Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now using deep neural net for auto wipers (2019.40)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like the auto wiper has regress in this latest build. It's sprinkling outside with hardly visible water drops on the windshield, and the wipers are going non-stop like they are in a downpour. And there is no easy way to stop them either without keep on using the menu to turn them off and back on again.

First rainy days in the new to me AP1 Model S. I cannot believe how utterly bad the auto wipers are. I ended up just pressing the button myself from time to time. Why don't we have a simple timer option for the wipers? :mad:

Because then you wouldnt need AI and NN!

I agree, complexity for the sake of it. Give engineers tools and they will start playing with them.

It is certainly cool and clever to use NN to identify and count raindrops, but if a simpler system does a better job...... and simpler usually means I have a chance of understanding what it's trying to do.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought AP1 cars used a conventional rain sensor?

I don't know. If a conventional sensor is used, I'd expect to have the usual settings knob to adjust how often it wipes. There is no such option.

I have 4 options on the stalk:

- auto low (this is what I'd use in a light mist but it's bad because it just switches by itself to fast way more than needed. Wipes too much)
- auto high
- continuous low
- continuous high

I'd just like a regular timer to have it wipe evey few seconds without going crazy by itself when it thinks there's too much water. I even thought of making a small timer circuit and attaching it to the stalk in the back somewhere, connected to the "on demand wipe" button.

I don't know. If a conventional sensor is used, I'd expect to have the usual settings knob to adjust how often it wipes. There is no such option.

I have 4 options on the stalk:

- auto low (this is what I'd use in a light mist but it's bad because it just switches by itself to fast way more than needed. Wipes too much)
- auto high
- continuous low
- continuous high

I'd just like a regular timer to have it wipe evey few seconds without going crazy by itself when it thinks there's too much water. I even thought of making a small timer circuit and attaching it to the stalk in the back somewhere, connected to the "on demand wipe" button.
Our previous ten year old Mazda had auto wipers and it was very much like our Tesla's. AP1 cars don't have the hardware to work in real time with the neural net. We did have a problem with the wipers not being sensitive enough after a windscreen (windshield) replacement and the rain sensor camera had to be replaced. The service centre adjusted it and it now works OK.