TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla now using deep neural net for auto wipers (2019.40)

Discussion in 'Software: Firmware Updates, Features, Tesla App' started by diplomat33, Nov 16, 2019.

1. diplomat33

diplomat33 Well-Known Member

In the release notes for 2019.40, Tesla confirms that it is using their first production deep neural net trained with over 1 million images of rain drops.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Kmartyn

Kmartyn Member

Hopefully we will see this by the end of the month. That leaves December for the feature complete FSD software that has been suggested, but I think highly unlikely.

Surprisingly my auto wipers seem to be working very well since the last update, contrary to what many others report.

• Like x 2
  3. emmz0r

emmz0r Senior Software Engineer

I thought they already used NN?

4. diplomat33

• Like x 1
  5. busaman

busaman Member

mine started working tonight with no rain so i switched them off.

• Funny x 3
  6. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

This is a long awaited improvement. It mists a lot here in Seattle and the wipers dont activate often enough in those conditions (or blowback from the car in front)

• Like x 4
  7. emmz0r

emmz0r Senior Software Engineer

Seems like it's completely reworked then! Great news. HW2 / 2.5 too?
    I recall now: They clearly had NN. Karpathy on the AI said they "shipped it" a year ago:

8. diplomat33

I hope Deep Rain will be available for HW2 and HW2.5. I would hate if that was only on the HW3 computer.

• Like x 2
  9. NHK X

NHK X Member

I’m still on 32.12.7 for our model x. I just want the old update lol.

10. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Although I tend to agree with you regarding the availability of the feature complete FSD what would be interesting is what new beta release FSD features will be available to early adopters by 12/31/19?
    Elon never said feature complete FSD would be available to all owners this year.

• Funny x 1
  11. diplomat33

Well but the website does say that though. It specifically says the features are coming later this year.

12. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Fairly sure it will continue to say that next year.

• Funny x 9
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  13. motocoder

motocoder M3 LR AWD w/FSD and premium interior

IOW: “We’re working on the website accuracy and anticipate the issue with website accuracy will be corrected by Jan 1, 2020.”

• Funny x 5
  14. rdunniii

rdunniii Member

They just improved the automation of the windshield wipers and you think the rest of autonomous driving system is only a couple of months away? Tehee. Y'all are funny. December 2025, maybe.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  15. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Active Member

Imagine how much energy is wasted on this, compared to a $5 rain sensor.

• Like x 15
    • Disagree x 2
  16. Padelford

Padelford Supporting Member

I’m not looking forward to another wiper software update.

When Tesla first issued auto wiper capability around the start of 2018, it was terrible. It took a few software updates to make it usable that year, and by the end of the year it worked pretty well.

Around the start of 2019, Tesla issued new auto-wiper software, supposedly with a new, improved algorithm. It was terrible, a big setback in auto wiper performance, and again it took a few software updates this year to become by now usable and perhaps better than 2018.

if the new software is HW3-dependent, owners with earlier configurations will suffer.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. Matziq

Matziq Member

How does the car "see" the raindrops? Is there a camera that looks at the windshield?

18. FMinMI

FMinMI Member

Three...

• Like x 4
  19. skyguy

skyguy Member

I'm encouraged by the suggestion that the wiper software will learn from my experiences. Most of my complaints about automatic wiper function could be improved by an option to adjust the sensitivity to my preferences. Like Kuhz, I drive through a lot of mist, and the current sensing is slower to react than I like.

20. kwag

kwag Member

Good! I was not impressed with the wipers here in the PNW where it never rains hard, but just misty and light rain 24/7. I always found the wipers to not wipe at all, or go way more often than needed.

• Like x 1