Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any luck getting this done preemptively under warranty? I'm currently trying. I requested the service and they asked for a date when the MCU was having trouble so they could review the logs. I gave them that and they changed from a mobile visit to a SC visit with an estimate of $97.50 diagnostic fee.
I'm worried if I take it in that they'll look at it and say "Nope, still has some life, thanks for the $97.50" Or are they actively trying to get these all fixed?

Has anyone had any luck getting this done preemptively under warranty? I'm currently trying. I requested the service and they asked for a date when the MCU was having trouble so they could review the logs. I gave them that and they changed from a mobile visit to a SC visit with an estimate of $97.50 diagnostic fee.
I'm worried if I take it in that they'll look at it and say "Nope, still has some life, thanks for the $97.50" Or are they actively trying to get these all fixed?

They honestly should replace them free under warranty

Anyone yet had Tegra replacement in Europe?

I have a 2013 P85+ which is very likely running the original MCU1. It works reasonably well, I have never encountered a black screen or crash/reboot. But sometimes spotify stops streaming for no reason, and I've had a few graphical glitches on the menus..

Edit: I actually have access to BGA rework station where I work, and we even have some suitable eMMC's in the house. But being the lazy b*stard I'd rather drop the car to SC and have it done there if it's only like 500eur total..

Anyone yet had Tegra replacement in Europe?

I have a 2013 P85+ which is very likely running the original MCU1. It works reasonably well, I have never encountered a black screen or crash/reboot. But sometimes spotify stops streaming for no reason, and I've had a few graphical glitches on the menus..

Edit: I actually have access to BGA rework station where I work, and we even have some suitable eMMC's in the house. But being the lazy b*stard I'd rather drop the car to SC and have it done there if it's only like 500eur total..

I have seen issues with Spotify when there is USB Drive, try removing it.

I just want to add one point to those complaining about MCU dying and Tesla repairs are gouging.

Find me another brand of car where a dead screen costs 500CAD after labor to fix.

Under warranty?

I've been unable to reasonably drive my car since the beginning of July - no center console means no venting, no ability to open the sun roof and most importantly, no AC when the temperate rises to triple-digits (F).

As such, it's been parked at the service center for about a month.

It's not like the MSRP on the vehicle was a bit north $140,000.

Anyone who has received the board, can you let us know the wait time. We have several friends along with our warranty car that has been rescheduled and waiting for a month, and continuing to be rescheduled.

I am scheduled to get the MCU Daughterboard installed tomorrow by a Ranger. My MCU died on 6/25/20, so it's been over 2 months now.... Crossing my fingers that they get the job done as promised.

Reactions: Akikiki
Hi Jimali - My 2016 MS 90D had the same issue a couple weeks ago. Completely black center screen and drained battery so I had to have it towed to the Service Center. The new part was ordered and while at the SC, the Tesla engineers magically found a cure for it and "repaired" my existing MCU1. I had the car back for a week before the center screen went black again. Keep an eye on strange sounds, charging issues, etc and be prepared to send it back in. The car came back online after sitting at home overnight, but I'm back on the list for a replacement. Fingers are crossed your "repair" experience isn't like mine!

UPDATE to the above: Something more disturbing - and potentially unrelated - happened on 8/19. I was pulling the car into my driveway but had to get out to move an object that was in the way. When I got out of the car, the driver side door closed and then the car locked. The key fob and my phone (mobile app) were both in my purse on the front seat and my German Shepard was in the back seat. The door handles were not responding, I had absolutely NO way to unlock the car and it was super hot here in CA. I was able to borrow a phone and immediately texted an emergency text to my Service Advisor (thankfully he was still at work!) and he was able to remote unlock the car so I could get the dog out. Again, not sure if it's related to the MCU1 being out or not, but definitely scary that the car didn't recognize the key (or the weight of a 96 pound dog) inside. :(

The car is back at the SC again and they're trying to diagnose the center screen along with a strange "clicking" sound that was coming from behind the front dash. Not sure if anyone else has had these issues?

Reactions: gmo43
@Lisajet_SJC, I/m sorry you had to learn this lesson the scary way. But its a common and well known risk leaving a fob and your cell phone near each other. Men must carry the fob in one front pocket and the phone a different one. Cell phone signals will interfere to the point of cancelling out the fob's signal to the car. This warning has been stated many times on TMC.

When your are locked out of your S/X and the handles will not present, go to the trunk and try opening it. Sometimes even when the door handles will not present, the trunk is unlocked and will open. I can't explain the logic, but we know it works - sometimes.

For anyone else finding yourself like this, you have options. Don't paint yourself into a corner. If you can borrow another cell phone, ask if you can install the app temporarily, unlocked your car, delete the app. If you can get to a regular phone, call someone you trust, ask them to download the app, give them your password, unlock your car. Then when you get home, change your password. You are seldom "stuck in the mud", think - calm down, think.

I've said this many times on TMC. Find one of your old phones, turn on WiFi, add the app, login and leave it in your garage. Leave it next door in a friend's garage. Buy a $20 burner phone with WiFi, put it in your neighbor's garage. Think. What if your SA had not been at work. What was your next step?

This had nothing to do with the MCU. Reading "catchy - attention getting titled" threads on TMC is an investment, not just killing time.

Last edited:
UPDATE to the above: Something more disturbing - and potentially unrelated - happened on 8/19. I was pulling the car into my driveway but had to get out to move an object that was in the way. When I got out of the car, the driver side door closed and then the car locked. The key fob and my phone (mobile app) were both in my purse on the front seat and my German Shepard was in the back seat. The door handles were not responding, I had absolutely NO way to unlock the car and it was super hot here in CA. I was able to borrow a phone and immediately texted an emergency text to my Service Advisor (thankfully he was still at work!) and he was able to remote unlock the car so I could get the dog out. Again, not sure if it's related to the MCU1 being out or not, but definitely scary that the car didn't recognize the key (or the weight of a 96 pound dog) inside. :(

The car is back at the SC again and they're trying to diagnose the center screen along with a strange "clicking" sound that was coming from behind the front dash. Not sure if anyone else has had these issues?
when this happens you can always install the app on another device, log in and unlock

I called a friend once and gave him my login and he let me in the car from 500 kms away

howd you text someone without your phone?

Reactions: Akikiki and EVChris

I had the same thing happen (no dog, though) - phone and key were in my coat pocket, coat sitting on passenger seat. You can call roadside assistance 877-79-TESLA and they will remote unlock.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I've been unable to reasonably drive my car since the beginning of July - no center console means no venting, no ability to open the sun roof and most importantly, no AC when the temperate rises to triple-digits (F).

As such, it's been parked at the service center for about a month.

It's not like the MSRP on the vehicle was a bit north $140,000.
That is terrible and sadly I doubt anything will change with Tesla any time soon, as long as the share price keeps soaring they have no need to address problems like yours or assembly line problems.

I’m following this. My warranty is over in 6 months and MCU1 is crawling.