Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
600 mile trip coming up? If I were you, I would take the adventure and do it. But I would at least do this. Look up where the MCU power down fuse is. I think its F51 on your car, in the long narrow fuse box under the hood. I'd check if akikiki is right first. Then pull it at home and test that it works. Practice so you can do it in the hot sun, some where stuck in a parking lot like a Supercharger stall. Just in case. Find a spare too. 20 amp, I believe. This is the simplest way to shutdown your MCU if it gets stuck. Cost ya nuthin' to know how and where to do it before you need it, or don't need it - if you are a little prepared. You know how it goes. :)
Good luck on the trip.

Thanks...I did that once for practice. So far, all I have needed is an occasional reboot.

Reactions: Akikiki
By doing all the usual tricks, plus avoiding driving in the heat, and never parking in the sun, my original eMMC is still functioning at 42k miles. Reboot needed every 5 drives or so.
Right. I am living in Arizona, but I will only drive my car in Hawaii to avoid the "heat" o_O And yes, if I don't have a garage to park my MS, I will choose to park in my neighbor's garage to avoid parking in the sun :cool:

Reactions: EVChris
Thanks...I did that once for practice. So far, all I have needed is an occasional reboot.
Good. If you have been living with sketchy MCU for a while, I guess you already know this. But putting it out there again for others. If you are having MCU/eMMC issues, you should turn off PIN to Drive and turn off/remove Scheduled Charging (at home). These separately can impact your ability to start/drive the car or could prevent you from charging at home. At least turn them off until your MCU issues are resolved.

Had an update on 20Jul.
Got the "degraded capability, please schedule service" message on 22Jul.
Schedule the appointment on 22Jul, earliest date in app was 06Aug.
They had the part when I arrived on 06Aug.
Thanks. I didn't get any degraded warning message. It just went blank when I started the car except for the the rear view camera.
So it sounds likely that the Tegra card will be available for my service appointment next week.
Good. Right now I have a drivable car but no turn signals, no AP.