Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late 2016 MS, 3.8yrs old, 48,500 miles. Reported sporadically occurring "black screens of death" (with reboots taking longer) to the service center where they said my memory was likely filling up since I had a lot of trip history & wanted me to come in when it next happened and have it factory reset to wipe the memory (requires in-house SC appt). Credible or "stalling"?
Clearing old settings and saved locations is barely a band-aid. Will not last but for about 2 months and all the problems will be back.

What battery does your car have?

Great to hear your good experience...

How is the performance? Any glitches? Does the browser work? Which SeC did you use?

So far so good. I took a little driving around after re-setting up all the features etc.
-Someone here actually think there would be an improvement, I don't feel anything better.
-Screen turns on as soon as the door is opened, someone here thought it takes ~10-15 seconds...mine is just on almost instantly.
-Web browser same (slow as before), but expected it. again, it's not the faster MCU2.
-Nav same, no change.
-Have not tried Autopilot cause I haven't been out to freeway; surface streets were heavy with traffics the time I drove home from SC.
-SC I used was: 9250 Trade Pl, San Diego, CA 92121 SA: Anton Radiev

I forgot to ask for the warranty for this daughter board replacement.
I just noticed, the actual part number of the replaced part now has "REMAN" between (64 GB) & (2728212-S0-B), not sure if this means "REMANUFACTURED" ??? see below:
MSX VCM TEGRA REV-B/C PROV (64 GB)-REMAN(2728212-S0-B)
This doesn't bother me at all and it all make sense that Tesla removed a bunch of older daughter boards and replaced the old 8 GB with 64 GB and ship them back to SC's for use as replacement parts.

Although I also noticed it's "REV-B/C" for Revision B and C ???
Couple of earlier posts here have part ordered REV-A.

BTW they did offer 4 new tires for $1120 +tax for Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/45/R19, but I declined.
These are total for mounting/disposal/re-balancing? Not sure, didn't ask. But will get Michelins from Costco later.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
@TATsla, what battery does your S have in it?
I have 75kwh but capped at 60kwh (80%) at time of purchase in Sep 2016 when Tesla pushed off their last batch of MCU1 MS's apparently; discounted $9,000 for that. So the badge in the rear is "60D" came off the delivery center. Interestingly, during the last big fires in California last summer, they extended the range to 75kwh supposed to be temporarily just like what they've done the Florida folks during their hurricane evacuation. However, Tesla kept my extension as is after the fires. So the instrument and the center screen shows "75D" but my badge in the rear still is "60D" LOL. I do have power lift gate and Premiums though (this may be why I still have AM/FM).

Reactions: FlatSix911
I have 75kwh...time of purchase in Sep 2016 when Tesla pushed off their last batch of MCU1 MS's apparently.

Last of the MCU1? Sep 2016? Sorry, you are not even close. There were another 22,000 in Q4 2016; 103,020 in 2017; and 29,980 in Q1 of 2018 sold in those last 18 months before MCU2.

The last of the new MCU1 came off the parts supply shelves from Jul '18 until about Nov/Dec '18 for warranty repairs and out of warranty repairs. Those folks not under warranty paid $4,000 for a MCU1 replacement. What's that? Ten times more than Tegra daughterboard replacement these days? About Oct '18 Tesla saw that they were running out of new MCU1's and started re manufacturing them. In late spring of 2020 fourteen foreign local clubs started applying pressure to get a daughterboard program started. Had they not, people might still be paying $1300+ for a MCU1 swap vice $400 with a superior (compared to former) eMMC.

Q2 of 2018 is when MCU2 started. Its no wonder that eMMC fill to capacity. There's four partitions for files and firmware on an eMMC, one active and one inactive partition where a complete copy of current and last firmware reside at any given time on the eMMC. In 2013 with version 3.0 the firmware was about 300 MB. With all the stuff that's been added since, the current size before FSD Beta was around 1.1-1.2 GB..

Just read through all the responses and am curious on others thoughts: 2014 MS 85, CPO warranty expires December 2020 (next month) Scheduled a service appointment 11/19 with premature failing eMMC issue and was told parts were ordered:
Parts Ordered MSX PCBA, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-A - PROVISIONED (64 GB)Part #: 2728212-S0-A
Was told this would be replaced under my warranty free of charge, but was given the option of the MCU2 upgrade when inquiring about the old 3G to LTE upgrade. Originally I was told the MCU2 upgrade would be $2.5k plus taxes. I asked about a discount since the eMMC issue is under warranty and was told I could upgrade to the MCU2 for $1,750 plus taxes if the original eMMC was found to be faulty. A significant discount... thinking about possibly trading up the car in a couple of years however. That’s a big IF though.
Thanks for posting your offer from Tesla for a discounted MCU2 upgrade.

I am in the same boat with my MCU1 car under the ESA warranty and would definitely consider the MCU1 upgrade to MCU2 for $1,750.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes! :cool:

Last of the MCU1? Sep 2016? Sorry, you are not even close. There were another 22,000 in Q4 2016; 103,020 in 2017; and 29,980 in Q1 of 2018 sold in those last 18 months before MCU2.

The last of the new MCU1 came off the parts supply shelves from Jul '18 until about Nov/Dec '18 for warranty repairs and out of warranty repairs. Those folks not under warranty paid $4,000 for a MCU1 replacement. What's that? Ten times more than Tegra daughterboard replacement these days? About Oct '18 Tesla saw that they were running out of new MCU1's and started re manufacturing them. In late spring of 2020 fourteen foreign local clubs started applying pressure to get a daughterboard program started. Had they not, people might still be paying $1300+ for a MCU1 swap vice $400 with a superior (compared to former) eMMC.

Q2 of 2018 is when MCU2 started. Its no wonder that eMMC fill to capacity. There's four partitions for files and firmware on an eMMC, one active and one inactive partition where a complete copy of current and last firmware reside at any given time on the eMMC. In 2013 with version 3.0 the firmware was about 300 MB. With all the stuff that's been added since, the current size before FSD Beta was around 1.1-1.2 GB..
Wow! that blows my mind! Thanks for all the info for all of us.

Reactions: Akikiki
I got my S Jan 2018, bit sad missed out on MCU2 but happy to hear there might be a couple options now when the emmc chip goes out. I’ve noticed a few times my MCU locks up or goes black. But have always been able to reset it so far.

It has been 6 weeks for me, no part yet.
There have been some problems reported with MCU2 upgrade on older cars.

I hear the upgrade is not possible for cars without power lift gate.

My take is to get the daughter board.

Agreed, after thinking about it more - there’s nothing wrong with my current IC or main MCU screen. I don’t drive out of town much (maybe once a year) so the extra entertainment options don’t matter much to me just the new, snappier map response and LTE upgrade. Even to that degree, I like using the plain map view (not the satellite view) and it loads just fine on 3G being in Dallas.

Thanks for helping solidify my decision!

Whoa. just got the email below:

upload_2020-11-9_14-5-3.png