. What was your next step?

This had nothing to do with the MCU. Reading "catchy - attention getting titled" threads on TMC is an investment, not just killing time.

@AaronE, Just wondering, what could you possibly have taken issue with and disagreed with in this post?

Interesting. I see that you have disagreed more times that you have "like" anyone's post. And you have disagreed just over once for every two contribution/post you have made.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rqcg and immolated
@AaronE, Just wondering, what could you possibly have taken issue with and disagreed with in this post?
hmmm, not sure actually. on one hand, I agree with you -- cross-posting an unrelated keyfob anecdote isn't helpful in big threads like this. on the other hand, feeding the troll isn't helpful either. and suggesting that you keep spare phones everywhere to workaround a clear failure of the car (no other of my 5 keyless cars locks themselves in) isn't really addressing the real problem (which would be a great DIFFERENT thread).

all in all though, you're right, so I removed the disagree.

and to keep this ON-TOPIC, I actually just scheduled my service appt for TOMORROW MORNING (w00t!) to get my MCU2 upgrade done. my eMMC is awful lately (both IC and info screens reboot/crash all the time) and I think I might be able to get it done for $750 if it all works out.

my logic: $1500 - $250 to keep new screen - $500 later refund under the 11th question in the FAQ about the recall/warranty. we'll see how it goes.

If I previously purchased the Infotainment Upgrade due to the condition described in the recall, will I receive reimbursement from Tesla?
If you paid for Tesla’s Infotainment Upgrade instead of paying to repair your previous touchscreen after Tesla Service diagnosed that your vehicle’s eMMC was malfunctioning due to accumulated wear, then you may be eligible for reimbursement up to the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade.  More information on reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursement will be available by the end of March 2021.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
hmmm, not sure actually. on one hand, I agree with you -- cross-posting an unrelated keyfob anecdote isn't helpful in big threads like this. on the other hand, feeding the troll isn't helpful either. and suggesting that you keep spare phones everywhere to workaround a clear failure of the car (no other of my 5 keyless cars locks themselves in) isn't really addressing the real problem (which would be a great DIFFERENT thread).

all in all though, you're right, so I removed the disagree.

and to keep this ON-TOPIC, I actually just scheduled my service appt for TOMORROW MORNING (w00t!) to get my MCU2 upgrade done. my eMMC is awful lately (both IC and info screens reboot/crash all the time) and I think I might be able to get it done for $750 if it all works out.

my logic: $1500 - $250 to keep new screen - $500 later refund under section 33 of the recall/warranty agreement. we'll see how it goes.
I really recommend the new screen. Looks so much better. Worth the 250 imo

I agree with you. But if the eMMC would make it "good enough" I'd rather save the cash. Anyway, I'm mentally committed at this point. I just hope they give me a loaner. No loaner after rescheduling the night before I'll have to rethink.
I did both MCU2 on 2014 P85+ and daughterboard swap on 2015 70D. After about seven months of usage, I am happy with both. But if I were to do it again, I would do MCU2 on both cars. The dark backup camera of the mcu2 was annoying but it is now fixed. I still like the mcu1 sound quality more and miss the FM radio, but I am getting used to it.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I did both MCU2 on 2014 P85+ and daughterboard swap on 2015 70D. After about seven months of usage, I am happy with both. But if I were to do it again, I would do MCU2 on both cars. The dark backup camera of the mcu2 was annoying but it is now fixed. I still like the mcu1 sound quality more and miss the FM radio, but I am getting used to it.
That’s interesting.
Has the new emmc brought back speed to the mcu1 or is it still slow?
I understand from other posts that MCU2 is indeed better and surely restores the browser but for the rest, it’s not such a big difference.
What’s you opinion about your mcu1 speed versus your mcu2’s ?

Note to owners of AP2/2.5/3: I’m interested in the behavior in a AP1 or PreAP car. I do know that -for your cars- MCU2 is great and mcu1 was really bad, due to the added load of your AP’s features like sentry,...

They don't offer the option to keep your old screen anymore. And the refund only applies to repairs made before the enhanced warranty/recall started.

Dropped it off this morning and one advisor said "yeah it just takes $250 off" to the other advisor, but ultimately they weren't able to do it. as was mentioned in the big MCU2 thread, yeah, looks like the "B" part (w/o screen) no longer exists.

as for the refund, we'll see. by language it doesn't imply that only older upgrades were eligible. that said, it does say that the refund would be the amount an eMMC swap costs at the time of upgrade, which at this point is $0. so, maybe I'll get a $0 rebate. I'll wait for March to see what their TOC says.

I did both MCU2 on 2014 P85+... The dark backup camera of the mcu2 was annoying but it is now fixed.

is this true? I hadn't heard that in any of the posts from the megathread of which I read all 360+ pages...

ps. funny SC anecdote. I told him I already had Rev D of the MCU1/screen and he's like "that's not a thing." at least his demeanor seemed to change when I showed him a picture of the part and box from when it was replaced with a big ol' "-D" in the part number.

That’s interesting.
I understand from other posts that MCU2 is indeed better and surely restores the browser but for the rest, it’s not such a big difference.

Note to owners of AP2/2.5/3: I’m interested in the behavior in a AP1 or PreAP car. I do know that -for your cars- MCU2 is great and mcu1 was really bad, due to the added load of your AP’s features like sentry,...

Yes. Even the browser works, albeit slow. Overall, very much usable.

That’s interesting.

MCU1 is much faster post-eMMC upgrade in my AP1 car. My advice is take the free warranty repair and decide if that's good enough before you spend the big bucks.

I scheduled my update/recall and got this message from TSLA:

Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.

Parts Ordered
  1. MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-A - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED
    Part #: 2728212-S0-A

I scheduled my recall/update for April 1, 2021 and got this message from Tesla:

Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.

Parts Ordered
  1. MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-A - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED
    Part #: 2728212-S0-A

I've read through all 29 pages and gotten up to speed. Thank you, fellow owners.
  • Infotainment failed on Aug 8. The screen shows the rear view camera but no guidance marks, turn signals don't work, no remote connection. AC is on. Car charges + runs.
  • Scheduled service Aug 9.
  • Parts ordered email August 10.
    • MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED
      Part #: 2728212-S0-B
Is this covered by the eMMC recall?
Any idea how long does this part take to get delivered? A week, a month?
If it's a month+ I may go for the MCU2. Do they offer a discount for the MCU2 in lieu of the eMMC recall? Is it still $1500?
I already have the LTE upgrade + Premium Connectivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I've read through all 29 pages and gotten up to speed. Thanks, fellow owners.
  • Infotainment failed on Aug 8. The screen shows the rear view camera but no guidance marks, turn signals don't work, no remote connection. AC is on. Car charges + runs.
  • Scheduled service Aug 9.
  • Parts ordered email August 10.
    • MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED
      Part #: 2728212-S0-B
Is this covered by the eMMC recall?
How long is this part going to take to get delivered? A week, a month?
If it's a month+ I may go for the MCU2. Do they offer a discount for the MCU2? Is it still $1500?
Yes, that should be covered by the recall. No idea on how long it will take, but I would hope not that long.

And no, they don't offer a discount for the MCU2 upgrade.