Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now selling Gen 2 Wall Connector with J1772 plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little off topic but I have a short term rental property in Siesta Key that I'd like to add a charging station in the garage. Do I go with the Tesla J1772 or a dumb charger like the Grizzl-e. The Tesla charger might be worth it for the cord storage and side mount but the Grizzl-e can be 14-50 plugged in.
Unless you already have a 14-50R installed I can’t think of any reason to go with a plug-in.
The Tesla J1772 would be ideal for a rental property.

Unless you already have a 14-50R installed I can’t think of any reason to go with a plug-in.
The Tesla J1772 would be ideal for a rental property.
Actually, the cheapest approach is just to put in a 14-50R. I never road trip without that cord. I wonder how many people do? But if a lot do, then just put in your cheapest J1772, which everybody can use. There are some pretty low cost units on eBay. Main reason to get Tesla J1772 wall connector at $550 is if you want to pair it with other TWC to share power. Otherwise you can go for half of that.

An EVSE is actually a dead simple device, and there is no excuse for it to cost more than $200. It's really just a cord, with a switch and a small microcontroller. It is not a charger. The only source of cost is having quality wire and other components rated for the current. Note as well for guests that 24a is plenty, which can also reduce the cost.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
A little off topic but I have a short term rental property in Siesta Key that I'd like to add a charging station in the garage. Do I go with the Tesla J1772 or a dumb charger like the Grizzl-e. The Tesla charger might be worth it for the cord storage and side mount but the Grizzl-e can be 14-50 plugged in.

I think for a rental property, I agree with @bradtem. I wouldnt do any EVSE myself for a rental, I would do a plug, and advertise that and let people bring their own charging cord.

No worries about someone stealing it, damaging it, etc, yet still providing access to charging. Anyone concerned about EV charging is going to have some sort of portable charging connector already. I like permanent wall mounted units for primary usage, but for a rental, an outlet provides less maintenance, less chance of theft or damage, etc.

@zerompg I think an outlet is a bit higher risk for issues. Mandatory GFCI breaker, NEMA plug wear, idiots unplugging from the outlet while charging...a hardwired EVSE avoids that. You've probably noticed that most commerical rentals and lodges which advertise charging do it with a hardwired EVSE. I think there's good reasons for that.

I'd provide a hardwired J1772 plug, and I would do it using the latest Tesla J1772 wall connector, because it's priced right for a trustworthy name brand and has the gen3 power sharing features, should you have a use for that down the line.

Or for something heavier duty, I've heard good things about Clipper Creek units standing up well to heavy rental/lodging/visitor use. They certainly look heavier duty than a Tesla wall connector. They cost a lot more though. I'd probably start with the Tesla unit.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I hadn't thought of that. It is a serious concern.
Well, one hopes that anybody who travels with a mobile EVSE knows not to do this, but perhaps some might not. You could put a sign on the socket of course. It would be a real risk if you loaned them an EVSE to plug into the socket. If you buy a plug-based EVSE (and these can be had for well under $200 now, forget $550 for TWC with J1772) you can clamp it down so it can't be unplugged, and you want to do that anyway. Or you can get hardwired ones or even hardware a plug one by cutting off the plug.

But it's hard to see why to spend $550 on the TWC unless you need the TWC's wifi and power sharing features. Though you can often get a rebate on the installation of wired EVSEs which might push one that way. There is some value in a smart EVSE if you want to know how much energy your guests are taking, or bill them for it.

I hadn't thought of that. It is a serious concern.

Idiots will be idiots regardless of what you install. If you put in an EVSE they can kink, scrape, or bend the cord beyond a reasonable minimum radius. You or your property manager should add the outlet/EVSE to your regular inspection checklist, but good luck getting a property manager to do that. My inclination would be to install the EVSE, but it might be better to contact your insurance to see if they have recommendations.

If you're going to go the outlet route then it's probably even more important to use a high quality one.

I’m picturing this short term rental as a VRBO or similar, in that case I guess either an outlet or an EVSE would serve the need. The property owner might sleep easier with a hardwired EVSE and as a guest if there was a choice I’d pick the EVSE one if only because it’s easier than the MC.

I’m picturing this short term rental as a VRBO or similar, in that case I guess either an outlet or an EVSE would serve the need. The property owner might sleep easier with a hardwired EVSE and as a guest if there was a choice I’d pick the EVSE one if only because it’s easier than the MC.
Zero doubt that guests would prefer an EVSE be in place. The main reason to consider a socket is that it's cheaper and easier for you, not them. And there will be guests without a mobile EVSE -- to me, it's a must to have one on a road trip, but not everybody knows this. Another option is to put in the plug, and rent a mobile EVSE for a fee. But I would only do that if you are on-site or otherwise have a means to rent it. They are under $200 but that still means a lot of rentals to break even at $5/rental.

Reactions: Big Earl
I think for a rental property, I agree with @bradtem. I wouldnt do any EVSE myself for a rental, I would do a plug, and advertise that and let people bring their own charging cord.

No worries about someone stealing it, damaging it, etc, yet still providing access to charging. Anyone concerned about EV charging is going to have some sort of portable charging connector already. I like permanent wall mounted units for primary usage, but for a rental, an outlet provides less maintenance, less chance of theft or damage, etc.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I have a lot to think about. As of now, I'll just keep using the 10-30 dryer oulet thats in the garage. I'll be there in January and am meeting with an electrician about updating the service panel and adding something then.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I have a lot to think about. As of now, I'll just keep using the 10-30 dryer oulet thats in the garage. I'll be there in January and am meeting with an electrician about updating the service panel and adding something then.
Well, if you have a dryer plug, then you have a much cheaper option. Several companies sell boxes which "split" the dryer plug and disconnect the car if somebody uses the dryer. Around $350 to $450, which is much cheaper than an electrician unless your power panel is in the garage, in which case go that way.

The downside is that I think the car may complain about the interruption if charging when the dryer is on. But in reality most cars charge overnight and nobody is running the dryer at 1am. However, you can put up a note telling people this may happen if they run the dryer while charging.

What you really want would be an EVSE designed to go inline on the dryer plug, which takes the pilot wave to 0 amps if the dryer draws current, and the whole thing would cost little more than a regular EVSE, but nobody makes that at present.

Reactions: TunaBug
Well, if you have a dryer plug, then you have a much cheaper option. Several companies sell boxes which "split" the dryer plug and disconnect the car if somebody uses the dryer. Around $350 to $450, which is much cheaper than an electrician unless your power panel is in the garage, in which case go that way.

The downside is that I think the car may complain about the interruption if charging when the dryer is on. But in reality most cars charge overnight and nobody is running the dryer at 1am. However, you can put up a note telling people this may happen if they run the dryer while charging.

What you really want would be an EVSE designed to go inline on the dryer plug, which takes the pilot wave to 0 amps if the dryer draws current, and the whole thing would cost little more than a regular EVSE, but nobody makes that at present.
Thanks for the info. Amazon has 3 different ones that I can find, none of which are UL listed. I think I'll order the briidea for $199 and take it with me in January.

Thanks for the info. Amazon has 3 different ones that I can find, none of which are UL listed. I think I'll order the briidea for $199 and take it with me in January.
One modest problem with these units is that nobody travels with a dryer plug EVSE, though of course you can get that plug for the TMC (which I have) and wire something. You will need to provide an EVSE with this, set to max 24a. The Briidea is a great price. Some of the others come with 14-50 which is a dangerous thing to do if you don't know what you're doing, but does make it easier to adapt other EVSEs.

One reason they are not UL listed is that for regular use circuits that get frequent use, they are meant to be hardwired, not a dryer plug. The dryer plug is meant to be plugged in once for 10 years.

The best design for this would be a box that you hardwire into the box your current dryer socket is in, which then has an integrated EVSE that leads to your car plug, and has a socket for the dryer.

Splitters don’t meet code and shouldn’t be used in rental properties. That’s just creating unnecessary liability and risk.

Regarding a receptacle instead of a charging station, not all EV drivers are equipped with 240-volt EVSEs. Those who have them might not have the right adapter. For the best guest charging experience, I’d install a J-1772 charging station that will accommodate all electric vehicles without the need for adapters or special instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
Splitters don’t meet code and shouldn’t be used in rental properties. That’s just creating unnecessary liability and risk.

Regarding a receptacle instead of a charging station, not all EV drivers are equipped with 240-volt EVSEs. Those who have them might not have the right adapter. For the best guest charging experience, I’d install a J-1772 charging station that will accommodate all electric vehicles without the need for adapters or special instructions.
Nobody was suggesting a J1772 station wouldn't be better, obviously it would.
The receptacle, though, is cheaper. As to what fraction of serious road trippers it will serve, that's something I would like to see data on. Most Tesla drivers, I suspect, at least those who bought before they made it an extra.

Putting in charging is great and we would all like it. However, the fraction of guests who would need it is still small for a single property. (For a hotel it's another matter, we're getting close to the day that at a medium sized motel there will always be an EV driving guest.)

Today your guesthouse charging space might get used for a week or two out of the year, unless you are specifically attracting EV drivers.
That makes the question of EVSE vs. socket a real one for cost/benefit.