Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well until NHTSA and media got involved it did cost like 2k lol
$3,600 for new MCU1 when they first started failing, $2,600 for remanufactured. They slowly lowered the price as more of them started failing and media (and eventually NHTSA) got a wind of it. The Tegra board replacement should have been an option from day 1, but of course, Tesla doesn't solve hardware problems for existing customers unless they have to, as per Elon's own words.

Can you find out what the incremental cost is to do the LTE upgrade? You should save a bunch in labor, since they MCU is already removed.
My car is in service now for HV battery codes ("Maximum battery charge level reduced", and 2 "Service is required - PULL OVER SAFELY"). I asked them to do several things while the car is in the shop, including quote on LTE/Tegra replacement. Quote shows LTE upgrade, flat fee of $500 plus $120 parts only for Tegra: "Concern: Customer requests proactive replacement of the daughterboard. (No labor due to performing LTE retrofit)." So $620 combined for both.

We think the Tegra board with "PROVISIONED" in the description is an indicator that the Tegra board already has a version of the firmware on it. Once installed, their a couple of critical files that the tech installs, but 90% of the software (the firmware) is already there and this reduces the downtime whether in the shop your your garage. Once the car is up and running again, the car will get the most recent firmware whenever its supposed to. But until then - at least its up and running again.

We are hopeful that someone getting the Tegra board installed with Mobile service will confirm this. So, if you have a mobile tech service scheduled at home for Tegra board installation, please ask or watch the mobile tech. Watch if he loads the firmware to the Tegra board while working or it's already installed.

Range came by today to install the daughterboard. Here is from it looks like. Perhaps some astute observers can ID whether there are new chips on it, or when it was manufactured.

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

An update on my Ranger visit to replace the Tegra daughterboard. - So far it isn't working.

Before the Ranger visit, I was able to charge my car to 60% at 8amps / 240 but it was drivable. Not necessarily safe, but drivable.

After the Ranger visit, they were able to communicate with the car via the internet, but the center screen was still black and not talking to the MCU. They determined they needed to restore all the firmware that enabled MCU - Screen communication. Since that takes 2 - 3 hours, the Ranger left, telling me that a tech at Tesla was updating my car and all would be fine in 2 - 3 hours.

6 hours later, I have a car that is not drivable. It still has the black center screen, but I can't shift into Drive anymore because the dash says "Software update needed - Contact Tesla Support".

Interestingly it now will charge at 32 amps to about 85%.

And the AC is stuck in the ON position. The car won't lock, although the door handles retract.

I was finally able to get a call back from the tech about 8 hours after he left. He tells me the firmware updates failed twice and they are trying again. The AC is on because the MCU is being probed by their software and it thinks somebody is in the car.

The plan is to continue trying the remote software updates. If that fails, the next step is a full MCU replacement.

This is a serious nightmare, because it has been dragging on since June .

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and gmo43
Anyone who has received the board, can you let us know the wait time. We have several friends along with our warranty car that has been rescheduled and waiting for a month, and continuing to be rescheduled.

Same here. I've had my service to replace this cancelled twice. First they cancelled my mobile service and said they could only install it at the service center. Now they said they don't have any parts for me. I've been waiting for a fix since early July, and had my new daughterboard ordered the first week of August. I'm scheduled again for next week. They don't even bother to let you know. You show up for your appointment and they're like "Oh, sorry. We don't have the part. Reschedule in the app."

Gee. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Range came by today to install the daughterboard. Here is from it looks like. Perhaps some astute observers can ID whether there are new chips on it, or when it was manufactured.

View attachment 581539
View attachment 581540
Thanks, would love it if you got more of the chip in the picture, However it does look like they have switched to a Micron Chip. However that chip is offered in 8 Gigabyte (64 gigabit) and 64 Gigabyte, and more. I cant want to get our to finally find out what it is!!!

I wonder why they are having trouble. I would imagining they have a good way of matching the software versions to your car. It cant be that hard.....

Not sure if this has been discussed. Does tesla charge for mobile work out of warranty
I had mobile service replace both front swaybar end links out of warranty. There was a 30 min diagnosis charge, the tech ordered the parts, and came back to replace them ($95 parts, plus another half hour of labor). <$275 total. Mobile service labor rate was $175/hr vs $195/hr at the Service Center.

Thanks, would love it if you got more of the chip in the picture, However it does look like they have switched to a Micron Chip. However that chip is offered in 8 Gigabyte (64 gigabit) and 64 Gigabyte, and more. I cant want to get our to finally find out what it is!!!

I wonder why they are having trouble. I would imagining they have a good way of matching the software versions to your car. It cant be that hard.....

I can upload high res version. Which chip are we looking at on this board?