Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now using deep neural net for auto wipers (2019.40)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with software v40 able to comment on whether “deep rain” is noticable better/different?
Just got the update 2 days so, it rained lightly in Atlanta and never activated.. so disappointed. It is worse than similar rain before the updated. Had to keep pushing the button as the slowest manual speed was too fast.

Just got the update 2 days so, it rained lightly in Atlanta and never activated.. so disappointed. It is worse than similar rain before the updated. Had to keep pushing the button as the slowest manual speed was too fast.

I imagine that in order for the neural network to learn, it will need to start with a lower activation threshold than before. There's positive reinforcement in the form of pressing the button to get it to wipe more often, but there's no negative reinforcement to punish the algorithm for wiping too frequently. This form of learning requires that it starts off wiping less than you would like, and will slowly learn to increase the frequency to your liking.

Reactions: Altes
In the release notes for 2019.40, Tesla confirms that it is using their first production deep neural net trained with over 1 million images of rain drops.

75534310_10157757029310912_2265410492031827968_o.jpg
[/QUOTE)
It Just Kills me that DEEP NEURAL NET BULSH-T cant do anything. wipers on auto still suck, What a load of C--P

I'm encouraged by the suggestion that the wiper software will learn from my experiences. Most of my complaints about automatic wiper function could be improved by an option to adjust the sensitivity to my preferences. Like Kuhz, I drive through a lot of mist, and the current sensing is slower to react than I like.
Oh Look More magical thinking...learning requires feedback...there is NO FEEDBACK MECHANISM Duh it doesnt get better over time it just continues to suck. unless it is having you manually active wipers and using that to detemine what is acceptable then its not doing S--t. 2 billion picture of raindrops does NOTHING to tell it when to activate wipers

Reactions: Shateam
It Just Kills me that DEEP NEURAL NET BULSH-T cant do anything. wipers on auto still suck, What a load of C--P

The release notes say that we can teach the auto wipers by intervening manually. So just manually hit the stalk whenever you need the wipers to wipe and the NN will learn and get better on the next software update.

Oh Look More magical thinking...learning requires feedback...there is NO FEEDBACK MECHANISM Duh it doesnt get better over time it just continues to suck. unless it is having you manually active wipers and using that to detemine what is acceptable then its not doing S--t. 2 billion picture of raindrops does NOTHING to tell it when to activate wipers

Yes there is a feedback mechanism. It says it right in the release notes. The feedback mechanism is when you intervene manually! It saves that data and sends it back to Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: arghx7 and navguy12
I’ve had some dense fog and heavy rain since getting the update and it’s actually done well so far. A couple times I did activate using the stalk. Was pretty impressed with performance with the dense fog and slight condensation it detected to wipe.

Reactions: diplomat33
I just got the latest update last night that included the neural net wipers. It rained here in the Philly metro area today. When the wipers first came on, it was just as bad as before. I thought, “Oh, great, the big fix is no better than before.” Within 5 minutes, though, things seemed to settle out and they work great now. I’m really happy with the result, though I need to see them work under more conditions. This was light rain, which used to drive my wipers into wild, unjustifiably manic flapping. In Auto mode I used to look like a psychopath with my wipers on max in a light drizzle.

I finally got to test the wipers. Before the update they sometimes worked during daylight, but at night they were awful. Especially in a light rain. They worked perfect in a light rain at night. I’ve been critical of auto wipers since day one and would challenge anyone that said they worked great before.

Still need to test a lot of types of rain but this is the first serious improvement I’ve seen in a long time.

This was on a Model X Raven with HW3.

Kind of curious where Auto High beam stands now. It used to be as bad as the wipers. And before this update (ever since V10) they seam better. Not sure if I’ve just tuned out them misbehaving or what. But I’d be surprised release notes wouldn’t mention it if they made significant effort I they didn’t here on the wipers.

It's been drizzling all day here in Rhode Island, and I went out to run some errands. The new wipers are still garbage, at least in today's conditions. (They don't wipe until the view is very badly impaired.) I filed a two-button bug report, but I used a stronger word than "garbage." :(

I got a chance to try Deep Wipe today with a pretty big swath of the Seattle rain spectrum (subliminal mist through strident drizzle).

I'm pleased to say that it worked very well! No override was required in almost 2 hours of driving in the rain, in both light and dark conditions. This is the first time I've driven this car in the rain without being acutely aware it was raining.

It's debatable whether a simple rain sensor should have been included, but at least some good may have come of its absence, as it led to Tesla's first foray into DNN. And who knows - maybe DW will ultimately be better than a simple sensor.

Perhaps (gulp) every cloud has a silver lining.

Reactions: MTOman and navguy12
What I've noticed so far is that it's definitely better in rain only conditions. However, if there's a bit of mist with the rain, it's no better and perhaps even worse. I've had my windshield get completely covered in rain and mist, and the auto wipers in high sensitivity, and it was not wiping. It seems like the system was highly trained for water drops, as Tesla wrote "deep neural network trained with over 1 million images for the detection of water droplets". Which I think is currently making it terrible when there's mist.

It has been raining like crazy the last week here in Vancouver

- the wipers seems to be over zealous sometimes. Going like crazy when it is not needed;

- it takes a while to get started. When it starts raining you sometimes have to manually start the wipers. Turning back to the auto setting after one swipe suffices to get the thing going;

- once the wipers are going it does OK, apart from being over zealous some times;

- when on Navigate on Autopilot and you wipe the screen manually, you get kicked out of Navigate on Autopilot with a message "poor weather detected.." Turning back the wipers to auto immediately reinstates Navigate on Autopilot without any change in weather.

I’ve had an opportunity to drive the car in a broader range of rain conditions now and I’m pretty happy with the NN wipers. I’ve seen everything from a fine mist to a steady, moderate rain and it has been great. I’d still like to see how it reacts to heavy rain or changes in intensity before I declare it perfected.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Granted, I only have 1 data point but the new auto wipers worked well the first time I needed them. It was snowing and the auto wipers came on automatically as soon as I put the car in Drive and wiped continuously at the correct rate to keep the snow off the wind shield.

Yeah these wipers suck. I have been in a few hours worth of rain and snow now. Pouring down and had to manually activate for it to start. Then when the rain was fully gone the wipers decided to do 3 wipes with nothing on the windshield, really doesn’t seem that good. I rate it a 6/10