Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read through all 29 pages and gotten up to speed. Thank you, fellow owners.
  • Infotainment failed on Aug 8. The screen shows the rear view camera but no guidance marks, turn signals don't work, no remote connection. AC is on. Car charges + runs.
  • Scheduled service Aug 9.
  • Parts ordered email August 10.
    • MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED
      Part #: 2728212-S0-B
Is this covered by the eMMC recall?
Any idea how long does this part take to get delivered? A week, a month?
If it's a month+ I may go for the MCU2. Do they offer a discount for the MCU2 in lieu of the eMMC recall? Is it still $1500?
I already have the LTE upgrade + Premium Connectivity.
@MP3Mike, nailed it with least amount of discussion. I'm tired in general of praising the MCU2 upgrade. Does not earn me any points, or Supercharger miles. But today, I am energized, so here goes.

When MCU2 was first offered it was $2,500+ tax and you had no FM or FM/XM radio option. Many of us took that jump and are happy with the outcome even at 40% more than you may be required to pay. In a word, "IT'S WORTH IT". Oops 3 words.

The new board that you posted is a better product than what came in your car. But MCU2 will make your car better than it was brand new.

Since they are offering you the eMMC replacement board at no expense, there's no reason and they don't offer further discount. Many are rightly interpreting the reduction from $2,500 to $1,500-$2,000 a discount.

I paid $2,500 for my MCU2 - one of the first ones. I've said more than once, its worth more than $2,500. I'm happy they didn't start off charging us more than $2,500. For the difference it made in my car - to me - its worth every penny and more.

The eMMC replacement buys you plenty of time to think about MCU2. But your car will be back to normal. It will not be better - never be better than one /same year as one with MCU2.

I encourage you to go read some of the other threads where people got MCU2. Many said they would not, but did, and are pleased. I've read hundreds if not thousands now of comments about MCU2 upgrade. I've not read one regret. The difference is amazing. Does not seem like the same car.

Reactions: EVChris
It will not be better - never be better than one /same year as one with MCU2.
Disagree somewhat - it will be noticably better than it was before it failed completely. MCU1 gets dog slow with a failing eMMC.

Mine was much better after the replacement (which I paid for, and they refuse to reimburse - maybe because it was done for parts only while they did the LTE upgrade, maybe because it hadn't fully failed before replacement).

Yes, my parent's 2018 MCU2 is somewhat faster, but this one doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But I can think of better things to spend $2k on, that's for sure.

Reactions: aerodyne
Disagree somewhat - it will be noticably better than it was before it failed completely. MCU1 gets dog slow with a failing eMMC.

Mine was much better after the replacement (which I paid for, and they refuse to reimburse - maybe because it was done for parts only while they did the LTE upgrade, maybe because it hadn't fully failed before replacement).

Yes, my parent's 2018 MCU2 is somewhat faster, but this one doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But I can think of better things to spend $2k on, that's for sure.
I'm under full warranty, and I still get the runaround on the chip. Seems like a full failure is needed before they will schedule service.

Cant even get then to fix minor stuff on mobile now, such as a dis bonded parking sensor, without a special review.

So I'd lose AM/FM with the MCU2 ... unless I purchase the Radio Upgrade for $500. I absolutely love the reason they give for this:

Why is the Radio Upgrade not included in the purchase of the Infotainment Upgrade?
Not all customers use their FM radio. For those that wish to upgrade just their infotainment system, we wanted to provide a lower-priced option.

Also I have free Premium Connectivity but it's not clear (reading threads now) that I would still have it after MCU2. Looks like I might.

So I'd lose AM/FM with the MCU2 ... unless I purchase the Radio Upgrade for $500. I absolutely love the reason they give for this:

Why is the Radio Upgrade not included in the purchase of the Infotainment Upgrade?
Not all customers use their FM radio. For those that wish to upgrade just their infotainment system, we wanted to provide a lower-priced option.

Also I have free Premium Connectivity but it's not clear (reading threads now) that I would still have it after MCU2. Looks like I might.

Pretty sure if you look up you cars features, and if was sold by Tesla before say 2019, you will have free connectivity.

Seems there is no shortage of aftermarket chips for the eMMC, nor chips that make up MCU2, just saying.

Premium connectivity stays after mcu2 upgrade.

it’s not a $1500 upgrade. It’s a $2000 upgrade that can be discounted to $1500 by dropping the AM/FM feature.

Even though $1500 is more than free, I'm leaning strongly towards the MCU2 option. The reviews are very positive. Also it's a new screen + eMMC + 4 year warranty. So it resets the ticker on those clocks. But not a chance I'm paying $500 for FM. I mostly listen to podcasts + BBC4 these days. But I can't get World Service now for some reason.

Is the MCU2 readily available or is it a long wait as well?

Last edited:
Premium connectivity stays after mcu2 upgrade.

it’s not a $1500 upgrade. It’s a $2000 upgrade that can be discounted to $1500 by dropping the AM/FM feature.
@brkaus, they have changed the terms - again. Its a $1,500 upgrade on 2012+ up to and including AP1 cars. That's how the technically draw the line on the $1,500 upgrade now. Don't know exactly when that started but its only been about <2 months.

And the $2,000 upgrade is for AP 2.0 and AP 2.5 cars now. (Does not include the cost of digital radio upgrade for MCU2.)

For an additonal $500, they can install the digital FM-FM/MX radio. Its still a $500 addition to the cost of the MCU2 upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Even though $1500 is more than free, I'm leaning strongly towards the MCU2 option. The reviews are very positive. Also it's a new screen + eMMC + 4 year warranty. So it resets the ticker on those clocks. But not a chance I'm paying $500 for FM. I mostly listen to podcasts + BBC4 these days. But I can't get World Service now for some reason.

Is the MCU2 readily available or is it a long wait as well?
@EVChris, I don't want you to have wrong info. Go back and check your source about the 4 year warranty. They changed the MCU warranty about a year ago (May 2020). Many of us caught the change. They changed it to 2 years. I don't know where you are seeing 4 years warranty. I hope you are correct, but go look again. If it says 4 years, save that page and document the date so you can prove it later. You know how it goes. Have the proof, you will never need it. Don't have it - oops surely you will.

Last edited:
I'm under full warranty, and I still get the runaround on the chip. Seems like a full failure is needed before they will schedule service.

Cant even get then to fix minor stuff on mobile now, such as a dis bonded parking sensor, without a special review.
@aerodyne, Hasn't yours been replaced once already? Back in Aug 2020? Remember I collected eMMC failures for about 18 months of data, from when people started reporting on TMC/TM until after the announcement from Tesla of the recall. I have more than 500 cars details (out of thousands of failures). I have yours recorded as failing and reported on TM forum when you had 35,400 miles. Is that wrong? I could be. Point is; is this your second failed eMMC?

@EVChris, ... I don't know where you are seeing 4 years warranty....
I'm getting it from the fount of all wisdom like the stone tablets brought down from atop Mount Sinai which Mel Gibson himself translated from the original Aramaic. I got it from an old thread. The correct information is:
two-years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first
But thanks for the heads up though. Two years is really not that long. I may take the eMMC and wait for an MCU1 failure.

Reactions: Akikiki
The reason we have to keep everyone current is, we must keep everyone current. o_O Else, changed info does not get spread. Too many people read the 3 or 4 most recent posts and don't often know what got us to this place. Not every one need to read all, but not catching up often leads to wrong info. Then it becomes encased in concrete and we are unable to undo it.

Reactions: EVChris
@aerodyne, Hasn't yours been replaced once already? Back in Aug 2020? Remember I collected eMMC failures for about 18 months of data, from when people started reporting on TMC/TM until after the announcement from Tesla of the recall. I have more than 500 cars details (out of thousands of failures). I have yours recorded as failing and reported on TM forum when you had 35,400 miles. Is that wrong? I could be. Point is; is this your second failed eMMC?

First, thanks for all your hard work on this topic over a long time.

By doing all the usual tricks, plus avoiding driving in the heat, and never parking in the sun, my original eMMC is still functioning at 42k miles. Reboot needed every 5 drives or so.

Tempting fate with a 600 mile trip next few days. We will see if that kills it.

@brkaus, they have changed the terms - again. Its a $1,500 upgrade on 2012+ up to and including AP1 cars. That's how the technically draw the line on the $1,500 upgrade now. Don't know exactly when that started but its only been about <2 months.

And the $2,000 upgrade is for AP 2.0 and AP 2.5 cars now. (Does not include the cost of digital radio upgrade for MCU2.)

For an additonal $500, they can install the digital FM-FM/MX radio. Its still a $500 addition to the cost of the MCU2 upgrade.
Thanks! Then I view it as

$2000 for older cars
$2500 for newer cars
with $500 off to drop AM/FM/XM

Reactions: Akikiki
First, thanks for all your hard work on this topic over a long time.

By doing all the usual tricks, plus avoiding driving in the heat, and never parking in the sun, my original eMMC is still functioning at 42k miles. Reboot needed every 5 drives or so.

Tempting fate with a 600 mile trip next few days. We will see if that kills it.
600 mile trip coming up? If I were you, I would take the adventure and do it. But I would at least do this. Look up where the MCU power down fuse is. I think its F51 on your car, in the long narrow fuse box under the hood. I'd check if akikiki is right first. Then pull it at home and test that it works. Practice so you can do it in the hot sun, some where stuck in a parking lot like a Supercharger stall. Just in case. Find a spare too. 20 amp, I believe. This is the simplest way to shutdown your MCU if it gets stuck. Cost ya nuthin' to know how and where to do it before you need it, or don't need it - if you are a little prepared. You know how it goes. :)
Good luck on the trip.

Reactions: TimT